How to be wise

Enlightenment By Unattaching From Thoughts

6 posts in this topic

I was reading a book where the author helped us to unattach ourselves from our thoughts. By this process, negative emotions and bad habits caused by us believing thoughts would be unwired. So I was wondering, if I am able to work on unattaching from every thought that I currently believe in, then will I become enlightened? I mean, the ego is a belief that we have, and if I am able to unattach from that belief as well as any other belief that I have, I don't see a reason why I can't be conscious of absolute truth?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Thoughts are just one piece of the puzzle, there are much more layers and things to let go of.

B R E A T H E

12 hours ago, pluto said:

Thoughts are just one piece of the puzzle, there are much more layers and things to let go of.

So what are some examples of other things that I have to let go of, given that all negative emotions and bad habits come from attaching from thoughts.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

• On 5/31/2017 at 8:00 PM, How to be wise said:

I was reading a book where the author helped us to unattach ourselves from our thoughts. By this process, negative emotions and bad habits caused by us believing thoughts would be unwired. So I was wondering, if I am able to work on unattaching from every thought that I currently believe in, then will I become enlightened? I mean, the ego is a belief that we have, and if I am able to unattach from that belief as well as any other belief that I have, I don't see a reason why I can't be conscious of absolute truth?

Loosening the grip of thought identification is useful, so is seeing/noticing when and why you react negatively. Gaining a clear mind is highly beneficial for Self inquiry, which btw, thought is needed. So, not all thought is harmful or distracting. The issue is identifying yourself with/as the I-thought (ego), as your "true and real" identity. It isnt. It exists, because you experience it, but it's not "real" (it's ultimately illusion). It's just a thought, but it thinks it's real and co-opts consciousness when making its claim. Fully seeing through this illusion and identifying with your true nature as awareness/consciousness first and foremost with just an "association" with/as the "apparent" person, is secondary. But, there has to be a true "seeing" that this is the case. If you can manage all that and never confuse your true identity again. You could say you've obtained liberation, in a sense, or very close to it.

Edited by Anna1
Sp

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@How to be wise That is essentially self-inquiry / meditation.

Start by noticing: "I will become enlightened" << that's a thought!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.