Leo Gura

Punctuation, Capitalization, Grammar

103 posts in this topic

You should always consider the fact that for a lot of people English is not the first language. They still try their best. People will only learn by interacting with others. It's not a matter of laziness. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

11 minutes ago, Buck Edwards said:

You should always consider the fact that for a lot of people English is not the first language. They still try their best. People will only learn by interacting with others. It's not a matter of laziness. 

English is my third language. Without actively forcing myself to use proper vocabulary and grammar, I wouldn’t have become fluent.

There were a few moments in 2018-2019 when my posts were incoherent. Being pushed by mods and Leo to be more clear and succinct only helped. So, if anything, this is going to help non-native speakers the most. 

Chaos, Entropy, Order

1 minute ago, Ero said:

English is my third language. Without actively forcing myself to use proper vocabulary and grammar, I wouldn’t have become fluent.

There were a few moments in 2018-2019 when my posts were incoherent. Being pushed by mods and Leo to be more clear and succinct only helped. So, if anything, this is going to help non-native speakers the most. 

Warning points are very demoralizing and demotivating. 

Leo doesn't understand this because he himself never received any warning points. So it's like hypocrisy or double standards. 

Also a bit of bias frankly since he is the owner of this website. But he never understands the experience of being an average member here. So double standards again. 

16 minutes ago, Buck Edwards said:

Leo doesn't understand this

I do understand, which is why I asked Mods to send out PMs vs giving warning points.

We try to resolve issues via PM when possible.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is a notice for everyone who posts:

We are cracking down on people who post without proper punctuation and capitalization. Properly capitalize your posts and titles. Use proper punctuation in your sentences. Use proper grammar.

I will be handing out warning points to people who chronically refuse to capitalize and punctuate their posts.

Make sure that you properly capitalize your title when starting a new thread. Do not make all lowercase thread titles.

To Mods: if you see people posting without proper punctuation, capitalization, and grammar, send them a private message informing them to start doing it or they will receive warning points in the future.

Here is a brief guide to proper capitalization:

https://writer.com/blog/capitalization-rules/

@Leo Gura While you're at it, and respectfully saying, what about cracking down on overly negative, non-sense posts and all that? I noticed quite a bit of that. I often notice some people going on long rants that make absolutely no sense, for example.

5 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I will personally appoint myself to Punctuation and Capitalization Moderator🫡

Okay; you will not have any punctuation issues from me.

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Do what works

10 minutes ago, Jayson G said:

what about cracking down on overly negative, non-sense posts and all that?

You'd have to cite examples, I don't know what you mean.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

"It's just a thought" 😝

Where is your full stop good sir?

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If ya'll don't behave yourselves we're switching the forum to Morse code.

xD

Where is your comma after yourselves kind sir?

I see its one rule for those in power: and another for the rest of us.

Do the right thing and ban yourselves.

P.S. You may be pardoned, if a small donation is made to me.

Be-Do-Have

Do what works

1 minute ago, Buck Edwards said:

It's always like that. Frustrating tbh. 

You mean they always get pardoned if they make a small donation?

Be-Do-Have

Do what works

I must admit I purposely kept my titles lower case as I noticed a correlation between that and the amount of views a post received. I much prefer proper clean and neat titles. 

21 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You'd have to cite examples, I don't know what you mean.

@Leo Gura Yeah I didn't want to call anyone out, but you've called them out in the past so I guess its already on your mind. 

1 hour ago, Buck Edwards said:

How you guys collect warning points is beyond me. Been here for 6 years and am yet to get one.

Maybe I should treat it like a badge or sum.

Chaos, Entropy, Order

29 minutes ago, Ero said:

How you guys collect warning points is beyond me. Been here for 6 years and am yet to get one.

I have none either. Been here 1 year. 

1 hour ago, Ero said:

If you don't get off on bullying others, aren't very emotional reactive, aren't a drama queen and/ or don't troll too hard, then imo you won't rack up warning points too much.

And some users on here used to LOVE drama lol.

Be-Do-Have

Do what works

7 minutes ago, Ulax said:

If you don't get off on bullying others, aren't very emotional reactive, aren't a drama queen and/ or don't troll too hard, then imo you won't rack up warning points too much.

And some users on here used to LOVE drama lol.

It's common for mentally ill people to get emotionally reactive. Not using it as an excuse, but just giving it as an explanation. It's not easy to control emotions. Doesn't mean they should be severely punished for that. There are always better ways to handle conflicts than scapegoating people for their emotionality. There's a valid reason why there's a mental health section on the forum. You're supposed to be expecting all kinds of people on a self help forum. 

Edited by Buck Edwards

I'm an e.e. cummings type of guy (the poet who legally changed his name to write it in all-lowercase so yes, that name is proper-case). There's a certain sovl and aesthetic when it comes lowercase and off-punctuation and that's why I deliberately use it for some of my threads, not because I forgot to not be sloppy. I surely hope ya'll don't go Nazi on it in the Off-Topic/Fun or Journal sections, that ain't too much fun like yikers fr fr

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

10 minutes ago, Buck Edwards said:

It's common for mentally ill people to get emotionally reactive. Not using it as an excuse, but just giving it as an explanation. It's not easy to control emotions. Doesn't mean they should be severely punished for that. There are always better ways to handle conflicts than scapegoating people for their emotionality. There's a valid reason why there's a mental health section on the forum. You're supposed to be expecting all kinds of people on a self help forum. 

I was just highlighting some types of people who tend to be the ones who break guidelines on here imo. As, generally, if you don't break guidelines you can't get warning points.

I've noticed some folk seemed to break guidelines only when feeling strong emotions. Usually when someone else says something inflammatory. But outside of those triggered moments wouldn't break guidelines.

Whether or not they should get warning points in response is a different question. On that I get your point, and agree in part. I think its best to try and to explore more diplomatic options first. But at a certain point you still have to hold people accountable for their actions. A way of doing so is warning points. Can think of it like compassion with boundaries.

Be-Do-Have

Do what works

I thought this place is just an informal chatterbox, not an off-shoot from LinkedIn profiles. Haven't we already established that the "real work" is the one being done directly in the real world outside of here anyways?

Edited by lostingenosmaze

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

7 hours ago, Ero said:

With all the spiritual mumbo jumbo people forget to wipe their ass.

One of the best things I've read in the forum so far. What a punch line!

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes virtuous and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

3 hours ago, Ero said:

How you guys collect warning points is beyond me.

Discussion of torrenting, profanity directed at a covid denier amidst the peak of covid, calling Joseph Maynor stupid.

The last one, I have no regrets about, the guy was total pain in the ass most of the time. The only one worse than him that I can remeber right now was the "stage coral" bodybuilder guy who boasted "I have more upvotes per post than Leo, listen to me."

Edited by Girzo