Lyubov

Is anyone here actually doing well financially with your life purpose?

18 posts in this topic

I’m looking for higher perspective beliefs and whatnot to attract both money while doing my life purpose and passions (video making, coaching, spiritual teaching, culture and learning languages). 

what was the turning point for you all here who are doing something that earns you good money but is also your passion. 

Not one or the other since I know there are many in demand skills that earn a lot of money but are not remotely my passion. 

How did you all achieve having your dream vocation come to be and aligned with money? 

I am doing okay. But my LP is a pretty standard job. The difficulty is in maximizing income and pushing the artistry as far as I can take it.

Most clients in my field have pretty low standards and have an undeveloped creative eye. Leading to sub-par work and client ass-kissing becoming the norm. So that's what I'm trying to fix.

Edited by Staples

God and I worked things out

The reality is that if you want to become financially successful, you'll have to set aside your ideals for a while and be ruthlessly pragmatic. There's no way around learning the fundamentals of business - like sales, marketing, basic economics, etc. - if you want to get your venture off the ground.

Once you've reached a certain threshold of basic business aptitude - meaning you're earning enough to survive by providing some kind of service or product to customers - you can start developing your business in accordance with your higher values and "purpose." This will be a slow and steady process, though. If you try to get too fancy too fast, you'll just undermine your ability to profit from whatever you're doing.

In my case, this involved dropping out of college to work in a call center and grinding away 60-hour weeks to develop myself into a highly skilled salesman. Now, I comfortably make five figures a month and can work from my phone anywhere in the world, which opens up a lot of possibilities for "individuation" again.

I'm basically trying to express Whitehead's idea that “[one] advances by extending the number of important operations which [one] can perform without thinking of them.” In other words, you advance in business by mastering all the fundamentals at each "level," working yourself up toward something that is increasingly aligned with your highest values - or becoming more "individuated," so to speak.

Really, this is just basic evolutionary dynamics, which you probably intuitively understand. But when it comes to one's own life, things are naturally very murky and obscured by all sorts of emotional and psychological turmoil.

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi I follow you for all the financial Gyan. You're an inspiration, brother.

Yeah, I'm a cool person.

7 hours ago, Nilsi said:

The reality is that if you want to become financially successful, you'll have to set aside your ideals for a while and be ruthlessly pragmatic. There's no way around learning the fundamentals of business - like sales, marketing, basic economics, etc. - if you want to get your venture off the ground.

Once you've reached a certain threshold of basic business aptitude - meaning you're earning enough to survive by providing some kind of service or product to customers - you can start developing your business in accordance with your higher values and "purpose." This will be a slow and steady process, though. If you try to get too fancy too fast, you'll just undermine your ability to profit from whatever you're doing.

In my case, this involved dropping out of college to work in a call center and grinding away 60-hour weeks to develop myself into a highly skilled salesman. Now, I comfortably make five figures a month and can work from my phone anywhere in the world, which opens up a lot of possibilities for "individuation" again.

I'm basically trying to express Whitehead's idea that “[one] advances by extending the number of important operations which [one] can perform without thinking of them.” In other words, you advance in business by mastering all the fundamentals at each "level," working yourself up toward something that is increasingly aligned with your highest values - or becoming more "individuated," so to speak.

Really, this is just basic evolutionary dynamics, which you probably intuitively understand. But when it comes to one's own life, things are naturally very murky and obscured by all sorts of emotional and psychological turmoil.

I’m curious, what do you think does it take to become a highly skilled salesman? What are the necessary skills for that? 

8 hours ago, Nilsi said:

This is very true. 

You can't be sitting on the couch going "all is love" and expect to build a big income, it requires building an identity which creates new dualities. 

1 hour ago, integration journey said:

I’m curious, what do you think does it take to become a highly skilled salesman? What are the necessary skills for that? 

I'll make a separate thread to answer this in the near future; there's so much to say on that.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

4 minutes ago, Nilsi said:

I'll make a separate thread to answer this in the near future; there's so much to say on that.

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Thanks dude, this is really helpful

my question is though do you believe we can still be spiritual while grinding? I think if we are staying honest and true we are growing spiritually and expanding our consciousness. I agree that the more nitty gritty of my ideals or the more careless artistic passions of mine may have to be less prioritized of the pragmatic however I’m trying to find a balance. Don’t want a situation in my life where my dreams went wayside to die while I lost sight of my destination. I will crate my dream life and manifest my passions, I think I need to expand though and definitely bring in pragmatism to balance everything though. 

I'm an artist but I'm worried that making my art my career will kind of kill the passion while paying less than a more practical job could.

in the book Mastery, the author proposes a type of career where your day job is something that makes money (still aligning with your strengths and values) and then you making your art how you relax, with the aim of selling it somehow down the line.

It feels a little more secure but there are obvious drawbacks here too I think.

Edited by Basman

3 hours ago, Basman said:

I'm an artist but I'm worried that making my art my career will kind of kill the passion while paying less than a more practical job could.

in the book Mastery, the author proposes a type of career where your day job is something that makes money (still aligning with your strengths and values) and then you making your art how you relax, with the aim of selling it somehow down the line.

It feels a little more secure but there are obvious drawbacks here too I think.

There are

I think it’s worth experimenting some. There is no one right path. I believe we have to find a balance with our current situations and also our beliefs. I wanted to believe for so long I could just make my videos and stay positive and accept whatever unfolds and this would mean then my channel would blow up, but no, this takes time and it takes really being flexible to take on new skills and expand on ideas. I’m by no means saying don’t follow your passion. My passion is to become a travel vlogger and have my own community and audience big enough to support me financially. I’m just saying be flexible with what it takes to get there. I’m going to focus on investing and starting an airbnb which most conservatively will save me on rent and at best earn me several thousand a month. So I think we have to be open and adaptable! We will get there don’t worry. We just have to really grow in the process sometimes in more ways than we thought. 

8 hours ago, Lyubov said:

There are

I think it’s worth experimenting some. There is no one right path. I believe we have to find a balance with our current situations and also our beliefs. I wanted to believe for so long I could just make my videos and stay positive and accept whatever unfolds and this would mean then my channel would blow up, but no, this takes time and it takes really being flexible to take on new skills and expand on ideas. I’m by no means saying don’t follow your passion. My passion is to become a travel vlogger and have my own community and audience big enough to support me financially. I’m just saying be flexible with what it takes to get there. I’m going to focus on investing and starting an airbnb which most conservatively will save me on rent and at best earn me several thousand a month. So I think we have to be open and adaptable! We will get there don’t worry. We just have to really grow in the process sometimes in more ways than we thought. 

I can't be the only one who dreams of the day that AI has truly destroyed the job market such that UBI or whatever becomes a necessity (assuming we go down that path).

Imagine having the freedom to just exist and focus on your values and passions. Its going to sound spoiled but I think that future societies will look back on our current times and view our relative lack of subsistence rights as barbaric, like how we view colonization as barbaric.

Edited by Basman

5 hours ago, Basman said:

I can't be the only one who dreams of the day that AI has truly destroyed the job market such that UBI or whatever becomes a necessity (assuming we go down that path).

Imagine having the freedom to just exist and focus on your values and passions. Its going to sound spoiled but I think that future societies will look back on our current times and view our relative lack of subsistence rights as barbaric, like how we view colonization as barbaric.

I can see you’re an idealist like me. Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy talking about stuff like this but we have to focus on our present lives and being pragmatic and balanced. I would love for a world where everyone didn’t have to trade their body and time so much to do meaningless tasks just to survive while someone else exploits this. But reality as it is now has this aspect to it and we as spiritual people in this community can try to make the best of it and be the change we want to see. I’m trying to go about what I do as honestly as possible. Just focus on this for now cause trust me no one is coming to save us. We have everything now to get ourselves right and get our money in orders. Then when we have a solid foundation we can be a greater force for positive changes.

7 hours ago, Basman said:

I used to think like this, but now I'm working on building my business and I want to make lots of money with it. I figured it's easy to sit around and have ideals but I also want my theories to be worth something. Make two million bucks first and then philosophize. Leo calls this "holding your feet to the fire of reality". 

I think I'll come out stronger and more well rounded as someone who's artistic and idealistic at heart but learned business and finance along the way. I think it's important to keep an understanding of the meta, sort of a stage yellow approach. 

Edited by Butters

1 hour ago, Lyubov said:

I can see you’re an idealist like me. Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy talking about stuff like this but we have to focus on our present lives and being pragmatic and balanced. I would love for a world where everyone didn’t have to trade their body and time so much to do meaningless tasks just to survive while someone else exploits this. But reality as it is now has this aspect to it and we as spiritual people in this community can try to make the best of it and be the change we want to see. I’m trying to go about what I do as honestly as possible. Just focus on this for now cause trust me no one is coming to save us. We have everything now to get ourselves right and get our money in orders. Then when we have a solid foundation we can be a greater force for positive changes.

Yeah yeah, back to work.

1 hour ago, chess_king said:

All beliefs are illusionary by nature

So you believe all beliefs are illusionary by nature? :D embrace the paradox

Just now, Lyubov said:

So you believe all beliefs are illusionary by nature? :D embrace the paradox

I don't believe its the direct experience