Buck Edwards

Question to men : what's your description of masculinity?

81 posts in this topic

You can include traits or a general description. I want to write an essay on masculinity. I just want to gather opinions from men here on how they understand and view masculinity or better how they would describe it. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

Captain America and Aragorn are my favorite examples of masculinity.

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

A man should be a conscious monster.

I often compare it to being a gentleman gangster. Obviously that’s exaggerated and it doesn’t fit entirely. 

What I mean is. Treating everybody with respect. Being serious. Talking the talk and walking the walk. Keeping your word. Having integrity. Having healthy boundaries. Being honest. Having the ability communicate ideas efficiently. Being a strong and effective leader. Developing mastery of body and mind, continuously putting in the work and striving for excellence in all of his affairs.

I said „monster“. Because a really good man, is a dangerous man. But as I said. ( Ideally ) A conscious monster. Someone who is selfless and uplifts people and never hurts anyone in any way. 

Happily Insane

23 minutes ago, Marcel said:

Developing mastery of body and mind, continuously putting in the work and striving for excellence in all of his affairs.

I really liked this. How do you differentiate the feminine mastery of mind and body versus the masculine mastery of body and mind? Tough question, I know, it's okay if you don't want to answer. 

Edited by Buck Edwards

When you see an animal immersed in only its instinct, that's how a man should be. 

When a man is sitting around humming and haring about what others think, that is not masculine

14 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

Singleminded love for oneself.

Sounds like a mental disorder xD

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

54 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Well the moment i placed myself first and world second(in my mind) that's when things unlocked in me,but i know you think topics throughly so i would wanna know what's a man from you?

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

1 hour ago, NoSelfSelf said:

57 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Sounds like Solipsism lol

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

How much of this is True? 

By the way it's quite motivating even for a woman. 

(I'm not satisfied with the answer) 

I asked chatgpt about it and this is what I got —

Masculinity is a set of attributes, behaviors, and roles generally associated with men and boys. It's a social construct, meaning its definition and expectations can vary across cultures, historical periods, and even individual experiences.

Key aspects of masculinity often include:

Physical strength and prowess: This can involve athleticism, physical labor, or a focus on physical appearance.

Emotional control: Men are often expected to suppress their emotions, particularly vulnerability or sadness.

Independence and self-reliance: The ability to handle challenges on one's own without relying on others.

Aggression and dominance: This can manifest in competitiveness, assertiveness, or a desire for control.

Breadwinning and providing: The responsibility for financial support and protecting one's family.

It's important to note that these are just some of the common traits associated with masculinity, and not all men conform to these stereotypes. Additionally, the concept of masculinity has evolved over time, and there's a growing recognition of the diversity of masculine experiences.

Would you like to discuss a particular aspect of masculinity, or perhaps explore how it's portrayed in different cultures or historical periods?

1 hour ago, NoSelfSelf said:

It's the opposite, selfless.

Masculinity is formed in the abandonment of libidinal investment towards the image of the self (imaginary in Lacan, and the imaginary order in general) for the investment on external objects (and symbolic order in general)

"Love for oneself" resembles the neurotic tendency (that we all have more or less) to cut off the phallus in order to actually limit the capacity of the signifier to castrate us, and thus to overcome the crisis of secondary narcissism.

It is the fascist, self-denying strategy of "You can't castrate me, since I no longer have a phallus" by cutting you off from the outside world (signifiers), but in fact you expose yourself to relational and even sexual problems because you don't recognize the mirror.

Edited by Schizophonia

The devil is in the details.