Thought Art

Oura Ring 4 - Worth It?

44 posts in this topic

I’m looking to gain more data around stress and sleep to correct what I believe are some unhealthy habits. Anyone use the Oura ring? It’s pricy but if it’s worth it I think I’ll make the investment. Love your thoughts and reviews. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

◭"89"

I can't comment on the product since I've never used it, but I was really eager to buy it in the past. Unfortunately, my job doesn't allow wearing jewelry or similar items, so it wouldn't make sense to wear it only outside of work. It seems like an impressive piece of technology, with a sleek design and the option to turn off Bluetooth, which is something that most smartwatches don't offer.

@shree Good point, shouldn’t be a problem for me. 

Man, it’s really expensive but I know that monitoring and improving my sleep, and having data around my health would be huge. I’m studying energy/ stress management and this would allow me to make more informed decisions and monitor my progress. 

◭"89"

@Thought Art 

I see they have a 30-day return policy. If I were you, I’d order it and test it for around 25 days to see if it meets your expectations. That way, you still have time to return it if it’s not worth the price for you.

Edit:

I find the price point of $350 acceptable if it works as advertised. My bigger concern is the recurring $6 monthly subscription.

Edited by shree

@shree I agree the 6 dollars a month is a complaint for some people. However, I look at it like this. Paying 6 dollars a month ensures that we get a quality service. I've noticed a difference in editing apps that are subscriptions based vs one time payment. The reality is things cost money to maintain.

I've got a bit of money from this planting season and I've contemplated that tracking my health could help me make big improvements in my mental health, and productivity which is important. It's pricey though. You are right, if I don't like it or think it's too expensive I can return it.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

59 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@shree Paying 6 dollars a month ensures that we get a quality service. I've noticed a difference in editing apps that are subscriptions based vs one time payment. The reality is things cost money to maintain.

That’s an excellent point!

Please share your experience here if you decide to get it.

Feels like a gimmick man, you sure you can't make these changes/observations without it?

Welcome to the "rules for thee, not for me" forum!

@LoseYourvelf Also a fair point.  I surely can, but these wouldnt' be data based changes. I think it would good to have solid data around my sleep, etc

I am likely to give myself a couple weeks to think about it.

From what I can tell, it's not a gimmick. It's going to supply accurate data on my health which I can track over a long period of time. I can then know for sure if this techniique improved sleep, stress, readiness, etc. Having solid metrics I think would be useful. 

What I am buying is not a stupid wring, or a fitbit which supplies general data like steps and heart rate, and some sleep data. But, from what I can tell this is more highly accurate data and metrics. 

Things like stress and sleep are some of the most valuable health habits for mental health, productivity and longevity. I could just wing it, but I don't really want to do that.

For people not serious about health, sure it is a gimmick I think.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

My throughts are:

With ChatGPT, the book The Power of Full Engagement, the Oura Ring and the decisions I make from the data my common place book for contemplation, and my meditation and Qigong habit I can vastly improve my health in a holistic and measurable way.

◭"89"

Oh, and I want to get into Blueprint eventually 

◭"89"

Decided to get it and try for 25 days. If I don’t like it, or find it too expensive for what it does I will return it. I’ll let you guys know if I like it, or if it’s a gimmick. I am known to occasion gimmicks.

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Oh, and I want to get into Blueprint eventually 

I never really thought much about it, but your comment just reminded me I could actually read his book.

7 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Decided to get it and try for 25 days. If I don’t like it, or find it too expensive for what it does I will return it. I’ll let you guys know if I like it, or if it’s a gimmick. I am known to occasion gimmicks.

Cool that you're testing it for 25 days. I'm super jealous!

While choosing the right size - Keep in mind your fingers can change a lot in size with cold, warm water, training, and rest, so find the right fit.

You definitely don't want to lose it swimming in an algae pool because your finger suddenly got thinner from cold exposure.

4 hours ago, LoseYourvelf said:

Feels like a gimmick man, you sure you can't make these changes/observations without it?

It's not really necessary. Any $100 smartwatch can probably do the same things. But like the Remarkable 2, if it helps you stay motivated, adds a cool futuristic vibe, and gives you that extra push, then it's awesome! But don’t listen to me, I just secretly want some Borg tech!

This sounds like me being super excited about buying an expensive juicer, using it for two days and then forgetting about it for years. 

I think you should prioritize something else to buy. Something much more important. 

Edited by Salvijus

You cannot love what you need. 

@shree I was comparing it to those watches. They don’t measure the same things or to the same depth. Though, they do measure some of the same things. Plus, a ring is more subtle I think. I went through many different devices and compared them with ChatGPT. I even considered an Apple Watch. 

I think the Fitbit looks really dumb, I just don’t see myself wearing it. And, the Apple Watch arguable could measure sleep, but it’s unlikely the data would be as accurate and I’d likely not wear it when I sleep. 

Ideally the ring is subtle enough.

I personally don’t wear a watch, and take bracelets off when I sleep. 

chatgpt

The Oura Ring and Fitbit have some similarities but also key differences:

Similarities

1.    Health Metrics: Both devices track similar metrics, including sleep, heart rate, and activity levels.

2.    Mobile App: Both have companion apps that provide detailed insights and data summaries.

Differences

1.    Form Factor: The Oura Ring is a ring, while the Fitbit is a wristband. This difference can affect comfort and the type of activities you can wear it for (the ring is generally less intrusive).

2.    Sleep Tracking: The Oura Ring is often praised for its advanced sleep tracking. It uses sensors to monitor body temperature, HRV (heart rate variability), and sleep stages in detail, which is helpful for understanding your recovery and readiness.

3.    Focus on Recovery: The Oura Ring emphasizes readiness and recovery more than Fitbit, providing a “readiness score” that reflects how prepared your body is for activity.

4.    Exercise Tracking: Fitbit devices, especially the higher-end models, often have built-in GPS and a broader range of exercise modes, which makes them better for tracking specific workouts like running or cycling. The Oura Ring, however, doesn’t have GPS and is less detailed for workout tracking.

If you’re looking primarily for a deeper understanding of your sleep, recovery, and overall wellness, the Oura Ring might be a good fit. But if you’re more focused on detailed exercise tracking and daily fitness goals, a Fitbit might be better suited to those needs.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Just now, Salvijus said:

This sounds like me being super excited about buying an expensive juicer, using it for two days and then forgetting about it for years. 

Could happen, which is why I may return it.

◭"89"

I can smell that energy of being under the advertisement effect from you. I've bought lots of shit I didn't need under that energy myself. But we all make mistakes and learn the hard way sometimes. 

Edited by Salvijus

@Salvijus Oooo, a refund. So hard.

I make 400-500 a day. So, it’s not so bad. I’ve got an emergency fund, and paying off debt. Overall, my organizing is improving. If I didn’t start measuring my spending very closely I’d never have made the improvements to my finances that I have. That being said, I have lots of improving to do. I suspect the same thing will be true with measuring my health. If I find myself not using it, I will simply return it. I’ll have the knowledge of the device, which will be worth the hassle of returns.

For me, investing in tool to maximize my health and productivity matter. I’ll openly admit a month from now what I think of this. I am wrong about stuff often. 

really want a data driven approach to my health. It seems low risk to me. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

9 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I think you should prioritize something else to buy. Something much more important. 

Like what? 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

7 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Like what? 

Idk, can't think of anything right now. It's hard for me personally to justify buying a ring like that when I wouldn't even use a ring like that for free.