Weltschmerz

Information Oversaturation

5 posts in this topic

I have been slowly implementing Leo's advice over the last two years, eating healthy, exercising and getting 7-7.5 hours of sleep per night.

However, when it comes to studying or reading books I just can't commit the information and implement it.

I have been trying to read at least one self-development book a month, however since the start of the year I have been slowly reading the 7 habits of highly effective people, and whilst the first few topics were easy to understand and implement, there seems to be way too much to try to understand and digest and I am too tired by halfway through the day to grasp the notions.

My purpose and drive are always there to improve, but I feel that I cannot apply it intellectually which is frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced this and overcome it?

Normally we take in what is needed at the time. Some things need to mature in us before taking the next step. We need to stop along the way to smell the flowers, and take in the scenery. Sit with it for a while to see what unfolds within us, or outside of us (seeing with a new attitude).

Let go of needing to read a book by a certain time. or needing to apply something intellectually (as such). But go along intuitively with what has been grasped by you. With patience, gentle and softness, the truth of the matter will surface.

Much of the self-development books are just that, they develop, more cunningly, the self. One side effect is intellect without sense.

Satisfaction does not come from outside. We buy, get, read, gather, all sorts of things only to build a giant bonfire (pyre) for the self. Realizing all this time was spent finding not what is, but what isn't. However, that is what is needed to be done to grasp what isn't (paradox).

We go through stages of hanging on, letting go; hanging on, letting go; until we start to realize that letting go is the key to our serenity. But first we need to hang on to understand the importance of letting go (another paradox).

So don't worry about it. It's part of discovering who we really are (not the self).

@Visitor that's true very much i think i made that mistake going do self development in a neurotic way wanting to see results within the next 3 weeks and get burned out by seeing to few results then giving up so, thx for that comment it was a bit of an eye opener.

You can get much done within a year but tracking progress over lets say 4 years can make you see how long stuff actually takes to master or learn if of course you are consistent with your practice.

18 minutes ago, Visitor said:

We go through stages of hanging on, letting go; hanging on, letting go; until we start to realize that letting go is the key to our serenity. But first we need to hang on to understand the importance of letting go

wow, love this. I think this was one of my bigger insights during the last shroom trip. It was kind of hard for me to formulate the insight. I had this deep struggle within, it kept choking me and I kept looking, seeking, doing, thinking and trying to grasp like crazy. then I suddenly realized That I need to let go and so I did. It felt lie such a release. Like struggling up an infinite mountain, reaching the top and then jump down in total bliss and freedom <3

thanks for putting this into words 

whatever arises, love that

Yeah.  You can't rush it.  Focus on practice instead of theory for a while.  I'm 39 years old and started reading the 7 habits when I was 22 years old.  So I've been doing personal development for 17 years now.  The funny thing is you will have to change to be ready for some of the theory to click.  My advice to you would be to start rigging-in and implementing some practices so you can get some results.  Keep a hand in theory at all times too.  As you grow and mature more and more of the theory will get ingrained in you and that will affect your practice.  Personal development takes years because you're maturing and changing as you get older.  You can't really rush things.  The way to hit the accellerator is not by more theory always, but my putting into practice what you already read combined with your own knowledge about yourself from where you stand now.