Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husseinisdoingfine

Is codecademy a good resource to learn computer programming?

5 posts in this topic

I've been recently teaching myself how to program in JavaScript. I want to teach myself coding and programming knowledge, but I don't want to do it through a University, rather I want to teach myself.

Is codecademy a suffice resource, or should I branch out? Do you recommend any books or courses I can order off of the internet?

Sincerely,

Husseinisdoingfine

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

is good for very newbies. The good stuff is freecodecamp and then from there build 2 or 3 decent projects/apps for your portfolio. Tha´ts how I landed an IT job with no college education

Edited by Javfly33

On 10/17/2024 at 2:05 PM, Javfly33 said:

is good for very newbies. The good stuff is freecodecamp and then from there build 2 or 3 decent projects/apps for your portfolio. Tha´ts how I landed an IT job with no college education

Could I please ask what programming languages did you learn and what exact projects did you build? I'm asking because I'm currently trying to carve a new trajectory for my life.

18 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Could I please ask what programming languages did you learn and what exact projects did you build? I'm asking because I'm currently trying to carve a new trajectory for my life.

I learned javascript, front end framework React (this is what they teach you in freecodecamp).

In the backend i also used javascript (Node.js).

I built 3 projects, one a todo list in Vue.js (another js framework)

Another one real-time collaborative todo list in React 

And another one a site to upload photos and create galleries of pictures that you can share with other people, using React in the front end and AWS Cloud services as the backend.

Maybe you can build a very simple one the first time to gain confidence, then keep incrementing difficulty until the third one which should be the most difficult one.

Also very important do not be discouraged the first times you will encounter 1000 errors and you will get stucked. Keep going and have patience because is the resilience and patience you can have when you encounter this errors that will make you a developer.  

Edited by Javfly33

Yes, but is codecademy enough to learn javascript from front to end, or should I supplement it with additional resources?