Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyubov

Thoughts on Scott Galloway?

19 posts in this topic

I’ve listened to this guy and he is very well off financially and is an interesting speaker. The issue I have though with his viewpoint is to me it just seems soulless and self centered to the point at the expense of others. He seems to really benefit from a system that greatly exploits people in order for others to be well off. He also says not to follow your passions which to me I believe are the doorways to our most fulfilling and unique lives being our authentic selves. Lastly he equates heavily with having to earn love with being financially successful which to me only feeds the false notion that we need people to complete us, a person spiritually aligned tends to be indifferent towards relationships and their wellbeing is not rooted in this ever changing dynamic. I appreciate that he speaks up for young men and he does seem to have some sensible values about policy reform and old people amassing wealth, yet he seems to have done the same for himself. He’s sort of presented in this thought space as a more alternative and holistic voice regarding the challenges we face with wealth inequality today but to be honest there’s something still soulless and at the core of his belief system built largely around a system that acts based off human scented mind / survival rather than higher guidance. In his belief system the core problems of our exploitive economic model are not actually resolved. He would probably disagree with me and I’m not saying he’s entirely wrong but some of the stuff he says I don’t agree with. 

What are your thoughts? 

“Let’s be honest, it’s the most boring shit that makes you rich” to me right here this is the exact, soulless problem our society has today. Maybe it’s just my ideal? But this is a recipe to living a spiritual broke life with a full bank account. I’ve had half a million in cash sitting in my bank at one stage in my life and I can say this, no amount of cash can make up for living a boring inauthentic, passionless life.

“Find your talent not your passion” I’m not even sure what this means? Usually the thing a person is most passionate about holds their greatest talents. 

Edited by Lyubov

Don't expect too much from a Wall Street/ marketing guy.

You want a marketing guy to have a soul? Haha

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't expect too much from a Wall Street/ marketing guy.

You want a marketing guy to have a soul? Haha

How did you attract or learn to make or manifest, whatever words you use, the flow of money align with your passions and interests? I see clearly you love spirituality and learning and teaching. Originally you wanted to do video games and you were earning some money through that but that wasn’t your life purpose or zone of genius. I know what my life purpose is and what my zone of genius is but where I create confusion for myself is aligning it with money, especially as a creative person who perhaps has ideals and values I don’t want to break for money. What do you do to have what you love to do align with money? 

20 hours ago, Lyubov said:

What do you do to have what you love to do align with money? 

I started an unrelated business to earn the capital I needed to pursue my passions.

You can't just be foolishly utopian, you must be pragmatic and learn business skills. You have to master the art side and business side. Learn how the business world works and then combine that with your passion and art.

Galloway is teaching you the hard business part. The art part you learn elsewhere. The spiritual part you learn elsewhere. Then you combine all the parts in your own unique way. These are all just different skillsets that you gotta learn and tie together. Don't expect one person to teach you the whole package. You package it yourself.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura Have you kept up with SEO? If so, I'm curious how significant it is these days. I know it's important for local SEO stuff but is content marketing for SEO still a thing or have people mostly given up on it? Also, now that Google is answering many questions at the top of SERPs, I wonder if it's more and more a lost cause. 

Edited by Joshe

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I started an unrelated business to earn the capital I needed to purpose my passions.

You can't just be foolishly utopian, you must be pragmatic and learn business skills. You have to master the art side and business side.

What was the sort of the big leap though or inflection point that made your passion financially successful though? I would assume the unrelated business which gained you skills that helped monetize your passions played a role as well as the capital, but say I had a reasonably sustainable income source that extends my runway to pursue my passions. What made your passions become financially successful while remaining true to yourself? Or was it just a matter of being responsibly and flexible and sticking with it until it took off and you could grow it. It all unfolded organically ?

Just now, Joshe said:

Have you kept up with SEO?

No.

Things are very different now.

@Leo Gura try visiting BioMed Health Center in La Jolla, CA to heal your fatigue 

In case it's useful to anyone: Google has a grant program that gives non-profits $10,000 per month in free advertising. 

12 hours ago, Lyubov said:

He also says not to follow your passions

Of course he is soulless, but what he really recommends people do is to follow something with high employment rate and what they are good at; not just what they are passionate about. Makes alot of sense if you think about it. 

For those who don't know what they want to do, picking something they have a natural talent for and sticking with it makes alot of sense. This is way better than doing nothing.

5 hours ago, enchanted said:

Of course he is soulless, but what he really recommends people do is to follow something with high employment rate and what they are good at; not just what they are passionate about. Makes alot of sense if you think about it. 

For those who don't know what they want to do, picking something they have a natural talent for and sticking with it makes alot of sense. This is way better than doing nothing.

I’m not saying it doesn’t make sense. From a certain perspective it’s a good idea and for some people if they believe that is right for them then go for it. I thought what we are doing here though is cultivating our connection to soul which is what is true. Being true and authentic. Not purely strategic / survival minded about money because we believe money guarantees safety (tell that to Kobe Bryant who died a multi millionaire in a helicopter crash).

