Spiritual Warfare

Eternal punishment

52 posts in this topic

How can one rid themselves of the concept of eternal punishment? Personally, I find it quite absurd, yet there are numerous Christians who fervently preach this idea everywhere, making it challenging to escape from my thoughts.ย 

๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ข๐ซ๐ž.
๐ˆ๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž, ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก, ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฎ๐ง๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐š๐›๐ฌ๐จ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž. ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐Ÿ๐ž๐œ๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ

It would need a god that has constructed that eternal hell, do you believe in that?

1 minute ago, Sugarcoat said:

It would need a god that has constructed that eternal hell, do you believe in that?

It's a definitive no, but who can really claim to know with absolute certainty?ย 

๐“๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ฌ๐ž๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐š๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ง๐ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐๐ž๐ฌ๐ข๐ซ๐ž.
๐ˆ๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž, ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก, ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฎ๐ง๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ, ๐ข๐ญ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐š๐›๐ฌ๐จ๐ฅ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ž. ๐ข๐ญโ€™๐ฌ ๐ฉ๐ž๐ซ๐Ÿ๐ž๐œ๐ญ ๐Ÿ๐จ๐ซ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ

Just now, MarioGabrielJ said:

It's a definitive no, but who can really claim to know with absolute certainty?ย 

We canโ€™t know with absolute certainty no, but if you strongly donโ€™t believe it, why would eternal punishment be on your mind so muchย 

We canโ€™t know with absolute certainty no, but if you strongly donโ€™t believe it, why would eternal punishment be on your mind so muchย 

Because the idea of being tortured for eternity is truly horrifying, even if I firmly believe it doesn't exist. Still, I think itโ€™s natural to feel a twinge of concern about itโ€”though perhaps thatโ€™s just me. People have different ways of coping with such thoughts and processing their beliefs.ย 

1 minute ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

Because the idea of being tortured for eternity is truly horrifying, even if I firmly believe it doesn't exist. Still, I think itโ€™s natural to feel a twinge of concern about itโ€”though perhaps thatโ€™s just me. People have different ways of coping with such thoughts and processing their beliefs.ย 

I have in my past ruminated and felt scaredย about the idea of eternal reincarnationย and that entailing I will experience everything that is possible to experience including torture. I think eternal reincarnation is more probable than eternal punishment. Itโ€™s just a tad bit less worse, because it includes all the good stuff too. If itโ€™s still concerning for you, I bet youโ€™re young so you can feel safe in there being a looong time until youโ€™re gonna die and eventually be able to experience all those things, so for now you can chill

You could debunk it using purely logic alone probably.ย 

You cannot love what you need.

2 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

I have in my past ruminated and felt scaredย about the idea of eternal reincarnationย and that entailing I will experience everything that is possible to experience including torture. I think eternal reincarnation is more probable than eternal punishment. Itโ€™s just a tad bit less worse, because it includes all the good stuff too. If itโ€™s still concerning for you, I bet youโ€™re young so you can feel safe in there being a looong time until youโ€™re gonna die and eventually be able to experience all those things, so for now you can chill

I will do my best, thank you. However, the core idea in Christianity is that once youโ€™re in that state, you can never truly dieโ€”that's the very essence of what makes it so frightening for me.

2 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

You could debunk it using purely logic alone probably.ย 

Yes, I would love to hear your reasoning behind it!

No reason at all!

Actually I didn't think this through when I wrote that :D

3 minutes ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

I will do my best, thank you. However, the core idea in Christianity is that once youโ€™re in that state, you can never truly dieโ€”that's the very essence of what makes it so frightening for me.

Once youโ€™re in the eternal punishment you canโ€™t die thatโ€™s what they say?

Yes

2 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

No, no. Once youโ€™re in eternal @Salvijus

2 minutes ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

Yes

Iโ€™ve thought about this. If infinity can appear as anything, could it appear as eternal hell. I think it would change sooner or later so no.ย 
ย 

did Jesus speak of hell? Where did that idea come from?

6 minutes ago, Sugarcoat said:

Iโ€™ve thought about this. If infinity can appear as anything, could it appear as eternal hell. I think it would change sooner or later so no.ย 
ย 

did Jesus speak of hell? Where did that idea come from?

According to Christians, Jesus spoke about Hell in several passages. For example:

"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.โ€ โ€” Revelation 21:8

"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.โ€ โ€” Matthew 25:46

These are just a few verses; there are many more, but I wonโ€™t copy them all here.

6 minutes ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

According to Christians, Jesus spoke about Hell in several passages. For example:

"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.โ€ โ€” Revelation 21:8

"And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.โ€ โ€” Matthew 25:46

These are just a few verses; there are many more, but I wonโ€™t copy them all here.

I donโ€™t know what else to say then just that I donโ€™t believe in it. Maybe you could look up videos from people who have died and came back to life and what they have said about life after deathย 

Just now, Sugarcoat said:

I donโ€™t know what else to say then just that I donโ€™t believe in it. Maybe you could look up videos from people who have died and came back to life and what they have said about life after deathย 

Yes, near-death experiences (NDEs) can be incredibly insightful.ย 

Okay here's one way to debunk this.ย 

Punishment has to be equal in proportion to the sin. Otherwise God is not just. And the Bible says God is justice.ย 

To be punished eternally you'd have to make an action worthy of eternity. But no action can ever compare with eternity.ย 

Debunked.ย 

4 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

Okay here's one way to debunk this.ย 

Punishment has to be equal in proportion to the sin. Otherwise God is not just. And the Bible says God is justice.ย 

To be punished eternally you'd have to make an action worthy of eternity. But no action can ever compare with eternity.ย 

Debunked.ย 

Thatโ€™s a pretty good argument. Also letโ€™s say eternal punishment exists for the worst sinners, you should be fine if youโ€™re not one of them , which you probably arenโ€™t a if you live a normal life so what is the concernย 

ย