Rishabh R

Is ACT therapy / acceptance practices of shadow work more powerful than letting go ?

15 posts in this topic

I am on antidepressants for 5 years (medication was Praxet 25 mg and Arpiprazole)and recently I am not on them. The Praxet became over on Saturday and now is Wednesday. I am also giving exam. My father has sent that Praxet and will come soon to my hostel. That being said , I am eating Arpiprazole regularly and still am on it . I was feeling extremely angry when my exam didn't went well but when I accepted my anger I felt normal  . I am doing this approach as part of ACT therapy / Shadow work by researching them on my own. Additional info : I contacted my psychiatrist few days ago. I am feeling normal right now.

Edited by Rishabh R

They are all similar practices but it's harder to go deep on shadow work or letting go and may even produce undesirable results.

There are some things that are not really possible to let go. For example, you may have a disease in your body (say hepatitis) or you have a severe back pain or something. You try to let it go? Does it disappear? 

Probably you can let go of some emotions but not the pain. Your thoughts might even be reinforced if you keep thinking about the diseases and pain.

You probably should practice some forms of accepting (which is also like letting go).

Edited by hyruga

How is acceptance different from letting go?

Oh I see

Maybe acceptance is let it be

And letting go is let it not be

Somehow that makes sense to me now

Then again maybe there is not that much of a difference at all between them is there?

I don't know

Edited by Atb210201

Rationality is Stupidity, Love is Rationality

Depends on the person, on how your mind interpret both and the timing you use the method, The best thing for you is to try :)

Watch out for withdrawal symptoms. 50% or even more of people who stop medications abruptly or even by doctor's methods will have severe withdrawal. You have to taper them graduately in an hyperbolic method of between 2% to 10% percent a month. For more details here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/forums/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Doctors have almost no clue on the real withdrawal problem.

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

@Nivsch Doctors even don't have clue to how to cure mental illnesses but psychologists , personal development people , philosophers have the clue but ultimately the clue lies in our hands. Today I am feeling much better even tough the medicine has not arrived.

7 hours ago, Rishabh R said:

@Nivsch Doctors even don't have clue to how to cure mental illnesses but psychologists , personal development people , philosophers have the clue but ultimately the clue lies in our hands. Today I am feeling much better even tough the medicine has not arrived.

I would not recommend abrupt quitting but if you choose this then track your feeling carefully every day you can even measure them from 1 to 10 and be aware of trends. Yes you are right doctors don't know how to approach mental conditions in a constructive way.

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

@Nivsch My medicine went out which was of heavier dose and it isn't available in the city in which I am studying , yes I faced certain withdrawal symptoms but I managed them via self help and now I am fine without that heavy dose of SSRI medicine even tough I am on other minor medications.

"Letting go" is never more than a temporary fix. It's definitely better than relying on substances to numb the pain, though. Addiction is a bitch and will only speed up the downward spiral you're likely on.

There's no avoiding the reality of being yourself, and you have to work on getting your life together if you want it to be worth living.

"Shadow work" is just one of many solid approaches that can help with that.

Most importantly, you need to find something in life that gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Something you can fully commit to and lose yourself in. If you're lucky, you might even feel a genuine zest for life every now and then through this pursuit.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi ok that's life purpose but I would say that shadow work help me cure my sadness and even anger due to past hurtful things.

10 minutes ago, Rishabh R said:

@Nilsi ok that's life purpose but I would say that shadow work help me cure my sadness and even anger due to past hurtful things.

"Curing" your sadness and suffering is impossible, and trying to do so causes more harm than good.

The best you can hope for is to find something in life that justifies your suffering. 

Shadow work alone won't change the meaninglessness of your suffering.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

@Nilsi I was sad for a few days but as soon I accepted my sadness via shadow work it dissipated. Even tough there will be moments of suffering and sadness in the future but it can be reduced as some suffering is inevitable.

On 9/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, Atb210201 said:

How is acceptance different from letting go?

Oh I see

Maybe acceptance is let it be

And letting go is let it not be

Somehow that makes sense to me now

Then again maybe there is not that much of a difference at all between them is there?

I don't know

yeah I think they're the same. in the letting go process, the first step is acceptance (in the sedona method version at least)