I’m not a expert on what Scott believes but a lot of what I heard from him is based largely around avoiding hardships in life and gaining relationship opportunities via financial abundance. Following a skill set that you are good at and that is currently economically viable (not everyone has at first, evident talents that are economically viable), but then ignoring your intuition and higher guidance which says “this isn’t actually what I want, there’s something else I’m actually passionate about and that is truly my life purpose.” Is this good life advice if we are wanting to live true lives? Does one value truth if their whole world view is based around a strategic money plan that is in place largely due to fear of lacking relationships and experiencing hardships? The man owns many houses and is rich as shit? He half handedly doubts, all be it in a respectful way, 50k euro a year European model which many of those countries have some of the highest levels of happiness and fulfillment. 

I see his point of view and from a perspective he is realistic about hardships. I don’t disagree that there are hardships in life and there is a place for natural strategic thinking, I don’t know. I think his path looks like it’s paved with good intentions that will lead to a more fulfilling and happy life but I have serious doubts about that, from a Wall Street guy I don’t know. He seems very sensible, much more so than the average Wall Street / tech guy but the core of his teaching I think is still based around living according to fear and avoiding pain rather than following intuition and truth. 

And I’m not saying working in a bank or finance or sciences doesn’t have its place or may be the truthful for many people but if that’s one’s true calling then follow that, but just picking it solely based off of fear around not having a relationship or money to thrive with several mansions and $100 million. I don’t know. Maybe I’m not making sense 

if someone doesn’t know what they want to do, I would invite them to do self inquiry and discover higher guidance within, try new things, follow passion. He says not to follow passion. FOLLOWING YOUR FUCKING PASSIONS IS PRECISELY WHAT BRINGS CLARITY AND CLEARS UP NOT KNOWING WHAT TO DO! Maybe following passion one discovers their natural talents and gifts are not currently economically viable, or they are, maybe they need some more expanding and to bring in more skills.

I’ve found most people’s natural talents and gifts are their passions. Maybe this is just a game of words and most people don’t try enough stuff and haven’t done enough self inquiry so they think because they enjoy playing piano as a hobby that it’s their passion. Passion is the feeling of joy being connected to truth and oneness, not the enjoyment of some hobby. 

3 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

I thought what we are doing here though is cultivating our connection to soul which is what is true. Being true and authentic. Not purely strategic / survival minded

You can't cultivate your connection to soul if you cannot master material survival.

Be careful getting ahead of your skiis.

Soul is not gonna pay your bills.

The whole challenge here is that you must master both, and balance them finely.

I can't run Actualized.org if I am broke.

Edited by Leo Gura

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't cultivate your connection to soul if you cannot master material survival.

Be careful getting ahead of your skiis.

Soul is not gonna pay your bills.

The whole challenge here is that you must master both, and balance them finely.

Very good point and I completely agree, balance is key here. I don’t see how cultivating soul though, following intuition, passion and higher guidance, comes after survival. I believe both spirituality and attracting financial wellbeing, building pragmatic skillsets, can all grow together, not one in front of the other but all at once in balance. It just seems like Scott misses this other spiritual part. I’m not saying ignore all pragmatism but what is pragmatism with out the drive of passion behind it? 

Edited by Lyubov

14 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

I don’t see how cultivating soul though, following intuition, passion and higher guidance, comes after survival.

Because if you're dead you can't do anything else.

Everything in this world sprouts from money, whether it’s eating a delicious pizza, becoming conscious that you’re God dreaming your human life, or walking in a park full of pine and cherry trees while holding the hand of a beautiful and mysterious girl.

It’s the money world. That's just how it is. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Because if you're dead you can't do anything else.

sure, of course. but I definitely see a way to balance both, I don't think there isn't room for spirituality even in very dire survival situations. If anything it can help with survival in terms of clear thinking, balance and moving forward in the best way possible. 

This line of thinking seems to go too far to one of the extremes. there's always room for spirituality even if survival is what truly needs attention at the moment. 

Edited by Lyubov

5 minutes ago, Lyubov said:

but I definitely see a way to balance both,

So do it then.

1 hour ago, jimwell said:

Everything in this world sprouts from money, whether it’s eating a delicious pizza, becoming conscious that you’re God dreaming your human life, or walking in a park full of pine and cherry trees while holding the hand of a beautiful and mysterious girl.

It’s the money world. That's just how it is. 

yes it's true. I'm not saying I'm anti-money and I'm not saying I'm such an idealist that I will say it's the root of all evil and we need to rework the planet so money no longer exists. I accept money and realize it's part of reality and a part of me. I am working on integrating money in a healthy way. I'm just saying let's not entirely lose sight of the bigger picture and let our logical survival mind run the show. We need to stay in touch with our higher guidance 

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

So do it then.

sure thanks for your input