Something Funny

How are you supposed to have time and energy for everything?

37 posts in this topic

How on earth is it possible to:

• Have a job
  • Have a social life
  • Spend time with your family
  • Workout: cardio, strength training, and flexibility
  • Have a relationship
  • Do personal development and spirituality
  • Have time for yourself to relax, enjoy your hobbies, and whatever
  • Eat healthy

Are there people who actually manage to do all of these and not burn out or is this just a self-help myth of an ideal life?

Posted (edited)

Imagine you were in a video game, where you had like 10 things you could upgrade. But you had limited coins. You’d want to upgrade everything all at once, but that would make the game too easy and not worth playing anymore. 

So you quickly start paying attention and learning which thing to upgrade according to your style of play and the specific requirements of the part of the game you’re in at that time.

You learn to prioritise. 

Edited by HMD

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

1 minute ago, HMD said:

You learn to prioritise. 

That's like my greatest weakness, I think. 

@Something Funny Don’t be hard on yourself. Learning how to prioritize is really tough. You have to learn how to sacrifice. Sacrifice is scary and you may not have thought that it’s something you would have to do one day. 

Give yourself some grace. You are learning the game, it’ll be fun once you get a hang of it. 

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

These are mainly normal stuff that can be done interchangeably if neither one is done excessively. Eating healthy takes almost the same amount of time to eat unhealthily if managed properly and the right choices are made. 

Most of what you mentioned pretty much everybody or most people are accomplishing those. 

You can have a job while eating healthy and spend time with friends and family and exercising for half hr a day while still being in a relationship. The only one that might be a problem is having a social life if everything else is balanced, which can still be incorporated like twice a month for a busy person.

Know thyself....

@Princess Arabia lets see how it looks on practice:

• Wake up at 5:00 and go to the gym
  • 2 hours in the gym
  • Get to work by 10:00
  • Work until 18:00
  • Get home at 19:00
  • Feel dead inside for a bit and lie down to recover for 10 min
  • Cook for 20 minutes, eat for 20 minutes, clean after yourself.
  • That's 20:00
  • Spiritual/personal development practice of choice for 1 hour
  • It's 21:00, time to go to bed.

Rinse and repeat next day.

This still doesn't include socialization, family time, dating, hobbies and rest.

Additionally:

1 hour of personal development/spirituality is really not that much.

I didn't even include general cleaning, buying groceries, etc.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Eating healthy takes almost the same amount of time to eat unhealthily

Eating a bag of chips or ordering from under eats is 10 times faster then buying healthy food and then cooking a decent meal.

Not sure how you can optimize them to be at the same speed.

Edited by Something Funny

1 minute ago, Something Funny said:

@Princess Arabia lets see how it looks on practice:

• Wake up at 5:00 and go to the gym
  • 2 hours in the gym
  • Get to work by 10:00
  • Work until 18:00
  • Get home at 19:00
  • Feel dead inside for a bit and lie down to recover for 10 min
  • Cook for 20 minutes, eat for 20 minutes, clean after yourself.
  • That's 20:00
  • Spiritual/personal development practice of choice for 1 hour
  • It's 21:00, time to go to bed.

Rinse and repeat next day.

This still doesn't include socialization, family time, dating, hobbies and rest.

Additionally:

1 hour of personal development/spirituality is really not that much.

I didn't even include general cleaning, buying groceries, etc.

This is hypothetical. Gym can be half hr or at home. Work can be 6-7hrs even though most work 8. You can meal prep for the week. I mean there are different alternatives.

Know thyself....

2 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

Eating a bag of chips or ordering from under eats is 10 times faster then buying healthy food and then cooking a decent meal.

Not sure how you can optimize them to be at the same speed.

Choosing a bag of chips or choosing an apple is the same amount of energy and time.

Know thyself....

Just now, Princess Arabia said:

This is hypothetical. Gym can be half hr or at home. Work can be 6-7hrs even though most work 8. You can meal prep for the week. I mean there are different alternatives.

It is not hypothetical, it is literally how my day looks like (when I am doing well)

1. You can't do shit in half an hour. A warm up alone takes 15 minutes

2. Going to the gym before work is already an optimization, working out at home is not much faster and you don't have all the equipment necessary.

3. I work 8 hours.

4. Meal prep could be an option, although I am not a fun of eating cold food that has spend a week in the fridge.

3 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Choosing a bag of chips or choosing an apple is the same amount of energy and time.

Good luck getting full after eating an apple.

I'm not saying life doesn't require time and energy; but it can be done obviously because you didn't mention anything alien, just normal stuff, and people are doing it. Just takes a little coordination, effort, intention and prioritization. A lot of stuff can also be condensed as in meal prepping and also working out by walking to the store or cycling to a friends house.

Know thyself....

Just now, Something Funny said:

Good luck getting full after eating an apple.

That wasn't my point. The same time and energy it takes to order Chinese is the same time and energy it takes to order a Greek salad. 

Know thyself....

1 minute ago, Princess Arabia said:

I'm not saying life doesn't require time and energy; but it can be done obviously because you didn't mention anything alien, just normal stuff, and people are doing it. Just takes a little coordination, effort, intention and prioritization. A lot of stuff can also be condensed as in meal prepping and also working out by walking to the store or cycling to a friends house.

And yet, I am yet to meet a person who does all of these and isn't on a verge of a mental breakdown. Even Leo seems to hyper focus on just a few things at a time.

A lot of stuff can also be condensed as in meal prepping and also working out by walking to the store or cycling to a friends house.

Just cycling or walking isn't really a holistic form of exercise and isn't sustainable in the long term. I cycle to work, 10km each way, and it definitely isn't enough

Also, one may wonder how enjoyable is life where you need to condense and optimize everything to be productive enough.

That wasn't my point. The same time and energy it takes to order Chinese is the same time and energy it takes to order a Greek salad. 

Okay, you are right here.

3 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

It is not hypothetical, it is literally how my day looks like (when I am doing well)

1. You can't do shit in half an hour. A warm up alone takes 15 minutes

2. Going to the gym before work is already an optimization, working out at home is not much faster and you don't have all the equipment necessary.

3. I work 8 hours.

4. Meal prep could be an option, although I am not a fun of eating cold food that has spend a week in the fridge.

Ok so you. This is not everybody. Topics like these are not general and everyone's life is different. There are people who only work out half an hr day. Some work from home. Some use a treadmill at home while on the computer. Some only eat raw foods, some only eat lightly and foods are 10/15mins to prepare. Some.......i mean this topic is highly customizable and it's not one size fits all. No sense in us going on and on about our individual lives on the topic because that doesn't prove these things aren't doable.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

By the time the week is done, it's time to prep again, so no one is saying to eat foods that has been laying around for a week. Salads can be cold, a microwave or oven can be used to heat up and foods don't have to be prepared all the way as in a big batch of rice for the week and prep veggies and sautee as needed. Listen, there are ways and that's why there are coaches to help people or advice on forums to give and life goes on. Resources are plentiful and so are excuses.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

4 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Resources are plentiful and so are excuses.

And so are bullshit standards and expectations that capitalism and self-help industry in particular will brainwash you with so that they can sell you courses and coaching sessions.