FourCrossedWands

The most overrated Movies/TV series?

228 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I am opposed to the entire genre of anime in the same way that I am opposed to grown men playing Dungeons & Dragons.

@Leo GuraWhy are you opposed to grown men playing DnD? I know it is probably in tounge and cheek, but I am curious to your reason.  

Edited by JTL

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

It's funny how graphic scenes of the mass slaughter of orcs is not considered offensive, but one titty and people consider it unsafe.

#OrcsNeedLuv2

It's funny how its okay to cruelly farm and slaughter animals for food, then decorate their corpses and present them as a wholesome family meal. But as soon as you want to do the same thing to a human you are called a criminal and a psychopath.

#CannibalsNeedLuv2

So many things try to be cynical, sardonic, and edgy, because it seems to give people a free pass from being considered cheesy or cliche, but that's just some weird bias people have right now. It's ok if what you make is unoriginal and uninteresting as long as it is mean spirited enough, I don't get it.

And anything related to feeling on any kind of subtle level doesn't matter. Sadness and anger of a really overt and dramatic form shown in a cliche kind of way is how it's supposed to be done. But really subtle journeys of the types of feelings that don't really have a solid name or form aren't part of storytelling, just really obtuse stuff. And this may sound snobbish but really something better would probably come off a childish to most people and might not even be considered professionally correct.

The depths of the subconscious continue to only ever be shown in a horror context, the magical other types of happiness hidden down there are still horrifying to people.

Edited by Mulky

1 hour ago, FourCrossedWands said:

The story is average, the characters are bland

I disagree with this but you could say that it is subjective.

1 hour ago, FourCrossedWands said:

(either good or evil)

This is a factually incorrect and lazy analysis.

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

@Leo Gura  original LOTR trilogy has this very noble, warm, and classy vibe to it which is very unique. And I think that's what people love about it.

There isn't too much gore or cruelty
There are no sex scenes / vulgar scenes in general. Romance is shown in an actually romantic way.
Everybody acts based on values and principles
It's a simple story of good vs evil

It gives you a break from all the other movies and tv shows.

I watched this video essay recently that hits on this point.

@Joel3102 great video, thanks for sharing. I agree that it takes emotional maturity to be able to create a "sincere" movie vs a movie that constantly uses Deadpool jokes to relief the tension.

@Joel3102 I remember that whenever we would watch some kind of serious movie or documentary at school, a lot of kids in the class would do the same things of loosening the tension of a serious topic with silly jokes. Because actually sitting and taking it seriously is uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's funny how graphic scenes of the mass slaughter of orcs is not considered offensive, but one titty and people consider it unsafe.

These people are the same that get offended by MMA as barbaric and start watching violent action films at the next breath.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes virtuous and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

7 hours ago, Mulky said:

Breaking Bad

Dune

Entourage

Black Mirror

American Horror Story 

Breaking Bad? You should watch it first. 

Breaking Bad is Awesome.

Better Call Saul is overrated, but still good. The character Jimmy McGill, however, was way better.

Edited by Nemra

9 minutes ago, Nemra said:

Braking Bad is Awesome.

Better Call Saul is overrated, but still good. The character Jimmy McGill, however, was way better.

How is Better Call Saul overrated? It was really good.

20 minutes ago, Davino said:

These people are the same that get offended by MMA as barbaric and start watching violent action films at the next breath.

It never stops to amuse me how dumb the phrase "these are the same people" is, lol.

Also, imagine conflating actors performing on screen with people actually punching each other in the face and giving each other brain damage for show. MMA is one of the most low conscious and toxic sub cultures ever.

My favorite part of American Psycho the book was the long brand name descriptions of each item of clothing and accessories the characters were wearing. I seem to remember they went on and on to the point where you wondered if they were wearing 3 outfits all on top of each other, which fit the surreal vibe of the book.

The discussion on sincerity vs irony reminds me of a discussion in another thread recently about how western society is stuck in post-modern thinking. Everyone knows you can't just sincerely like something, there's a personality trend to have some cynical detachment about things. But it's like people forgot why that attitude originally was valuable, and it's arguable that the downfall of western society is in being unable to make that leap to the next paradigm where irony and criticism can be used in service of actually improving culture and society, rather than just being a pose.

1 hour ago, Davino said:

That's like saying people who play paintball shouldn't be offended by an actual war. Fantasy versus reality...

45 minutes ago, Nemra said:

Braking Bad is Awesome.

There's a meme right there.

12 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

"The chemistry teacher is now obsessed with fixing brakes instead of making meth!" I tried it's not perfect. I'm only on the free version...

1.jpg

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

How is Better Call Saul overrated? It was really good.

Well, I watched Better Call Saul before Breaking Bad.

I felt that they wanted to do the same thing for Better Call Saul but didn't quite reach it. It was more of a romanticization of Breaking Bad.

It's still good to watch.

36 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

That was unintentional. 😄

I've just watched the Brotherhood of the Ring, and I don't know how can people not like it. It is such a beautiful, epic, heartfelt story.