Javfly33

Why IT companies Keep people on the payroll even if they are not productive?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In the company I am in this year I have Only worked 2 months, the rest is been just "time to improve", udemy courses, etc

In summary in this company ive been employed for 2 years and 7 months and i have worked 1 year and 5 months out of that time lmao.

In all that "free time" all i did was:

- Earning an AWS certification

- Prepare for the CKAD kubernetes exam which i failed

- A 3 week devops course which i didnt finalize because i got sick the last few days (so i couldnt deliver the final proyect to the teacher)

- And now Im preparing for another cert of about 50 hours of study, nothing too crazy .

Edited by Javfly33
Edit page

They perceive you as a valuable human being with great skills.

They will call you when needed.

The hiring process is chaotic. It is better to keep an employee than firing one.

Generally an employee starts to produce extreme value to the company after 3-6 months.

10 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

They perceive you as a valuable human being with great skills.

They will call you when needed.

The hiring process is chaotic. It is better to keep an employee than firing one.

Generally an employee starts to produce extreme value to the company after 3-6 months.

👍 @CARDOZZO thank you for your input 

Its not about being productive all the time, but its about having available resources at demand who are trained to do what they need to without needing to be onboarded again, trained etc. 

Also, lot of large tech companies go through endless mergers and acquisitions so you're sorta inheriting employees from other businesses and you can't just rid of people without a strong reason because you either have to pay them off or there is a high risk for the company to be taken to court for wrongful termination so it is often cheaper to keep unproductive employees than sacking them and risking reputation damage and legal penalties. 

If you want to terminate someone without paying them off, you have to have a significant amount of evidence consisting of multiple warnings, violation of employee's guidelines (in writing) and just have a strong case. That takes a lot of time to gather and most people are generaly hesitant to go through that. 

Alternatively what I've seen is employees get moved to a dead project or a dead department. Basically you get assigned some shit work and they hope you'll resign yourself. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

There's always the risk of wrongful termination and Companies don't wanna deal with that. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

On 19/08/2024 at 2:10 PM, Michael569 said:

Alternatively what I've seen is employees get moved to a dead project or a dead department. Basically you get assigned some shit work and they hope you'll resign yourself. 

@Michael569 Nice LOL Im definetely not resigning then. 😁