Donald Trump Interview | Lex Fridman Podcast #442

158 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, PurpleTree said:

i don’t understand these politicians honestly 

tulsi is first pro bernie then dumps him endorses biden now trump

rfk is an environmentalist and then turns to trump

bernie is a rebel then turns on himself and drops out

anywho they don’t have free will anyway 😇

It's all just theater.  Have you not gotten that yet? 

The guys in the back room will be the ones actually making the decisions and pulling the strings. Guys like you.   With actual brains.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

13 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

It's all just theater.  Have you not gotten that yet? 

The guys in the back room will be the ones actually making the decisions and pulling the strings.

yea i think so too. But even the guy in the back room has no free will probably.

i just find it wild that they don’t make the “theater” more coherent and believable. Although i guess people are confused anyway and the waters are muddied alright

10 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

yea i think so too. But even the guy in the back room has no free will probably.

i just find it wild that they don’t make the “theater” more coherent and believable. Although i guess people are confused anyway and the waters are muddied alright

Indeed.  It's quite odd actually  I'm a very logical dude.  I want things to run as they seem.  Exactly as they seem.  Yet they do not do that.  So now it's for us to dig and figure out why. It shouldn't have to be like that in a perfect world.  But a perfect world would mean everyone could be taken at face value.  But then deception creeps in and makes this impossibile.  The possibility of deception cannot be excluded unfortunately.  So here we are.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

3 hours ago, PurpleTree said:
  1. i don’t understand these politicians honestly 
  2. tulsi is first pro bernie then dumps him endorses biden now trump
  3. rfk is an environmentalist and then turns to trump
  4. bernie is a rebel then turns on himself and drops out
  5. anywho they don’t have free will anyway 😇
  1. Strategy
  2. Opportunism: Bernie-Alignment, Biden-Unity/Inevitability, Trump-Strategic/Influence
  3. Alignment: Recent Vaccine/Gouverning Policies made Anti-Estab. switcheroo practical
  4. He's too nice to a fault, aiding the Party against Trump, instead of taking it over
  5. Free Will Arguments are relative and irrelevant, just my ranting tho
Edited by Keryo Koffa

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

Probably 10 or more humblebrags packed into this 5 min clip. He tells you he cares about everyone, he cares about truth, is motivated by peace and love and dedicated to it, he’s a genius who could be working on AI projects, he’s a black belt ass kicker, but instead of doing those things, he prefers to bring people together. He says it all with sleepy, dreamy eyes, in a slow, soft voice. Not suspicious at all! 

Edited by Joshe

@Joshe 

You are literally projecting your own paranoia and agenda onto a white canvas.

It's like you have learned nothing from me about self-deception.

It's astonishing that people get upset at Lex over this.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

@Joshe 

You are literally projecting your own paranoia and agenda onto a white canvas.

It's like you have learned nothing from me about self-deception.

It's astonishing that people get upset at Lex over this.

Leo, listen. I don’t have an agenda and I’m not upset at Lex. I would be no less suspicious of him if he were a leftist and refused to interview Trump. I can guarantee you this. I don’t know why you assume I have an agenda or dislike him. I’m at maybe 65/35 that he’s a bullshitter, and that can change. I haven’t placed him in any definitive bucket yet. This estimation did not include any political bias. It’s simply an estimation of do I think he’s an honest, good faith actor who isn’t thoroughly self deceived. I think it’s more likely he is not.

What I’m trying to reconcile is why you, a trusted authority, would overlook something that sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m open to the possibility my sense-making is clouded by paranoia or cynicism or something else. But I don’t know how you watch that clip I just posted and are not just a little suspicious. When I see someone charismatically humblebragging nearly every time they get on a mic, I take notice. 

I’ve been observing lex for a few years now and have not made a definitive call. That should tell you something. I’m not making hasty judgements here. 

Also, even if he’s a bullshitter, that doesn’t mean I hate him. It just means I answered the question, is he integrous.  

Edited by Joshe

@Joshe Dude, if you can't see Lex's sincerity, your brain is broke.

2 hours ago, Joshe said:

Leo, listen. I don’t have an agenda and I’m not upset at Lex. I would be no less suspicious of him if he were a leftist and refused to interview Trump. I can guarantee you this. I don’t know why you assume I have an agenda or dislike him. I’m at maybe 65/35 that he’s a bullshitter, and that can change. I haven’t placed him in any definitive bucket yet. This estimation did not include any political bias. It’s simply an estimation of do I think he’s an honest, good faith actor who isn’t thoroughly self deceived. I think it’s more likely he is not.

What I’m trying to reconcile is why you, a trusted authority, would overlook something that sticks out like a sore thumb. I’m open to the possibility my sense-making is clouded by paranoia or cynicism or something else. But I don’t know how you watch that clip I just posted and are not just a little suspicious. When I see someone charismatically humblebragging nearly every time they get on a mic, I take notice. 

I’ve been observing lex for a few years now and have not made a definitive call. That should tell you something. I’m not making hasty judgements here. 

Also, even if he’s a bullshitter, that doesn’t mean I hate him. It just means I answered the question, is he integrous.  

Why do you think in your mind he is not integrous. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

7 hours ago, Buck Edwards said:

Why do you think in your mind he is not integrous. 

I don’t think he is not integrous. I have suspicions he is not. It’s an open question. I haven’t yet relegated him to the non-integrous bin with Alex Jones and Elon Musk.

He’s the first of his kind that I’ve seen, so I’m not yet sure what to make of him. For one, his communication style is reminiscent of the charm I used to employ in my mid 20s to get laid. It was very sneaky. Drop the eyes, speak soft and slow. When you mix that with super thoughtful engagement, you can seduce nearly anyone. I would go to a local bar and employ this and nearly every night I would enter into deep, hours long conversations with strangers and I became very popular and everyone loved to speak with me. I was genuinely and sincerely interested in connecting with them but I was consciously bullshitting them to some degree as well. I would call this behavior non-integrous. I’ve since grown out of it. 

