Yali

Donald Trump Interview | Lex Fridman Podcast #442

158 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Joshe said:

It is indeed in a good place. Even to pay lip service to peace and love is better than not. He's probably a net positive for the world and he may even turn out to be a HUGE net positive. But this has nothing to do with assessing the known variables. I'm not calling him evil or bad. 

Like, rain isn't bad. Can I call rain, rain, without being told I'm pessimistic?

No I get you.  Everyone here can only react by what they have seen of the person.  Leo's quote 

"Lex's worldview is that having these soft neutral civil conversations will help mankind come together, build bridges, and understand each other. That seems to be his life purpose. It's a nobel purpose, regardless of whether it will pan out or not. The only valid criticism I see here is that you can call him naive or overly idealistic.

It's sad though to see Lex get shit on online by partisans when he talks about love"

I guess I would ask Leo:

@Leo Gura are you intuiting this worldview or has he actually stated this?  If so can you post where he expressed a worldview?

And can you quote where he talks about Love?  Is this in a spiritual context? 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Joshe the direct questions i posed will most likely go unanswered.  Often one who dictates when pressed for actual facts to back their claims will quickly shy away.  Oh wow.  A name like Trump eerily comes to mind :)

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

16 minutes ago, Joshe said:

Do you know what it's like to be born intellectually independent, thus, minimizing bias?

For someone claiming such things you sure jump to conclusions about Lex.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If Lex had a leftist agenda he would not give Trump a platform.

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

18 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

are you intuiting this worldview or has he actually stated this?  If so can you post where he expressed a worldview?

He has expressed such ideas throughout his videos and on Twitter.

I cannot compile all those statements for you. They are scattered across his work if you follow his content.

18 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

And can you quote where he talks about Love?  Is this in a spiritual context? 

Lex talks about love all the time in all his work. He is not talking about spiritual love, but a more limited understanding of love.

This whole topic is sick. I expect better of you guys.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He has expressed such ideas throughout his videos and on Twitter.

I cannot compile all those statements for you. They are scattered across his work if you follow his content.

Lex talks about love all the time in all his work. He is not talking about spiritual love, but a more limited understanding of love.

I think all that @Joshi was saying is that without concrete facts, you stating that his ideas are expressed throughout the videos could easily be your own projection.   And that you can't state he is coming from a state of peace and love.    But I say that you can based on your own perception.   This of course is your own ideas based on what you have taken in on the topic.   Nothing was said explicitly by Lex one way or another.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

6 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

could easily be your own projection. 

Look in the mirror.

I think I should stop giving my opinion. I don’t know how to think deeper about the subject to have a more refined opinion and am relying on feedback to improve.

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

17 hours ago, gettoefl said:

There is a thin line between open-minded and naïve

Open-minded refuses to let another walk over you

since doing so indicates you closed your mind to alternatives

Churchill liked to say, speak softly but carry a big stick

That’s not quite how I see it.

Lex is just openminded. Openmindedness comes with tradeoffs, the main one being that you might open your mind to something you shouldn’t. Which is exactly why people are close-minded.

What you are really saying is “Lex should be more close-minded”. 

Edited by aurum

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

For someone claiming such things you sure jump to conclusions about Lex.

I haven't jumped, I've only hypothesized. 

It might be accurate to characterize Lex as "wanting peace and love for humanity", but his words and mannerisms are not sufficient evidence for me to do that.

At worst, he's still a good guy (probably). It's just that I think it's possibly/probably erroneous/overly simplistic to characterize him as someone who wants "peace and love for the world", just as it would be to characterize a Christian televangelists as someone who wants peace and love for the world. 

If there's something more fundamental that is driving them, it is a bastardization of peace and love, is it not?

If I asked you to tell me, fundamentally, what is a Christian televangelists, and you delivered to me: 

"Decent people who are a bit naive but their intentions are good and they're likely a net-positive." 

and omitted the elephant in the room that is their self-deception, that would draw my ire. Of course your statement might be true, but it omits important details. Maybe you have details that I don't. 

