Asia P

Does go to university makes sense?

62 posts in this topic

@Extreme Z7 I agree the only thing universities have done is lock jobs behind paywall. And then creating tutorials and selling them for a certificate. They are too lazy to scan everyone for their quality so they assume having a certificate means you know anything intelligently about the certificate you have.

Edited by Hojo

@Jacob Morres

7 minutes ago, Jacob Morres said:

@Asia P

you might like this video on the college/no college debate. It's very nuanced

https://youtu.be/nxL4ZfVqKLI?si=6XfVJ81ybH22rM6p

Hormozi is pushing his agenda on young dudes for profit. I definitely don't trust him with this by default. 

He has an inventive to get guys to not go to university, and instead buy his courses and products to make a living.

He obviously wants you to sign up for his platform SKOOL. He wears on his sleeve that all he cares about is sales.

Anyone selling a course on how to make a living is a biased actor contributing to the University debate.

God and I worked things out

@Staples I'd probably agree with you if I didn't watch the video. Assuming bias when they're selling something is super good to be aware of 

But the video was really nuanced and insightful. Probably *some* bias, but I actually haven't seen a better take than his yet because he explains the pros and cons of both sides 

@Jacob Morres I've watched a bit, it's better than I expected.

I just get the ick when people outsource their critical thinking to the profiteering internet gurus who have an incentive to distort information.

@Asia P I suggest you find out what you want to do, and then go ask someone who did it how to get there. Want to be a lawyer? Ask a lawyer you respect which law school to go to and why. Then decide for yourself.

Overall if you have the means university is probably a good decision, if you can handle the financial pressure.

Edited by Staples

God and I worked things out

38 minutes ago, Hojo said:

the only thing universities have done is lock jobs behind paywall.

This is wrong.

The best jobs are locked behind a skill-wall, not a paywall. It takes years of basic training to be able to do certain jobs. That's what university is for.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Hojo No one owes you a damn thing.

You should die alone and hungry in the streets for being lazy, foolish, and spoiled.

Just now, Hojo said:

@Leo Gura I can guarantee I have done more physical labour than you

Maybe so, but then why such entitlement?

@Leo Gura I try to model my should on ideal societies, so I think it should be paid and it shouldn't be pushed on people either. I was pushed into going to school because I was a drone and just did what people told me, I was scammed by the system that is supposed to be guiding me. I wasn't ready for school I needed serious mental guidance and help. But society told me that I needed to go to succeed the government and school both benefit from this garbage. If you are going to brainwash people into believing they have to go to become something then it should be free or paid. Paid is better for everyone.

No one asked me if I was ready they just tell me to go and do something, bro im mentally unstable I dont know anything. If i knew it was going to be tutorials I wouldnt have went.

Edited by Hojo

11 minutes ago, Hojo said:

If i knew it was going to be tutorials I wouldnt have went.

I don't know how you can compare university education to tutorials.

As far as deciding whether to go to university or not, that is your responsibility. No one can tell you how to live your life.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't know how you can compare university education to tutorials.

As far as deciding whether to go to university or not, that is your responsibility. No one can tell you how to live your life.

Thank you for everything you do here Leo. From the bottom of my heart. I'm so glad. You help so much. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@Hojo No one owes you a damn thing.

You should die alone and hungry in the streets for being lazy, foolish, and spoiled.

That's what I felt when I lost my things. Dying on the streets covered with dust feeling hungry. Don't wanna ever wake up. Covered with dust. People can walk over me. I'm done.  

I like to be low, and see, people walking.  

@Asia P Of course it's necessary. But

You have to choose the right university for it to be good. 

@Hojo I do think that a university would grow you. It wasn't just your course it's many other things. But idk. 

1 hour ago, Staples said:

I've watched a bit, it's better than I expected.

I just get the ick when people outsource their critical thinking to the profiteering internet gurus who have an incentive to distort information.

Yeah that's fair I'd def keep that suspicion when people sell things. But don't let it color your view completely. A lot of people that sell things still have a lot of gold to share.

