integral

What are the pros and cons of immigration? Is it always beneficial?

74 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, ICURBlessings said:

That is one tiny example among thousands... Those that are against immigrants - including illegal immigrants - have no idea of the BENEFITS their Nation derive from them. 

The joke is they dont realise their way of life that theyre trying desperately to protect from immigrants would not be able to sustain without immigrants, theres a certain irony to that. 

6 minutes ago, ICURBlessings said:

That week I saw in the news a huge construction project were over 90% of the workers were suddenly not showing up. These were all working without a green card. They got scared and did not show up to work. They entire project was frozen to a stand still!

That is crazy, I feel like all this discontent could be sorted out if all immigrants legal and illegal went on strike for a week. All these powerful western countries would literally shut down 

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Consept said:

The joke is they dont realise their way of life that theyre trying desperately to protect from immigrants would not be able to sustain without immigrants, theres a certain irony to that. 

That is crazy, I feel like all this discontent could be sorted out if all immigrants legal and illegal went on strike for a week. All these powerful western countries would literally shut down 

Very true!

Illegal immigrant do everything they can to keep a low-profile - I am speaking from the days, long ago when used to be more around them - although you are right-on about how effective would an immigrant strike would be  - most could not be organized for that, most are very grateful to have what they have and do not want to rock the boat. Many act like a guess in someone else country - they rather be polite than 'rebellious'. Again I am speaking from past experience from many years ago - I am not sure if this has changed.

Edited by ICURBlessings

34 minutes ago, ICURBlessings said:

Illegal immigrant do everything they can to keep a low-profile - I am speaking from the days, long ago when used to be more around them - although you are right-on about how effective would an immigrant strike would be  - most could not be organized for that, most are very grateful to have what they have and do not want to rock the boat. Many act like a guess in someone else country - they rather be polite than 'rebellious'. Again I am speaking from past experience from many years ago - I am not sure if this has changed.

Nah it will never happen, of course they want to keep a low profile for fear of deportation, but just interesting to think how effective it would be 

1 hour ago, Consept said:

Nah it will never happen, of course they want to keep a low profile for fear of deportation, but just interesting to think how effective it would be 

I can't speak for Europe, but the USA is a Nation that was defined by its immigrants.

These are engraved words on the Statue of Liberty:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door! 

Like those that start a new business, they succeed from their vision and the effort directed by it - and rarely their children can do the same. Typically there is a tendency for the future generations to take for granted what their parents or grand parents created for them to enjoy. It is the same when you compare in the US the immigrants with the natives. The natives are comparatively ...I can't think of the right word... they rather sit on their parents laurels. There is a phenomenon that occurs across the future generations that gets worse until some crisis occurs.

Today in the USA some of those natives - typically whites - that are so afraid of immigrants -  are completely out of touch with the basic principles that were established by their ancestors. And this phenomenon has turned them into people holding some of the most anti-American standards, while carrying the belief that their anti-American attitude is how one is being protective of this Nation.

If anyone is still following the issue with international students and temporary foreign workers in Canada (I hadn't until recently), this seems to have escalated quite quickly: 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/08/26/canada-international-students-deportation-protests/

In a nutshell:

Canada is currently witnessing countrywide protests as more than 70,000 international student graduates could face deportation due to federal policy changes, and the unprecedented number of students who came to the country with dreams of a new life say their futures are now in limbo.

I wonder how serious our government is about enforcing this.

Posted (edited)

It's a funny pic but ethnocentrism/racism/tribalism is more common in lower classes and the less educated and rural.

Ethnocentrism and tribalism are grass-roots, not astro-turfed.

Of course elites like Trump and Vance exploit it.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

Pros of immigration: Leo

Cons of immigration: Leo

Watch out! If you're not careful you might end up with an asshole like me in your country.

xD

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Pros of immigration: Leo

Cons of immigration: Leo

Watch out! If you're not careful you might end up with an asshole like me in your country.

xD

LMAO 

The Leos are endless

but I stay silly :P

Edited by LifeEnjoyer

It could never work, not because you're a rabbit, but because...

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

On 8/18/2024 at 3:11 AM, Leo Gura said:

I am disappointed that this kinda content is posted on this forum.

This is a very relevant discussion. This is like the firsthand experience of "borderless" world, to the Canadian people.
Made me think a lot about it. The economy of a country is maintained by restricting access to the region. Economy breaks if there's no borders.
'world without borders' <=> 'world without money'

Here's a stage red perspective high on weed!
People from third world countries have a hard time even coming to a first world country, very less fraction can meet the current requirements. Imagine there's no need for a passport or visa, the whole world will be like India. People will start coming to Vegas on bullock cart or elephant backs. And they will have absolutely no trouble living in the streets. This basically means the whole world order is disrupted, jobs as you know it have disappeared. Every privilege "whites" have will be meaningless. And soon "whites" will be in a worse state because of the competition. Borders exist to ward off "low quality" people. It's hard to keep up the racism when "whites" are homeless and jobless and wifeless. It'll just lead to a civil war.

Cultural invasion is real. This has also led to the rise of poo memes in twitter. We don't have an utopian world yet, because we still enjoy being racist. Haha.

On 14/8/2024 at 10:13 PM, questionreality said:

I have actually been in Spain (Barcelona) and there the locals now have really turned anti-immigrant.

When I talked to the locals, they explained it for the same reason - due to skyrocketing of the housing costs. And most of the population in Barcelona is very left leaning.

And to most Canadians that I talked to think that Justin Trudeau is the worst prime minister that Canada has ever seen.

While I have considered my self a liberal for most of my life, I have came to understand how naive liberalism can be sometimes and that in some aspects conservative view points make sense.

I'm from Barcelona, and I can assure you that the locals haven't turned anti-immigrant. What we do have is an anti-tourism movement, especially against those who rent out apartments without a license. Even so, I'd say it's a movement that's louder than it is large.

1 hour ago, Alex4 said:

I'm from Barcelona, and I can assure you that the locals haven't turned anti-immigrant. What we do have is an anti-tourism movement, especially against those who rent out apartments without a license. Even so, I'd say it's a movement that's louder than it is large.

Whats your opinion on the anti-tourism movement? Obviously there are pros in terms of money coming in but very relevant cons in terms of pricing locals out of the market

1 hour ago, Consept said:

Whats your opinion on the anti-tourism movement? Obviously there are pros in terms of money coming in but very relevant cons in terms of pricing locals out of the market

I don't like it when tourists are attacked, it is very hypocritical because we're all tourists at some point. That said, I get the complaints, though in my opinion, it's not typical tourists but rather wealthy expats and other rich folks who don't mind paying rent that's equivalent to a full Spanish worker's salary who are causing the housing bubble. I think we should fight for higher wages and try to match the rest of Europe because I doubt northern Europeans will stop coming. If you've got money, Barcelona is a great city to live in.