Hardkill

Why aren't other developed countries not nearly as polarized as the US is?

50 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, zazen said:

A similar phenomena is happening on youtube where every next podcast title is filled with 'doomsday, civil war, collapse' rhetoric and a shocked face as a thumbnail - nauseatingly cheesy. Perverse incentives. You see the same podcasts and guests being recycled between each others shows discussing the same plight of the West and the world.

Not that what they are saying isn't valid, or partially so - just that the circle jerking over it to profit of off clicks and ads is so boring and played out. It's like, why not have a convention where all these guys come together to discuss and brain storm solutions. But obviously that wouldn't result in the numerous videos, clicks and pay outs each youtuber would receive.

Also consider that it's just your algorithm that displays things like that for you. The average person might get a warped view of the world by thinking their social media algorithm is what the world is actually like. 

11 hours ago, Hardkill said:

So, the media isn’t divided in countries like the U.K., Canada, France, and Australia? 

Speaking from the UK, traditionally the media BBC, itv, sky news etc there are laws about impartiality with TV and radio broadcasts. So for example, political parties can't pay to advertise more than another on TV but each party is given equal screen time which is called a 'party political broadcast'. You'd rarely get an strong opinion on one party or another on a news program. This is still mostly the case but recently stations like gb news and talk TV came into the picture, where they give strong opinions on certain policies, I actually think these have contributed to some division, but their viewership isn't great. 

Newspapers traditionally have been very partisan though, I think there are different rules around these. You can usually tell what someone's political allegiance depending on what paper they read. But newspapers are not nearly as influential as they once were. 

Looking at American TV, it is so different, I can't imagine something like fox being that popular here.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, zazen said:

A similar phenomena is happening on youtube

Of course YT is a big part of the hyper capitalism I was talking about.

People like me, who try to provide deep and unbiased political analysis, cannot compete on YT or any media. Because to be popular one has to do drama and play to the biases of some audience. As a result, no actual sense-making happens. What happens is polarization, misunderstanding, and outrage politics.

For politics to be healthy it must be grounded in serious sense-making. Which no one wants to invest time and energy to do, because people would rather get outraged, or chase fame and clicks and millions of dollars, or push some survival agenda.

The entire media ecosystem is corrupted by greed, popularity chasing, moral outrage, tribalism, virtue signaling, ideology, and survival. This perfectly explains why our politics is so dysfunctional.

Hyper-capitalism super-charges all these issues. So really, what we're seeing is a peak Stage Orange society. Other nations are not as hyper-capitalist, they are more chill.

In America, rather than serious sense-making, people are interested in chasing money and success. So here we are.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

People like me, who try to provide deep and unbiased political analysis, cannot compete on YT or any media. Because to be popular one has to do drama and play to the biases of some audience

Destiny was wondering why you have only 100 million views on a million subs channel and I was like oh boy :D

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, LSD-Rumi said:

Destiny was wondering why you have only 100 million views on a million subs channel and I was like oh boy :D

One of Destiny's fans accused me of buying my YT channel and rebranding it, because my views were too low.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Other nations are not as hyper-capitalist, they are more chill.

Examples? Some of us could make use of studying the media landscape of other cultures to make fine distinctions between them & the US.

I believe it started in the 80s with news channels looking to boost their ratings. Bipartisanship, polarization and drama is good for business because its emotionally engaging.

As there can be no healthy discussion in a dynamic of mutual sensationalism of opposing views and errors, political ideologies entrench themselves into more extreme versions of themselves.

Its partially a problem of the silent majority being invisible on social media which results in the loudest and the most extreme voices setting the tone of a conversation. Its why people associate extremism inherent to ideologies like MAGA, LGBTQ, veganism, feminism, Incel ideology, men's rights, etc.

Its all tier 1 cringe.

There are. Unfortunately not just US problem.

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

There's polarization even in Europe. It's just not publicized as much. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course YT is a big part of the hyper capitalism I was talking about.

