shubhamsharma

Fasting.

49 posts in this topic

I am thinking to do 30 days water fasting to transform myself more spiritually. I just wanna know if anyone here has done fasting for that long? And if it is possible? I live in India by the way and before I was only able to do for a week. Any suggestions?

How much fat do you have stored in your body? If you are skinny a 30 days water fast would be harmful to your body's health. Even if you do have plenty of fat in store, a fast consisting of only water for that long is controversial body-health wise.

Do your research for 'how to do a long term fast without damaging one's health".

Today we have a lot of knowledge about fasting. Research it.

Spiritually speaking - a 2 or 3 days fast should make meditation easier - even a 24hrs fast will do that.

here is a few other possibilities:

• Never eat before Noon AND never eat after 6pm or 7pm - everyday and meditate every morning for the rest of your life.
  • Stop eating carbohydrates almost completely - as in less than 50grams/day - for 2 years.

How fasting is supposed to make you more spiritual ? lol

The devil is in the details.

11 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

While fasting, your body is given a break. You wake up earlier, you feel lighter, and you become more aware of each passing moment. Everything becomes heightened. When you get past the hunger pangs of the first few days, you begin to settle in to a more peaceful state. 

Food begins to look both attractive and a bit gross. You may lose your sexual desire for a time. You begin to notice a general rawness around you- in people, in material things, in attitudes, in materialism. 

Fasting really does help relinquish the morbid attachment to materialism, at least for a time. This, I would say, is quite a spiritual experience.

When I was fasting I found myself in a meditative state nearly all the time. Working was not as easy to do given that I felt I was half in one world and half in another. I felt more alive, lighter, less attached to anything.

It is a beautiful practice to fast for some time, to let go of the world in a particular way. When you come out of the fast, you will appreciate the delicious food in your mouth instead of gobbling it down. You will feel a sense of respect that normally gets glossed over- this is a spiritual practice too, I believe.

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐞𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐞.
𝐈𝐭’𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐢𝐭’𝐬 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐢𝐭’𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲, 𝐢𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐬𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐭𝐞. 𝐢𝐭’𝐬 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫

1 hour ago, shubhamsharma said:

I am thinking to do 30 days water fasting to transform myself more spiritually. I just wanna know if anyone here has done fasting for that long? And if it is possible? I live in India by the way and before I was only able to do for a week. Any suggestions?

I haven't done a water fast longer than one week, though I'm confident I could have gone longer. Since that was my longest streak, I was unsure about extending it further.

I suggest trying a 2-week fast first to see how it goes.

It's also important to ensure you have adequate body fat and electrolytes available during the fast.

7 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

You’ve developed a habit of subtly ridiculing people for things you disagree with.

Honoring the self I've grown to love.

Posted (edited)

The search for magic pills and shortcut solutions can be dangerous. You want it then great but start with something small.

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

4 minutes ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

While fasting, your body is given a break. You wake up earlier, you feel lighter, and you become more aware of each passing moment. Everything becomes heightened. When you get past the hunger pangs of the first few days, you begin to settle in to a more peaceful state.

I have 4 ideas that come in mind :

-Ketones significantly decrease the enzyme that turn Glutamate into GABA + fats in general increase GABA neurotransmition.

-Starvation increases serotonin and glucocorticoids.

-No more FODMAPs, allergenic foods in general

-No more digestion, especially if you have digestives issues.

11 minutes ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

Fasting really does help relinquish the morbid attachment to materialism, at least for a time. This, I would say, is quite a spiritual experience.

The last time i did a one week fast for the experiment, i could have eaten the neighbor's dog on a spit.

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

The last time i did a one week fast for the experiment, i could have eaten the neighbor's dog on a spit.

Sounds lovely.

1 hour ago, shree said:

You’ve developed a habit of subtly ridiculing people for things you disagree with.

A bit of irony.
Will op survive?

1 hour ago, Sugarcoat said:

@Schizophonia 😂😂

The secret of my grand intelligence :

yum

IMG_0465.jpeg

1 minute ago, Schizophonia said:

The secret of my grand intelligence :

yum

IMG_0465.jpeg

Looks good 

7 hours ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

Food begins to look both attractive and a bit gross. You may lose your sexual desire for a time. You begin to notice a general rawness around you- in people, in material things, in attitudes, in materialism. 

When I was fasting I found myself in a meditative state nearly all the time. Working was not as easy to do given that I felt I was half in one world and half in another. I felt more alive, lighter, less attached to anything.

It is a beautiful practice to fast for some time, to let go of the world in a particular way. When you come out of the fast, you will appreciate the delicious food in your mouth instead of gobbling it down. You will feel a sense of respect that normally gets glossed over- this is a spiritual practice too, I believe.

Great description MarioGabrielJ

When I was younger I use to fast regularly, you reminded me of it...

