Moutushi

Ongoing issue with rape being prevalent in India

171 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@eos_nyxia When rape or sexual assault is common in a country, it immediately gets a bad reputation.

You can always make a projection of the values provided by each country to account for the under-reporting of cases.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

Comparing rape cases in the middleast where women couldn't even speak is insane. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

Comparing rape cases in the middleast where women couldn't even speak is insane. 

Exactly! 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

As far as the incident is concerned, the rapist was a police officer who was pretty well connected politically. I think he was married too, not sure.

The girl was a resident doctor who took an issue with rampant drug usage among her fellow doctors.

She spoke out against it, even had proof and was about to formally file a case against them and bring attention to the issue. They wanted to eliminate her so they got the officer to brutally rape and murder her. All the accused are well connected with the ruling party and they have systematically destroyed all the evidence related to this on frivolous reasons. 

Heavy politics is involved and I don't want to share the gruesome details. Better left not said. 

Hope the central govt take some action. The entire party should be banned IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

As far as the incident is concerned, the rapist was a police officer who was pretty well connected politically. I think he was married too, not sure.

The girl was a resident doctor who took an issue with rampant drug usage among her fellow doctors.

She spoke out against it, even had proof and was about to formally file a case against them and bring attention to the issue. They wanted to eliminate her so they got the officer to brutally rape and murder her. All the accused are well connected with the ruling party and they have systematically destroyed all the evidence related to this on frivolous reasons. 

Heavy politics is involved and I don't want to share the gruesome details. Better left not said. 

Hope the central govt take some action. The entire party should be banned IMO. 

In most of these cases, I hate how they show the victim's face but hide the identity of perpetrators. Same in the UK. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

1 minute ago, Buck Edwards said:

In most of these cases, I hate how they show the victim's face but hide the identity of perpetrators. Same in the UK. 

It's all a power play. If some well connected guy is accused they may not show his face.

But if a woman who wants to yake revenge on some average guy, they might show his face even if there was no concrete evidence. 

It's all about how much power you have!

Posted (edited)

Studying this particular case, I would say it deals with a broader context rather than just rape-murder as it was projected to show.

There was a previous case of a male doctor who had died in a 'suicide' in suspicious circumstances, after he had protested against certain illegal activities within the hospital premises.

The present female doctor similarly had raised concerns and protested against an illegal drug racket within the hospital, as per her colleagues. Insiders and certain hierarchical figures within the hospital may have been involved in the lucrative drug racket. 

This could be a reason for her targeted killing by the culprit who may have had access to information regarding her scheduled activities and rest time, from insiders. 

It is possible that the mafia is involved, along with corrupt police, government and some ruling party activists who may be involved in the drug trade, and this could be a reason for their lackadaisical approach as well as stalling interventions in the investigation process while it was being conducted.

The constant and large rallies by doctors nation-wide however gained attention at the national level, and elite federal policing units such as the CBI is now involved in the case.

The female doctor involved was bespectacled,studious,  a bit on the portly side and did not seem to look especially attractive on a sexual basis. Moreover
doctors in Indian society are usually revered and respected and even equated with divinity. So it appeared a bit unnatural to me that a doctor was attacked in this manner as I had never come across such news before.

It appears that she was targeted for other motives in place, rather than mere lust, and rape has been deceptively showcased as a reason for her murder. It could have just as easily been a male doctor who could have been similarly murdered to silence any voices against the drug mafia, with his death being projected as a 'suicide' as shown in the earlier precedent.

Drug abuse is rising in India with billions of dollars worth of drugs being seized in ports and drones from across the borders.  India's proximity to the drug based golden triangle in the east and Afghanistan in the west means that it is vulnerable to such entry of large-scale illegal drugs in the country.

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole

On 8/19/2024 at 4:08 PM, Leo Gura said:

I don't have experience with India so I don't know why rape is so common there.

I would guess the problem is related to the culture's lack of acceptance for casual sex. From what I understand sex in India mostly requires getting married, which leaves many people sexually frustrated.

On 8/19/2024 at 4:50 PM, Leo Gura said:

Highly doubtful.

I did not agree with Leo on this either. I came back now as I read another News from India. 

