Hardkill

Why aren't other developed countries not nearly as polarized as the US is?

50 posts in this topic

(Hyper)capitalism is a problem, but it goes deeper. I can think of countries that are more capitalistic but less polarized than the USA. Capitalism in combination with meritocracy seems to be the culprit. In short: the American dream. Those who fail, the have-nots, have only themselves to blame for their failures, and are thus left without self-respect. As few people consider to point the finger at themselves, or question the system, this almost automatically results in a massive resentment against the haves (in many cases handily grouped together as the elites). The haves in turn, look down upon the have-nots, because they assume they have personally earned their high position.

21 hours ago, Treewatcher said:

@Con heo dien Countries that are more capitalist than the us?

Believe it or not - China is considered by some expert - more capitalist than the US Today.

So, I guess things are going to continue to get worse until they get better with this issue.

However, I can't see this problem getting better for the foreseeable future. 

I wish I knew how long will we all will have to suffer from this.

1 hour ago, Hardkill said:

So, I guess things are going to continue to get worse until they get better with this issue.

However, I can't see this problem getting better for the foreseeable future. 

I wish I knew how long will we all will have to suffer from this.

Before the internet, the extreme Right population would of been a TINY minority, totally marginalized and powerless. Now with the power of misinformation and disinformation used and spread by this Extreme-Right - a substantial percentage of the population - although still a minority - is manipulated into joining this extreme-right ideology.

I see this substantial number - although a minority - of extreme-right producing a huge stress on the whole or the rest of the population. If the 'rest of the population' does not put an effort to counter this - the Nation falls under the control of that minority. 'Effort' will manifest itself as a divisive force - but that is a superficial way to look at it. Metaphorically it would be like saying don't fight the cancer that wants to ravage your body because you will increase the sense of division between your healthy cells and cancer cells.

3 minutes ago, ICURBlessings said:

Before the internet, the extreme Right population would of been a TINY minority, totally marginalized and powerless. Now with the power of misinformation and disinformation used and spread by this Extreme-Right - a substantial percentage of the population - although still a minority - is manipulated into joining this extreme-right ideology.

I see this substantial number - although a minority - of extreme-right producing a huge stress on the whole or the rest of the population. If the 'rest of the population' does not put an effort to counter this - the Nation falls under the control of that minority. 'Effort' will manifest itself as a divisive force - but that is a superficial way to look at it. Metaphorically it would be like saying don't fight the cancer that wants to ravage your body because you will increase the sense of division between your healthy cells and cancer cells.

THEREFORE the battle should be focus on reversing the population's vulnerability to 'Disinformation' and misinformation. And NOT on the Left fighting the Right.

I think it's the opposite case. Internet has forced people to open up to different perspectives and people with empathy can relate to lot more people. So it benefits the left more than the right.

12 hours ago, Con heo dien said:

@Treewatcher Singapore and Hong Kong come mind

Yep, I was just going to say this. The wealth disparity is extremely in-your-face too (at least with HK; I've never been to Singapore).

12 hours ago, Bobby_2021 said:

I think it's the opposite case. Internet has forced people to open up to different perspectives and people with empathy can relate to lot more people. So it benefits the left more than the right.

YES of Course the internet has done both.