Mehwishqurayshi

Does Familiarity Breed Contempt?

14 posts in this topic

We've all heard the saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt." But does it? Let's break this down using a simple example.

Consider your closest relationships—maybe a friend, family member, or partner. In the beginning, everything feels fresh and exciting. You’re learning new things about each other, going on adventures, and genuinely enjoying each other’s company. Over time, though, that novelty fades. The quirks you once found charming start to annoy you. Habits you never noticed before begin to grate on your nerves. Suddenly, you're asking yourself, "What happened? Why do I feel irritated with this person I care about?"

This is where the idea of familiarity breeding contempt comes in. The more we know someone, the more we see their flaws up close. We get used to them, and as the mystery fades, so does our patience. Little things—like leaving dishes in the sink or being late—can turn into big points of frustration. You start focusing on what’s wrong instead of what’s right. The relationship becomes stagnant, and before you know it, contempt sneaks in.

So, does familiarity have to breed contempt? Not necessarily. The key is awareness and effort, instead of letting the routine dull your connection, work to keep the relationship fresh. This could mean trying new activities together, communicating openly about how you feel, or practicing gratitude for the positives. Recognizing and appreciating the deeper bond you’ve developed over time can help shift your focus from frustration to fondness.

In the end, familiarity doesn't have to breed contempt—unless you let it. With a little effort, you can turn that familiarity into something stronger, richer, and even more meaningful.

Yes I agree familiarity doesn’t have to breed contempt but all too often people let it including me. Relationships take constant upkeep as well and as people change so does the relationship. 

I think your thought process is correct and it is probably from our nature to get better, be more, and want more good.

So when something predictable happens, it doesn't add more to our lives, it does the opposite.

Posted (edited)

I've seen enough AI conversation to know that this was generated. Unless you're just a great writer! lol there's a book in your image maybe that's the thing, all Advent readers are great writers. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 8/21/2024 at 11:30 AM, Mehwishqurayshi said:

Exploring the idea that familiarity breeds contempt, relationships often begin with excitement, but over time, novelty fades and endearing quirks become irritations. As routine settles in, the focus shifts from virtues to faults, testing affection. The loss of mystery undermines patience and magnifies minor problems into significant grievances. Stagnation fuels contempt, though mindful effort can renew connections through shared experiences, transparency, and gratitude for the enduring bond. Ultimately, the choice to maintain or abandon lies within.

On 8/21/2024 at 3:10 PM, Lyubov said:

People change and it can be a hassle.

On 8/21/2024 at 3:48 PM, AsafTheMagniv said:

The drive to expand leaves the old in the dust.

27 minutes ago, Evelyna said:

Mere-Exposure Theory states that familiarity builds bridges.

18 minutes ago, integral said:

I accuse you of AI sourcery but the book in your pfp could explain it.

Perhaps-were-destined-to-follow-a-path-n

The world is infinite, and the need to "have" and "maintain" relationships at all costs is a trauma.
Being on good terms is nice, but the grand journey of life is about exploring ever-new domains.
It's a feature, not a bug, experience some of this, experience some of that, then move on.
In earlier days, people relied on the whole community for what a romantic partner is now supposed to fill.
If they're not interested, maybe do activities with others instead of dragging the same person everywhere.
It's good to be aware of these relationship dynamics, but the path of least resistance also has its merits.

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

@AsafTheMagniv I think your point and @Keryo Koffa make the most sense. These new experiences are supposed to be for the better so if you keep hanging out with the same people and nothing changes everything is familiar and stale then you're basically getting worse and wasting your life. Idk if there are studies on it but the good feeling probably comes from safety like being near people that you've known for a while you would feel safe and accepted but the challenged and progress part needs to still be there otherwise kind of a waste of time. 

<3

I agree. This is something that annoys me about humans and relationships.

Every human is a mystery and a new, complex territory to explore. It doesn’t matter how many years we’ve known someone- there is always something we don’t know about them.

I think it’s arrogant to say, “I know everything about this person” or “I know my child because I’ve been their parent for 14 years.”

People usually know each other within very limited frames of socialization, interpreting others through the lens of their limited and biased ego and mind.

Just because you do the same things with the same person every day doesn’t mean you truly know them.

There are always hidden layers and dimensions.

👽

TBH, I don’t place much trust in novelty addicts, at least when it comes to people, even if I myself am capable of providing sufficient novelty to such people. I find it tiresome. Maybe this is because I've put a huge amount of energy in muting and transmuting these tendencies in myself across my own lifetime, as I didn't wish to live and die by my impulses, at least as they were.

I also don’t place much trust in people who take things and people for granted the more they are present, though most of us tend to do this to a degree. There is often an unconscious self-loathing quality here that I find difficult to explain; I just sense it.

On 2024-08-21 at 2:30 AM, Mehwishqurayshi said:

Consider your closest relationships—maybe a friend, family member, or partner. In the beginning, everything feels fresh and exciting. You’re learning new things about each other, going on adventures, and genuinely enjoying each other’s company. Over time, though, that novelty fades. The quirks you once found charming start to annoy you. Habits you never noticed before begin to grate on your nerves. Suddenly, you're asking yourself, "What happened? Why do I feel irritated with this person I care about?"

I'm not as good as I could be at constructively managing emotional claustrophobia (without being distant and detached), but I've gotten a lot better at it over time.

This is where the idea of familiarity breeding contempt comes in. The more we know someone, the more we see their flaws up close. We get used to them, and as the mystery fades, so does our patience. Little things—like leaving dishes in the sink or being late—can turn into big points of frustration. You start focusing on what’s wrong instead of what’s right. The relationship becomes stagnant, and before you know it, contempt sneaks in.

Patience and showing restraint in your judgement are phenomenal qualities of character, particularly to those which you have deemed worthy of personal love, and who are not likely to take you for granted overall (even if you are not so perfect in your ability to not take someone for granted). So is being mindful of your own potential flaws.

Posted (edited)

Yes, as well Living Now as an Intense Experience will bring in more Perception and a Sense that everything Perceived is always Fresh and New, most ppl today, their Minds are heavy identified and fixated on past or future, so their never Present in this Moment, so Life is only found Now within this Moment, never in the past or future, so that is why ppl take things for granted, they put it in a past context and then its not a Living Thing per say.

So become more Present, then whatever is happening within You and Around You becomes More Alive and Intense in Experience, Taking things for Granted cannot happen when this is the case!

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Assuming both sides are good in all the qualities of communication,boundaries and all the mumbo jumbo of conscious relationship yes, is possible. But living among ignorant people will the hard if you are the only one doing inner work. 

On 8/21/2024 at 4:30 AM, Mehwishqurayshi said:

We've all heard the saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt." But does it? Let's break this down using a simple example.

So, does familiarity have to breed contempt? Not necessarily. The key is awareness and effort, instead of letting the routine dull your connection, work to keep the relationship fresh. This could mean trying new activities together, communicating openly about how you feel, or practicing gratitude for the positives. Recognizing and appreciating the deeper bond you’ve developed over time can help shift your focus from frustration to fondness.

In the end, familiarity doesn't have to breed contempt—unless you let it. With a little effort, you can turn that familiarity into something stronger, richer, and even more meaningful.

I do, but you make a good point.  Our relationships most assuredly represent reflections of ourselves.  It took me 50 years to finally understand my brother and vice-versa.  

"Te meteré el pie en el culo"

Expectations breeds contempt

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

On 8/30/2024 at 8:44 AM, integral said:

Expectations breeds contempt

yup.

"Te meteré el pie en el culo"