It goes like this, "The Maharastra (India) forest authorities have arrested four hunters for allegedly raping a Monitor Lizard"

So those who say that sexual frustration does not lead to rape. Maybe not entirely, but still, it does. 

On 8/22/2024 at 10:23 AM, DEV said:

I did not agree with Leo on this either. I came back now as I read another News from India. 

It goes like this, "The Maharastra (India) forest authorities have arrested four hunters for allegedly raping a Monitor Lizard"

So those who say that sexual frustration does not lead to rape. Maybe not entirely, but still, it does. 

Gosh this one hit me hard, this is tragic to hear that sexual frustration is that freaking bad, that even big lizards are being raped...

Posted (edited)

Is there any actual proof rape is common in India compared to other countries? 

Based on their reported rate they are a significant amount lower than the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#By_country

You might argue that it is underreported, and yes it probably is, but that still leaves us in the dark of what the actual amount is.

Keep in mind when you read a crazy story from India it is a country of 1.4 billion people, for comparison the USA is only 330 million.

Even if the rate of rapists in the population is the exact same in India as the US, India would by default have over 4x the amount of rapists, as it has over 4x the amount of people. 

Edited by Raze

Posted (edited)

On 8/19/2024 at 5:34 PM, Karmadhi said:

I thought the same at first, but then you see many very religious Muslim countries that do not have many rapes going on there.

The Oil-rich arab nations have small populations which can be easily managed as well as having a very good police to population ratio. 

Saudi Arabia have a population of 36 million and a strong police to population ratio of 386.

The Shariat law with penalty of beheading for rape serves as a strong deterrent. 

However the poor quality of the obsolete legal system and laws means that the victim can be further punished as the supposed perpetrator, and the actual perpetrator can escape with minimal punishment.

As per Shariat the raped victim must also produce four adult males who have witnessed the crime to validate her charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/17/saudiarabia.international

A judge in Saudi Arabia has ordered a victim of gang rape to receive 200 lashes - more than double her original sentence for being alone with a man who was not a relative - after she appealed against the lenient sentences given to the men who attacked her. He also jailed her for six months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-24438375

A Saudi preacher accused of torturing his five-year-old daughter and beating her to death has been sentenced to eight years in prison and 600 lashes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Saudi_Arabia

https://www.reuters.com/article/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/saudi-women-try-suicide-to-escape-social-pressure-idUSL12894106/

The media, unlike that in India, is highly regulated and subject to censoring by the monarchical government so as to filter out the bad news if any that can be injurious to the government's prestige, and strict constraints placed on the journalists freedom of speech and action. 

The murder of the reformist Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi government agents is a glaring example in this regard. 

Khashoggi was a progressive journalist who advocated for reforms in the country and was critical of the ruling royal family. 
Khashoggi wrote in his last column, posthumously published, that "what the Arab world needs most is free expression"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Jamal_Khashoggi

The same goes in dictatorial China as well, which in 2023 was the biggest global jailer of journalists.

https://apnews.com/article/china-press-censorship-hong-lai-2caeedd86717ef4667ada868abf67eba

In less economically developed middle eastern nations lacking oil resources, primitive and tribal traditions prevent the ensuring of full justice to the rape victim.

Rape is considered dishonorable to the family's victim and at times the victim is shot dead by her relatives, or even forced to marry the rapist.

https://www.jurist.org/commentary/2017/05/mais-haddad-arab-world-laws-protect-the-rapist-not-the-victim/

https://www.missingperspectives.com/posts/sisters-of-strength-unveiling-the-global-tapestry-for-womens-rights-from-the-mirabal-legacy-to-unheard-voices-in-the-middle-east/

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/belief-that-honour-killings-are-justified-still-prevalent-among-jordans-next-generation-study-shows

So the prevention of crimes against women and children requires not just a healthy police to poulation ratio of 222 and more, it also requires an adept and flawless legal system which efficiently and quickly delivers justice to the victim and punishes the perpetrator; ethically conscious lawyers, journalists and social activists in abundance to ensure that the laws are updated and not obsolete, implemented meticulously and law-breakers reported and punished. A value-based culture that deifies or humanizes women rather than dehumanizing or objectifying them is also part of the solution. 

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole