Ryan M

How to teach on video

11 posts in this topic

How do people, like Leo, make such long videos teaching something where they bring up every possible point that’s important? Are all the main ideas written down and you glance at them from time to time while you’re talking? It seems like you would be talking about one thing and then instantly have to figure out how to segue into the main points that you want to bring up. Does this just take a lot of practice or is there more strategy to this?

Some video editing apps have a function called teleprompter, this is where you will have previously prepared text and as you are recording , the text slowly rolls down the screen , it looks like you are looking at the camera when in reality you are readying your script. Camera will only record you talking , script won’t be shown on recorded video it would be only visible to you while you record in real time. CapCut is one of those apps for example. 

I spent something like 30 hours making the outline for the PM video, just to have the structure of the points in the right linear order.

You would never be able to make a video like mine just off the top of your head. Your mind would skip too many points. If you don't take the time to organize your ideas they will come out in a jumbled hairy mess.

If you have a solid outline, speaking is easy. Making the outline is the hardest part.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you're asking because you want to do something similar, start speaking of the cuff about anything, it's way more fun.

Then you can try riffing on a specific topic. You don't  have to nail anything because you can come back to the idea the next day.

Owens older videos were just that, him riffing on ideas over and over until eventually he just nails it in one of the videos ( source: rsd assistant)

More structured speech is important as well,  but it depends on the nature of what you're covering 

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter                   Restful Cube        

51 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I spent something like 30 hours making the outline for the PM video, just to have the structure of the points in the right linear order.

You would never be able to make a video like mine just off the top of your head. Your mind would skip too many points. If you don't take the time to organize your ideas they will come out in a jumbled hairy mess.

If you have a solid outline, speaking is easy. Making the outline is the hardest part.

Impressive.

how detailed are your outlines?

basic points, examples, rebuttals? or is it scripted word for word..

what’s the balance between structure and ‘lettin’ her rip?’

Waking Call The Inspiration, Music and Perspective for an Authentic Life.

40 minutes ago, Realms of Wonder said:

how detailed are your outlines?

Quite detailed.

But nowhere near a word for word script.

I like to have room to riff.

Riffing is way more fun but at the cost of rambling, repititon, and bad ideas.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura I think your post Modernism video is one of your best. No so much rambling and convincing as usual which I found was a weakness of the myth of science videos. Thanks again. Excited for the rest of the series.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

57 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

@Leo Gura I think your post Modernism video is one of your best. No so much rambling and convincing as usual which I found was a weakness of the myth of science videos. Thanks again. Excited for the rest of the series.

I am being more ruthless with myself in trimming the fat, the fluff, and the grandstanding.

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I like to have room to riff.

Riffing is way more fun but at the cost of rambling, repetition, and bad ideas.

Riffing also allows for insights as you speak. It's sometimes also more entertaining, I like when you explain stories.

Storytelling makes your videos more compelling.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If it weren't for all this PM talk I wouldn't even have realized you put out a video. I just checked your channel and realized one was out and it says 2 days ago. I never (or don't believe I did) got any notification and I do have it set for "all". At 3hrs long I have to settle in for that.

Know thyself....

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I am being more ruthless with myself in trimming the fat, the fluff, and the grandstanding.

It’s appreciated 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"