Erol

Craving for adventure / heroes journey

6 posts in this topic

When I was 23 in 2019 I went to Thailand for 2 months. I meditated, lost weight, experienced this extreme presence and connection to life. I came back much wiser and more in line with life. Now 5 years later I gained much more weight back than I lost and was depressed for a long time. Now I’m alright, sometimes even good. Got a well paying, extremely easy going and sometimes fun job, live with my gf and our 2 cats. Everything’s okay but I’m bored out of my fucking mind. I crave another adventure. I’m a bit lost and confused. I’m afraid that even if I go on another heroes journey I will come back and everyday life will get me back. Reading or watching things about topics like spiral dynamics or enlightenment give me purpose but I feel so unmotivated that I often don’t even wanna do that. Writing and producing music is a big hobby of mine, but even that seems pointless.

I don't know if you're looking for another hobby or not, but I've been in love with rock climbing recently; it's super rewarding, fun, and social too. 
I also want to stay healthy to keep up my rock climbing progress; that's my two cents. Recently, I haven't been climbing as much, though, because I've been golfing so much and doing both at the same time.

You might not even have a gym in your area, so idk, just something to think about.

1 hour ago, LifeEnjoyer said:

I don't know if you're looking for another hobby or not, but I've been in love with rock climbing recently; it's super rewarding, fun, and social too. 
I also want to stay healthy to keep up my rock climbing progress; that's my two cents. Recently, I haven't been climbing as much, though, because I've been golfing so much and doing both at the same time.

You might not even have a gym in your area, so idk, just something to think about.

I had the same thing with running, but only temporarily

I'm in my mid 50's, I went thru all these stages as well, went on adventures and such, not rock climbing or dangerous stuff like some, but adventures for me which made me have to step out of my shell and explore different ways of doing things and such, then this Spiritual stuff came into my life and now, being married and with a steady full time job and responsibilities, nothing much excites me anymore when it comes to activities and going out and doing things, as I know what is going on with it within myself and how it will end, its a temporary fix of sorts.

With all my Spiritual research both externally and internally, I know as Humans we are always wanting to be more than what we are right now, this need to expand and destroy these walls we build around ourselves is ingrained within us, I'm trying to find the resolution to this internally via practices and contemplation and experience but it is difficult, life is hard at times, not easy even in the west we have our 1st world problems, that is the thing with us Humans, we can get so used to a situation that when that happens more challenges arise in dealing with it, we are always striving to be more, experience more, have and do more, but it is only leading us to one thing, to experience our true nature and Absolute realm of existence, we just do it in constipated manners lol... 

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

The obvious question is, why not go back to Thailand for another two months? Can't you take a sabbatical from your work? Even take the gf with you or at least she can visit you out there? Putting it out there.

57% paranoid

Posted (edited)

Sounds like your life might be lacking a deeper purpose/passion? Do you have something you are actively dedicating hours of your time each week? 

Maybe in your pursuit of enlightenment you have skipped the entire chapter of life purpose and it is now coming back to you. I don't think reading about enlightenment etc will give you the drive you desire, seems like the calling for adventure is for something else. As a guy you need to have something you are actively struggling with or conquering, not necessarily a physical challenge, it is more metaphorical, but for example building a small business could be that. 

Or creating something valuble, beautiful and meaningful that will help other people , the planet, or the welfare of all things living. 

Also, maybe you would benefit from something that sort of unleashes the "animal" within. I find a lot of guys get back some of their lost vigour once they reconnect, at least partially, with that sort of old-fashioned masculinity. I think we all have a little bit of wolf/warrior spirit in us and it helps to reconnect with that occasionally. Some activities that come to mind : weight training, martial arts, boxing, rock climbing etc. 

Meditating and reading about non duality is important but don't underestimate the wonders a 45-minute session of hammering boxing bag or squatting under a heavy barbell can do for your psychological wellbeing. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus