Lucasxp64

Let's teach for mastery -- not test scores | Sal Khan

8 posts in this topic

He was ahead of his time, 7 years ago he was already telling us that our education system was essentially so outdated to quasi-medieval levels, because most people are unable to master complicated concepts because the education system leaves them with too many gaps.

He was already mentioning the vision for the future that most of the people could be giving creative contribution to the world, as opposed to being essentially at beaurocracy and data processing factory work, and that AI is coming close low intelligence/low-creativity jobs to greater extent as the tech evolves.

You might like the following book - https://www.amazon.ca/Education-Time-Between-Worlds-Technology/dp/0986282677

I haven't read it, but I read an essay of the authors in another anthology and it was fantastic. 

As for AI in education, I think we need both uniform and personalized education. There are some things that everyone needs to know in order to function well as a culture, but we also can custom-tailor education based on someone's natural gifts. One issue is in how the AI might take a child down the route of easy attention rather than right attention so there are many layers to getting it to nudge without sacrificing the child's natural gifts and interests, and without being too conformist on those things that shouldn't be conformist. 

A lot can go wrong in that system, but I think it's quite an interesting possibility. Having spent my elementary school and high school in drastically subpar schools I can speak to how important it is to get kids the right education based on their ability. I know this sounds arrogant, but I was way too smart for how dumb the school was. To this day I am still making up for how much I lost in those schools.

Reforming the education system should be a HUGE topic in first world countries. So much human potential is wasted the way we go about life.

Education is one of the corner stones of society and if we want get to the next level, it is crucial to develop a modern educational system.

One of problem is that we cannot just completely reform education because it is connected to the way society is structured.
it has to be done gradually with improvements on other areas.

Edited by Sandroew

25 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

I came to the system as a child with a great passion for art, beauty, psychology, philosophy, literature, history, science, and even mathematics. I ended up leaving school hating life and existence.

I wanted to become a lawyer from high school days, then a psychologist in college, now I'm a stripper. Lmao.

Know thyself....

5 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I wanted to become a lawyer from high school days, then a psychologist in college, now I'm a stripper. Lmao.

You're contributing more to people's well-being than either of those lol. Keep the spiritual path goint! 😁

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

Let's face the education system has never really been about individual aspirations, it's about priming people to be useful in a technocratic capitalist society. There's a greater push nowadays for individual creativity and thinking for yourself because that is what society needs from us. It's whatever the current zeitgeist is. The current system of rote learning in a conveyor belt of large classes comes from the industrial mindset of Victorians and is becoming outdated, and a lot of it is about learning how to be subservient to a higher authority (your paymaster).

57% paranoid

22 minutes ago, Lila9 said:
  1. Lol, this is one of my alter egos, along with being an alien, a hag, a nymph and a gangster.
  2. 16 minutes ago, Lila9 said:

Mmm, what do I smell…? A hungry bear beneath Keryo’s asexual persona 🦋

1. My alter egos are neatly tied together into a Metamorphic Fairy
  2. Have you missed Leo's video on inflection points?
    0 inflects into ∞. Asexual inflects into Omnisexual 😁

2 hours ago, Lila9 said:

🧿🪬

🧚