kamill

Life purpose not compeling

5 posts in this topic

I've completed my life purpose exercises, executed my plan for a few months, and faced a lot of fears along the way. I actually made progress and got closer to my goals, but now I feel like I've lost my motivation. My vision no longer feels as compelling, even though it's still a big one.

When I used to play hockey, I was so certain that I wanted to dedicate my entire life to it. Now, as I pursue stand-up comedy, which is still a passion of mine, it just doesn't feel as compelling as hockey did. Because of that, I don't feel as motivated as I should be, and I find myself slacking off.

Any thoughts or advice?

What do you think is the obstacle you're facing. 

Loss of motivation can be temporary but motivation alone isn't enough, you need to be prepared for hours of boring work that often feels demotivating. Maybe that could be what's causing this? 

It is important to revisit your "why" fairly often but also important that you don't stay on the macro level but regularly zoom in to the day to day micro of all the operational stuff

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

What happened to hockey? Where did that certainty go? 

One realization that I've had - some passions should be pursued just for fun and pleasure. As soon as you turn them into your "purpose", it puts all this pressure and expectation on you which kills the motivation eventually. But it also depends on the person heavily. Some grow by learning to loosen up and go with the flow, others - by learning to commit (which is in fact the two sides of the same coin). 

Let me ask you one more question - what do you truly want and how do you want to feel? 

On 9/17/2024 at 4:11 PM, kamill said:

I've completed my life purpose exercises, executed my plan for a few months, and faced a lot of fears along the way. I actually made progress and got closer to my goals, but now I feel like I've lost my motivation. My vision no longer feels as compelling, even though it's still a big one.

When I used to play hockey, I was so certain that I wanted to dedicate my entire life to it. Now, as I pursue stand-up comedy, which is still a passion of mine, it just doesn't feel as compelling as hockey did. Because of that, I don't feel as motivated as I should be, and I find myself slacking off.

Any thoughts or advice?

Interesting. My purpose also involves stand up!

You can focus on why you want to do stand up. 

Is it because you want to grow as a comedian. Or do you want to give laughter to the world. Or both. 

The reasons are important. What if you don't become one? You can then focus on the pain of not becoming one and the benefits of becoming one.