Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keryo Koffa

Can someone explain Spiral Dynamics Stage Beige?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I find it to be one of the most confusing stages.

Like Purple will demonize Red for its egotism and Red Blue for being a Slave to morality.
Blue orange for hedonism, orange green for wackiness, green yellow being poker-faced.
Yellow will be sceptical of turquoise seeing it as too far removed from human endeavors.

But what and how would Beige criticize anything, what even is Beige, what is its psychological profile?
How can there be Ego, when an "Other" hasn't even been established yet to create individuality through?
It acts on Instinct, maybe there is no thought, just sensations and correlations, driving survival.
But I'm really fascinated in exploring this first stage, which kickstarts the process and how it evolved.
And how purple emerged where the line/gradient is established and how they correlate and see each other.

After all, how am I supposed to know if I'm Orange/Green/Yellow/Turquoise/Coral, if I don't even know if I surpassed Beige yet?

Edited by Keryo Koffa

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

3 minutes ago, Keryo Koffa said:

I find it to be one of the most confusing stages.

Like Purple will demonize Red for its egotism and Red Blue for being a Slave to morality.
Blue orange for hedonism, orange green for wackiness, green yellow being poker-faced.
Yellow will be sceptical of turquoise seeing it as too far removed from human endeavors.

But what and how would Beige criticize anything, what even is Beige, what is its psychological profile?
How can there be Ego, when an "Other" hasn't even been established yet to create individuality through?
It acts on Instinct, maybe there is no thought, just sensations and correlations, driving survival.
But I'm really fascinated in exploring this first stage, which kickstarts the process and how it evolved.
And how purple emerged where the line/gradient is established and how they correlate and see each other.

From your statement it seems that every stage necessarily criticizes the ones above, but I don't think that is necessary true. I imagine it happens in most of the cases, but it's not a rule... a Stage doesn't come with a criticism, but criticism arises within a Stage.

In my opinion Beige doesn't criticize the higher stages since it doesn't have the mental capacity to do so. 

But it's also true that I am not greatly informed about this stage, so I might be totally wrong. I also might be wrong about the previous statements, but what I shared is just my idea.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, manuel bon said:
  1. You suggest upward criticism but I doubt it's essential.
  2. Beige has a limited capacity for knowing or criticizing.
  3. I shall join in the search for this elusive stage's meaning.
  1. It's not, you need "others" to create a gap, which you can misinterpret and get riled up at due to
    a lack of context and mutual ill-will projections, which materialize as a demonizational attitude.
  2. Yes, it's the first stage, the origin of the psyche in this model, so I wonder how it even emerges
    It's hard to think about Beige by trying to compare its evolving behavior through latter stages
    And so, this thought experiment served as a demonstration of just that, how does Beige think?
  3. Yay!
Edited by Keryo Koffa

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

Posted (edited)

Food, sex and shelter 

that's about it 

Edited by Oppositionless

I was not aware of there being a beige stage before !

beige is the best of all, you are one with life, life is one with you. Your senses are expanded, danger lurks, beauty is wild, you know nothing, there is nothing to know, you are everything, every second shines perfect, wild, colorful, dangerous, alive, without the slightest doubt, in perfect coordination and harmony with the universe. 

After that, the mind appears and everything is a mess.