I'm taking my ball and going home. 

Edited by Joshe

I think it’s fair criticism to point out that lex platforms a chronic and blatant liar like Donald Trump. People vote for this guy though so obviously most people are fine with having a liar as a president. We are too idealist to think we would have anyone else as a leader though. Many of his other guests I don’t think have a lack of integrity, some may though. I think we are largely far more willing to accept blatant lies from a leader than we once were. We don’t remember pre 2016 when there was more honest and civil discourse in our USA politics. Then again things change and this disruption is a sign of evolution. I personally don’t like either candidate or American politics in general. We need honesty in our leaders, period. There’s a lot of unspoken games I assume one has to play when in politics. It’s bullshit but I hope we can evolve beyond this in the coming decades. 

Edited by Lyubov

20 hours ago, Consept said:

Ive seen some of his podcasts where hes really pushed people to explain their positions. Even with Kanye he really pushed him on the anti-semetic stuff to the point where Kanye got angry with him (although it doesnt take a lot). 

He does have the 'open minded' style but he definitely has a bias toward Trump, either because he likes him or because he was a bit starstruck with him. 

I think Lex pushed Kanye because Lex believed Kanye was conscious enough for a real discussion. Lex didn't push Trump because he knows there is no point discussing with him. Lex is probably just using Trump to promote his channel.

Game theory 101 - When you're predicting what someone is up to, you don't look at what they say. You look at what their incentives are. 

• Is tens or hundreds of millions of dollars considered an incentive? 
  • What about access to one of the most elite and exclusive social clubs on the planet? Would we call that an incentive? 

Many people would kill just for a 100th of a fraction of either one of these incentives. But not Lex. He's a cool dude! 

Intelligent analysis would NEVER ignore these variables and would ALWAYS account for them in. This is an embarrassing failure of epistemology. 

To forget about the elephant in the room, which is millions of fucking dollars, and the social status and social ladder climbing of one of the most elite and exclusive social clubs on the planet...  throw ALLL that out, and let's just take the carefully crafted public image Lex shows you, use that exactly as it is, toss out all the elephants from the room, and use the crafted image to project onto reality that which Lex wants you to project onto reality, and call those projections reality. 

If this is your approach and you fancy yourself a rational, objective, unbiased thinker, here’s a good video:

Edited by Joshe

10 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

The one trying to get in by making it obvious i'd actually like more than the one who is sneakier.  

May need to change your vote then

Pitiful that Leo can't exhibit that level of open-mindedness

3 hours ago, gettoefl said:

May need to change your vote then

Pitiful that Leo can't exhibit that level of open-mindedness

Well its not that simple.   I agree with Leo that Trump's life and wealth is all built on a house of cards.  So I don't want him in a position of power.   Let's give a woman a chance 😀

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

I see it as two sided.

1) If people cant express their opinion then these people and their followers won't be able to consciously work on their positions. When their position gets repressed they will self righteous about it and the shit will grow underground. So in that sense Lex Fridman does a great job. 

2) On the other hand it can also encourage bad behavior. If people feel accepted for everything they do then they might get the idea that they can do everything because they can get away with it. 

So I think you cant have both but the best middle ground is being totally non judgmental but also not encouraging. 

4 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Let's give a woman a chance 😀

Who tulsi gabbard?

jk tulsi is trash now

kamala is trash

maybe ana kasparian would be good

4 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Who tulsi gabbard?

jk tulsi is trash now

kamala is trash

maybe ana kasparian would be good

Smokin' 😀 but seriously...this time around a woman has a real shot.  But yeah I think ultimately she will be a puppet.  Which is sad.  I hope she will add value to her Presidency in some way with her mind.  For a change.

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

i don’t understand these politicians honestly 

tulsi is first pro bernie then dumps him endorses biden now trump

rfk is an environmentalist and then turns to trump

bernie is a rebel then turns on himself and drops out

anywho they don’t have free will anyway 😇