A lot of hormozis content is def S/A tier 

@Asia P Its very hard to say without you answering some questions.

Are you more than 20 years old?

Does the particular case again and again actually inform you of the nature of whole world as well as your own hidden intensions without the slightest doubt to the contrary? Do you thereby connect at all times the appearance of someone with a likely cause for why it is needed and find that this judgement is largely accurate?

Do you actually favour truth over happiness even when the former undermines the latter?

Are quiet moments alone with your thoughts actually the most valuable moments in your life by a wide magnitude?

If the answer to all these are "yes" then you get into the territory at which university and people in general can be even more harmful to your development than not going to university would be to those who would answer "no" to these questions.

However, expect immense tradeoffs either way that you wont even be close to imagine beforehand and probably not even afterwards.

Independent thinking has the potential to be weirdly superior to the alternative when by the strike of chance it is somehow allowed for, all things that are understood must stand entirely on its own feet as blank point distinct from all others and that distinct point must be a direct path to its own explanation, extension and implication. The desire to achieve something is at every moment antagonistic to the tendency of the mind to think without roundabout paths, for the same reason that all composite identities are necessarily teleological.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's necessary and good for STEM fields.

Eh the mathematics education at university was lack luster.  It was mostly brute memorization of theorems and proofs with little emphasis on conceptual understanding or intuition for the math being taught.  It became more about computation than knowledge.

For example, I received a better understanding of linear algebra from 3Blue1Brown’s youtube series on the subject than I did from 2 quarters of uni.  I learned more in uni for sure, but I was able to understand the core concepts of linear algebra much better from 3B1B’s free youtube series, which really shouldn’t be the case given how much time and money university classes cost in the US.

As another example, I took multiple classes in group theory without understanding that group theory is the mathematical study of symmetry.  Group theory felt like this very abstract, rudimentary version of algebra with no solid basis in reality.  Had it been explained to me that everything in the class was related to the intuitive idea of symmetry, I would have been more motivated to learn the subject and the concepts would have made more sense since they would be grounded in something I understood rather than it feeling like I’m using logic and algebra to manipulate symbols to acquire some desired, yet ultimately meaningless, result. 

The modern education system just feels outdated.  Before the internet, smartphones, and AI/LLM, it made sense to memorize an enormous amount of facts related to your field of specialization.  But in this day and age where anyone can look up anything from anywhere at anytime, memorizing specific facts seems less important.  Instead, education should put more emphasis on concepts and intuition as these things are easier to remember and do more to change how one thinks about the world.

If your goal is to get a good job which requires a math education, then by all means, go to uni.  However, if you want to learn math for math’s sake, there are cheaper, faster, and better resources online and great text books as well.  Just my opinion, of course. 

Edited by Null Simplex

It depends on the country.

I went to a university where they teach subjects that aren't useful and also don't prepare for jobs. They are filled with professors that are there to defend their carriers and get angry if you didn't get their stupid and poorly explained subjects. They didn't teach their subject well and just expected us to somehow get it. All of them gaslight you that getting a job is not that important than continuing "education". And the job market is so bad. But I got lucky in getting a job.

Education is such a shit show in my country and ideological as hell.

Edited by Nemra

@Leo Gura  I would say that art is the only field that absolutely don't need university.

I've been to college and thank God they paid me for going there. What a waste of time.

And for having seen class from Harvard online and full varveake meaning crisis twice.

I can assert that University is mainly dumb knowledge. You just don't know how to properly look for good informations if you really still believe in University. 

The only reason to go to university is not for education but for social validation.

Our society work on it. 

You gotta pass grade to show you're a manipulable cogs that can follow orders.

That's where all his value is at 90%.

Podcast and books are enough.

In fact you might just get formated to be like everyone else.

Learning from 'teacher' will turn you into one.

Only listen and watch masters to become one. 

Teacher are teachers usually cause they failed at mastery.

Sure some are masters and gives classes. But rarely in an average University. 

nowhere in the bio  @VahnAeris 

26 minutes ago, AerisVahnEphelia said:

Podcast and books are enough.

Not if you are learning anything serious.