Revolutionary Think

The Sadistic Job Market

7 posts in this topic

I don't know about any of you but, I absolutely despise job hunting. It all started in Community College where I worked with the career center to find a job and I'd just send in resumes and applications just to be ignored and over looked. So that's a whole year gone by of soul crushing job hunting going on. Then the next year is when the recession happens and I'm not happy. Job hunting becomes that much more torturous and I didn't have any plans to go to University but, I'm told I wouldn't get anywhere in life if I didn't. The third year of Community College I get lucky and get a job at the computer lab at my Community College. Then after that I work a service job. Now though I want to do something to make a name for myself and create a brand. I don't want the average 9 to 5 job but, I'm having a little trouble of how to go about this. Any advice? 

Of course a lot has changed since those days. What skills do you have that gets you the jobs you applied for and what do you usually say in the interviews? Also what kind of jobs are these? 

There is a reason why the job market sucks   -   Competition

If you have the requisite skills, you get to sit on the chair and sign checks or even have a cabin of your own. If you don't have those skills then there are enough jobs flipping burgers.

By the way, that job is slipping away too

Read the article :; A burger-flipping robot has just completed its first day on the job at a restaurant in California, replacing humans at the grill. Flippy has mastered ...Meet "Flippy", The Burger-Flipping 'Bot That CaliBurger Is Rolling Out

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Revolutionary Think Build a strong portfolio of your own projects and work, present it in a professional manner, and you'll have employers swooning. 90% of applicants are lazy and have little to show.

You need to learn how to get inside the mind of the employer to see what they find valuable in an applicant, and then nail that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I myself was curios to know about how our mismanaged schools don't teach any skills. So out of this curiosity I googled skills and jobs, then I found out there was a whole report by JP Morgan Chase about so many employers looking to hire although they couldn't find people with the skills they were looking for. The report is right here https://www.jpmorganchase.com/corporate/Corporate-Responsibility/document/54841-jpmc-gap-los-angeles.pdf in the latter pages of the report these corporate leaders where creating pathways to connect LA residents with skill opportunities. So on page 23 on the PDF there is a Digital Learning Academy in my community run by the YWCA and I gave them a call. The lady told me she was having an orientation the day after. I ended up going to the orientation and they had limited spots available so they had to interview people to see if they were right for the opportunity. Today I just got an email that said I was accepted to the program. Not only in this program do they teach you digital skills but, they also teach you interview and job skills so @Leo Gura I think the best idea is that whatever I do from what I learned there I create an online and offline portfolio for it. Wish me luck... 

@Revolutionary Think I doubt you even need an offiline portfolio these days. I'd put all my energy into a short but polished and powerful online portfolio. Go quality over quantity. And have a target audience in mind.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Based on your entrepreneurial knowledge, should someone start a buisiness as soon as possible or first find a job to learn some technical business stuff. If it is the second, do i need to waste time building my resume that i will eventually not need? If not how do you find a job without a good resume?