questionreality

Pavel Durov arrested in France

53 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Nemra said:

I disagree. It's not enough.

Have you explored Telegram?

I have explored - you cannot expect to have everything removed instantly at the tip of the finger. 

18 minutes ago, Nemra said:

I think that's more important for people in countries like Russia.

No, it's important for every person who values privacy, freedom of speech and doesn't take it for granted .

I don't think you understand the seriousness of this.

26 minutes ago, What Am I said:

Wow, even the progressives in this video like Krystal Ball here mentioned that this is concerning if you care about privacy/free speech.

What I don't understand, is why do so many left leaning people stopped caring about this issue? It shouldn't be left/right issue, it should be a common value that we all care about, no matter the political spectrum that you belong on.

6 minutes ago, Nemra said:

I don't think Russians really have free speech in the first place.

For sure, you're right, places like Russia and China are quite a bit further down this path than the West. Their examples actually assist in observing the progression, and make it more predictable the types of new anti-privacy laws that will be pushed.

I think the term "freedom of speech" has probably become too tainted by the odor of ideology to be useful in conversation. My worries are more about the stripping away of privacy. Coincidentally, I do think this will have a chilling effect on people feeling comfortable to freely speak their minds. But free speech as a specific concept is a bit murky, with various groups having different interpretations.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, questionreality said:

No, it's important for every person who values privacy, freedom of speech and doesn't take it for granted .

I don't think you understand the seriousness of this

I'd like people who actually need it to have freedom of speech.

People who complain about this stuff because their opinions can't be heard more confuse it with actually not having freedom of speech.

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Nemra said:

I'd like people who actually need it to have freedom of speech.

People who complain about this stuff because their opinions can't be heard more confuse it with actually not having freedom of speech.

Who are you to decide who needs or it who doesn't? 

Same goes for privacy.

As Durov said, Telegram is either secure or not secure for everyone - you can't have the app secure for certain people and not for others.

Edited by questionreality

30 minutes ago, What Am I said:

My worries are more about the stripping away of privacy.

I somewhat share my worries with you.

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, questionreality said:

Who are you to decide who needs or it who doesn't? 

Freedom of speech is not a given.

You're saying you don't decide who needs it, but I do?

Edited by Nemra

25 minutes ago, Nemra said:

Freedom of speech is not a given.

You're saying you don't decide who needs it, but I do?

If you rather live in a country like China, that is your choice. There it's not a given. 

@questionreality

Are you trying to give me an example of a country that lacks freedom of speech to make me afraid that it could be taken away from me? Do you think that I don't understand that?

1 hour ago, Nemra said:

Posted (edited)

Comparing France to China is silly.

Yes, the EU will have strong regulations over social media. You're just gonna have to accept that. 

Don't go into 1984 hysterics. US communications have not been private for 20+ years now. The world hasn't collapsed. No one cares about your communications unless you are doing highly illegal things.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

The world hasn't collapsed. No one cares about your communications unless you are doing highly illegal things.

@Leo Gura, tell that to @questionreality.

Edited by Nemra

@Leo Gura i was not comparing France to China - it was a response to Nemra.

The Durov case is a very absurd one that can set a major precedent. I think out of all the people you should understand this.

@Nemra  No, the point is that there they decide who has it and who doesn't.

@Leo Gura Or they detained him because so much of israeli telegrams are celeberating death of palestinians , and they are tryin to contain the damage and change Israel's perception .