People like me, who try to provide deep and unbiased political analysis, cannot compete on YT or any media. Because to be popular one has to do drama and play to the biases of some audience. As a result, no actual sense-making happens. What happens is polarization, misunderstanding, and outrage politics.

For politics to be healthy it must be grounded in serious sense-making. Which no one wants to invest time and energy to do, because people would rather get outraged, or chase fame and clicks and millions of dollars, or push some survival agenda.

The entire media ecosystem is corrupted by greed, popularity chasing, moral outrage, tribalism, virtue signaling, ideology, and survival. This perfectly explains why our politics is so dysfunctional.

Hyper-capitalism super-charges all these issues. So really, what we're seeing is a peak Stage Orange society. Other nations are not as hyper-capitalist, they are more chill.

What would you suggest for someone beginning YouTube who wants to make high quality, in depth content and basic, honest, forward thumbnails, while competing against hyper-edited and popping in your face thumbnails? Just stick to my authentic style?

Lions Heart is my YouTube Channel- Syncing Masculinity and Consciousness

Lions Heart YouTube

@BlessedLion Depends on your goals.

17 hours ago, Hardkill said:

So, the media isn’t divided in countries like the U.K., Canada, France, and Australia? 

These countries have less polarized media than the U.S. mainly because of stronger regulations and cultural differences.

The regulations require TV and radio to be more balanced, which helps prevent extreme partisanship in the media.

They rely more on public broadcasters which aim to be neutral, offering less biased news compared to many U.S. outlets.

These countries have more than two main political parties, so media coverage is less focused on just two opposing sides, leading to less division.

There are stricter laws against hate speech and defamation, which prevent some of the extreme content that can drive polarization in the U.S.

The attention economy. A good way to exploit that economy is: divisiveness and sensationalism.

(Historically), two things will happen during times of war or great conflict: suicide rates plummet, and newspaper sales surge.

People get invested in crisis. The modern day media runs on stoking the fires of any crisis. They'll invent a crisis if they need to.

"What changed in the 2010s was not so much the arrival of new technology as the rapid evolution of a business model, the monetisation of attention. This wasn’t a recent invention; indeed, it dated back to the “yellow journalism” of the 19th century, which used sensationalist stories and cheap cover prices to build big audiences that advertisers would pay to reach. But ubiquitous high-speed mobile internet has sent the attention economy into hyperdrive, plunging us into an online world structured to prioritise not the truth, or what matters most, but whatever’s most compelling, which often means whatever makes us angriest."

Posted (edited)

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

The points you guys have made here make a lot of sense. 

but now, why do you guys think that there was much greater unity in American politics during the 1900s and early 2000s, particularly during the golden era of politics in the mid 1900s?

Was it because the country during the 20th century was much more stage Blue and less stage Orange?

Was it because the country had a stronger need for unity during WW1, WWII, the Cold War, and post 9/11 during the Bush presidency?

Was it because it much less people during those times dared to question the establishment and new sources before the 2000s?

Was it because the parties during the 1900s were much more similar to each in terms of what each of them stood for, especially during the mid 1900s?

Was it because the end of Jim Crow laws by the late 60s followed by the growing influence of corporate lobbying in our country ever since the mid 70s?

Was it because of Reaganism in the 1980s and then Trumpism in the 2010s?

Was it because of the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in 1987 and Democrats for decades did a terrible job with fighting the messaging war since then?

Was it because there was little to no internet usage and no social media before the 2010s?

Edited by Hardkill

@Hardkill It is not just in USA.

We have it in Europe where i live, especially Western europe.

You can see by the EU Parliament results, where far right parties gained a lot of votes.

My theory is that in general stage green went strong and now we are seeing the ego backlash of blue/orange.

Is it not a coincidence for example that after the first black president was elected, a historical achievment for the US, the next guy is a racist?