Aside from that, he humblebrags all the time and is besties with Rogan and Musk. These are the reasons I can’t say with high confidence he’s integrous. 

Edited by Joshe

2 minutes ago, Joshe said:

I don’t think he is not integrous. I have suspicions he is not. It’s an open question. I haven’t yet relegated him to the non-integrous bin with Alex Jones and Elon Musk.

He’s the first of his kind that I’ve seen, so I’m not yet sure what to make of him. For one, his communication style is reminiscent of the charm I used to employ in my mid 20s to get laid. It was very sneaky. Drop the eyes, speak soft and slow. When you mix that with super thoughtful engagement, you can seduce nearly anyone. I would go to a local bar and employ this and nearly every night I would enter into deep, hour long conversations with strangers and I became very popular and everyone loved to speak with me. I was genuinely and sincerely interested in connecting with them but I was bullshitting them to some degree as well. I would call this behavior non-integrous. I’ve since grown out of it. 

Aside from that, he humblebrags all the time and is besties with Rogan and Musk. These are the reasons I can’t say with high confidence he’s integrous. 

Yea that makes sense. Especially the Rogan part. You have a good understanding of people based off your experience. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

5 hours ago, Consept said:

he's definitely got biases that are quite obvious.

As far as internet personas go, Lex does a good job containing his biases and being neutral. Which is why he is attacked by online trolls, who want him to exhibit their biases.

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

As far as internet personas go, Lex does a good job containing his biases and being neutral. Which is why he is attacked by online trolls, who want him to exhibit their biases.

You're conflating biased political attacks with legitimate criticisms that you seemingly cannot dismantle. 

I bet if I were to collect all his tweets, the subtext of 80% of them would be: 

• I'm kind and patient
  • I'm caring and loving
  • I'm a genius but I'm intellectually humble

In essence, "I am the embodiment of virtue". 

I suspect there's some covert narcissism going on. Again, just a suspicion, but it's one you cannot refute. Your brain is broke if you never noticed this.

At least I'm not the only one who noticed:

BTW, look at his eyes in this picture. This is an intentionally modified gaze, which I can do on command. Why would I do such a thing? To charm people. I can spot this shit because I used to do it.

"What it's all about with Lex is hanging out with high profile people and issuing shmaltzy bullshit about what a humble intellectual titan he is and people lap it up"

Have you acknowledged what is being said here but decided it's insignificant and thus not worth holding in high regard in your overall estimation? If so, I get that, but if you haven't even dealt with this, you have a massive blindspot. 

Edited by Joshe

3 hours ago, Joshe said:

I bet if I were to collect all his tweets, the subtext of 80% of them would be: 

• I'm kind and patient
  • I'm caring and loving
  • I'm a genius but I'm intellectually humble

In essence, "I am the embodiment of virtue". 

Yeah, those are his ideals which he's working towards and which guide his work.

You are criticizing a man for trying to be good.

I am not claiming Lex is some height of human virtue, merely that those are his ideals and you can him earnestly working towards them.

Don't be blinded by cynicism.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah, those are his ideals which he's working towards and which guide his work.

You are criticizing a man for trying to be good.

I am not claiming Lex is some height of human virtue, merely that those are his ideals and you can him earnestly working towards them.

Don't be blinded by cynicism.

😂 It isn't bad that Christian televangelists hold virtue and goodness in high regard and preach those things. It's that they're using them to trick people into serving their unconscious, egoic desires. I know they believe their motivations are pure and that does matter, but it has no bearing on my conclusion that what they're engaged in should be regarded as unconscious devilry. 

Lex probably believes his intentions are pure, but I don't. I don't believe or disbelieve it but I lean towards not. 

Maybe I'm just a cynical bastard, but I'm pretty good at reading people, which might be why I'm cynical. 😂

His overt humblebrags and his obsession with befriending elites is just not in alignment with virtue. His positions are boxed in by what his social circle will allow. For example, he bashes Fauci and praises RFK.

Could this be a genuine display of intellectual discernment, or might it be a calculated move to serve his egoic desire of fitting in with elites like Joe Rogan? 🤔

Edited by Joshe

2 minutes ago, Joshe said:

It isn't bad that Christian televangelists hold virtue and goodness in high regard and preach those things. It's that they're using them to trick people into serving their unconscious, egoic desires

You are comparing Lex to a televangelist, which is absurd.

Lex isn't preaching anything to you. He is just telling what his working values and principles are.

9 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Lex isn't preaching anything to you. He is just telling what his working values and principles are.

Yeah, I know. He tells us in every tweet. He virtue signals MORE than a fucking Christian televangelist. 

And I wasn't comparing them. You said I was attacking him for being good, but that is not true. I like his ideals. Just like I like the Christian ideals. I just doubt he's driven by them to the extent you think he is. 

Edited by Joshe

16 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He just like everyone else - thinks that his standards are better compared to others and that others should apply and use his standards.

On 2024. 09. 08. at 9:06 PM, Leo Gura said:

I don't know why you imply that neutrality is better in principle compared to non-neutrality.

Calling others who are transparent about their biases as "internet trolls" is interesting framing , especially given that Lex is not forthcoming about his baises and he is trying to paint himself to be more correct than others since he can pretend he doesn't have the same blindspots as others.

Also the negative load from the word 'bias' won't really work there, depending on how deep we want go down regarding values and principles. In fact, not being biased towards certain fundamental epistemic norms and moral values carries much more negative load than actually adhereing to and being biased towards those things.