Dan Arnautu

What Are Your Favorite Fiction Books?

5 posts in this topic

In our own development, seeing life from 100's of different perspectives I think can give us a preview to our own hero's journey and help us expand our mind and our realm of possibility. Fiction books seem to help in this regard.

• What fiction books have struck a chord with you the most?
  • What fiction books inspire you on your own hero's journey?
  • What fiction books have increased your creativity and expanded your realm of possibility?

My personal favorites:

• The Witcher Saga by Andrzej Sapkowski
  • The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho (a good intro to nonduality in my opinion)
  • The Green Mile by Stephen King

Hmm, I personally would include Autobiographies as well if we are looking at the fresh perspective standpoint, but still, that's not fiction.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Dan Arnautu

1 - High Windows by Philip Larkin. Larkin is a very interesting read. I know of no other poet that contemplated death as impactfully, philosophically and eloquently as he did. It's a shame many readers declined him since his Biographies and Selected Letters came out, since his death. 

2 - Along with him , his bud Kingsley Amis, who wrote various hero's journeys which had to do with ordinary life. Not very unique situations, not very ambitious things, but great characters and funny stories about what could happen in anyone's life. My favourites are On Drink, The Folks Who Lived On The Hill and Lucky Jim.

Alfred Jarry is not a read for everyone, but he often brought the ideia of "an infinite absulute" in between his works, for example, in the overlooked 'l'amour absolu', where the main character explores what is god and how could god be born out of the infinite universe, which is already itself. The genre of this work is often regarded as nonsenscial.

3 - I'd have to pick M.R. James's Ghost stories because it taught me how to write, and a Room of one's own by Virginia Woolf, because it taught me how to read.

Good choices. Like Harry Potter too.

Edited by Dantas

Robinson Crusoe -- Expanded my awareness with regards to human survival. Also it made me think deeply about life and the world in general.

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham

Edited by Joseph Maynor