It seems almost that the USA society had an egoic backlash to the progressive idea of a black president, resulting in the total opposite person being chosen. A white racist nationalist (Trump).

In Europe we had very liberal green policies, especially related to mass immigration during the 2015 crisis and now we have the far right at our doorstep.

Not to mention the LGBT stuff, another box of warms.

We are currently seeing the battle between green and blue/orange.

High taxation for rich vs low.

Pro immigration vs against

Pro LGBT vs family values.

Secularism vs religion.

Etc

2 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

@Hardkill It is not just in USA.

We have it in Europe where i live, especially Western europe.

You can see by the EU Parliament results, where far right parties gained a lot of votes.

My theory is that in general stage green went strong and now we are seeing the ego backlash of blue/orange.

Is it not a coincidence for example that after the first black president was elected, a historical achievment for the US, the next guy is a racist?

It seems almost that the USA society had an egoic backlash to the progressive idea of a black president, resulting in the total opposite person being chosen. A white racist nationalist (Trump).

In Europe we had very liberal green policies, especially related to mass immigration during the 2015 crisis and now we have the far right at our doorstep.

Not to mention the LGBT stuff, another box of warms.

We are currently seeing the battle between green and blue/orange.

High taxation for rich vs low.

Pro immigration vs against

Pro LGBT vs family values.

Secularism vs religion.

Etc

Yeah, but it doesn't seem as bad or as frightening as it has become in our country

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Yeah, but it doesn't seem as bad or as frightening as it has become in our country

Because USA is a continent.

Europe is made out of many countries.

So it is easier for Europe on an individual country level to be less divided since each country has much more autonomy than a US state, even if those European countries are part of the EU.

The difference between US states is MUCH bigger than the difference between regions of an European country.

Also as Leo said, excess capitalism is a factor.

Lastly, except some Eastern European countries, religion plays a smaller role in Europe than it does in some of the US states.

Therefore, it creates further friction.

Edited by Karmadhi

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Karmadhi said:

Europe is made out of many countries.

So it is easier for Europe on an individual country level to be less divided since each country has much more autonomy than a US state, even if those European countries are part of the EU.

The difference between US states is MUCH bigger than the difference between regions of an European country.

Also as Leo said, excess capitalism is a factor.

Lastly, except some Eastern European countries, religion plays a smaller role in Europe than it does in some of the US states.

Therefore, it creates further friction.

Yeah, I get it now.

I fear that we may have to suffer from the ills of hyper-capitalism until the end of our lives? I am afraid that all of our freedoms in our country could all be all gone within the next 30 to 40 decades, especially if Trump becomes president again. The terror of corporate greed and the radical right-wing will enslave our country if we don't figure this problem out before it becomes too late. May God help us all.

Edited by Hardkill

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Karmadhi said:

The American Continent that the USA is part - is also shared with:

Canada

Greenland

Mexico

Costa Rica

El Salvador

Guatemala

Honduras

Nicaragua

Panama

Uruguay

Venezuela

Peru

Ecuador

Colombia

Chile

Brazil

Bolivia

French Guiana

Guyana

Paraguay

Suriname

Not to mention 24 other Countries that are part of the Caribbean which is a Region of the Americas.

Edited by ICURBlessings

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@BlessedLion Depends on your goals.

Thanks.

I don't care too much about income or money, but I'd like it to be sustainable (2-3K/mo). I want to keep high integrity, and help mostly young men navigate these psychotic times and create a holistic lifestyle that integrates spirituality. Also, direct one on one coaching could be in the cards in the future. The reason is that this was my most challenging and confusing time of my life and if it wasn't for my mentors (including you) it would have been much more difficult and painful. 

I'm wrapping up the LP course right now and the high consciousness value I came to was "Peace" so ultimately the goal is just help people suffer less. 

Lions Heart is my YouTube Channel- Syncing Masculinity and Consciousness

Lions Heart YouTube