6 hours ago, ICURBlessings said:

Great description MarioGabrielJ

When I was younger I use to fast regularly, you reminded me of it...

Thanks, I feel like humans were meant to fast regularly.

15 hours ago, shubhamsharma said:

Any suggestions?

I would eat like once a day instead. 

You cannot love what you need.

Posted (edited)

@Salvijus OMAD is very effective, but if you want a deep cleaning you have to cut out calories.

Edited by MarioGabrielJ

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, MarioGabrielJ said:

Thanks, I feel like humans were meant to fast regularly.

Yes - and it is in our biology.

Our biology can be traced back to the first life on Earth.

Living things of every kind - microbes, plants, animals and humans - are structures that are continuously building themselves and most have a body that moves in space - locomotion. At the heart of this phenomenon we have an energy process that is called 'metabolism'.

Plants metabolize energy from light among other things - as human do from what they eat. One thing all forms of life have in common is that their source of energy are not continuous. Plants on a cloudy day have less light and at night have no light, for example. Birds have an abundance of food in the summer and fall, and almost none in the winter. It has been this way since the beginning of life on earth. To answer this almost universal condition every type of metabolic processes includes mechanisms designed to not only adapt to this natural condition of life on Earth, but to also to manage itself as efficient as possible. The periods when the resources are nil are part of the structure of every type of metabolic processes. This is fundamental to our biology.

When humans as a result of the discovery of agriculture, and today - compounded with global transport - we suddenly (in the big-picture of millions of years) are able to have continuous resources of food year around. So not only we can violate this very ancient rhythm BUT WE DO violate it. And from this violation chronic diseases and ills are created.

here is just a few of the ills that are a consequence of metabolic dysfunction:

Diabetes

Obesity

Cardiovascular diseases

Hypertension

strokes

cancer

All kinds of bowel syndromes

And many, many others

This does not mean occasional fasting is the cure - although it is very helpful. Understanding metabolic dysfunction must lead to understanding the effect of carbohydrates, especially the effect in relation to their 'quantity' on our metabolism. Fasting engenders what is called KETOSIS and  AUTOPHAGY. Both can be accomplish with a proper diet maintained year around.

Edited by ICURBlessings

2 hours ago, ICURBlessings said:

Yes - and it is in our biology.

Our biology can be traced back to the first life on Earth.

Living things of every kind - microbes, plants, animals and humans - are structures that are continuously building themselves and most have a body that moves in space - locomotion. At the heart of this phenomenon we have an energy process that is called 'metabolism'.

Plants metabolize energy from light among other things - as human do from what they eat. One thing all forms of life have in common is that their source of energy are not continuous. Plants on a cloudy day have less light and at night have no light, for example. Birds have an abundance of food in the summer and fall, and almost none in the winter. It has been this way since the beginning of life on earth. To answer this almost universal condition every type of metabolic processes includes mechanisms designed to not only adapt to this natural condition of life on Earth, but to also to manage itself as efficient as possible. The periods when the resources are nil are part of the structure of every type of metabolic processes. This is fundamental to our biology.

When humans as a result of the discovery of agriculture, and today - compounded with global transport - we suddenly (in the big-picture of millions of years) are able to have continuous resources of food year around. So not only we can violate this very ancient rhythm BUT WE DO violate it. And from this violation chronic diseases and ills are created.

here is just a few of the ills that are a consequence of metabolic dysfunction:

Diabetes

Obesity

Cardiovascular diseases

Hypertension

strokes

cancer

cavities

periodontal diseases

appendicitis

peptic ulcers

diverticulitis

gallstones

hemorrhoids

constipation

Allergies

All kinds of bowel syndromes

Etc...

This does not mean occasional fasting is the cure - although it is very helpful. Understanding metabolic dysfunction must lead to understanding the effect of carbohydrates, especially the effect in relation to their 'quantity' on our metabolism. Fasting engenders what is called KETOSIS and  AUTOPHAGY. Both can be accomplish with a proper diet maintained year around.

I enjoyed reading this, thanks 

Posted (edited)

That’s really long. Are you prepared for it? I used fasting to lose weight and change my life. I was doing 2-3 days at a time. I was kinda fat too. I would not eat for 1-2 days in a row then eat normally for a few then do 1 day without. I did this for 2-3 months. I wouldn’t do that 30 day thing unless you have really prepared and trained for this and are an expert. Just be careful. Tell us how it goes. With fasting a little goes a long way, at least for me. Try fasting 2 days a week for a month or two and just sticking to your normal commitments. Your whole life will change. You don’t need to go to extremes to make big life changes.

Edited by Lyubov

On 8/24/2024 at 0:53 PM, shubhamsharma said:

I would consult your doctor and also letting him know if it’s safe to do so. I know of one man that fasted for 40 days with water only, so it’s def possible, he also did it for spiritual purposes.