Bjorn K Holmstrom

Explore the world through a game

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am talking about the game GeoGuessr
I have played it a lot lately, it is fun, has a high skill ceiling and is educative in it's own quirky way.
Basically, each game/match you get five Google street views, and you have to guess where in the world it is taken from. You get points for how close you are, with 5000 points being the maximum, if you are within 100 to 150 m of the marker.
Modes which limit the interaction are whether you can move (change location step-wise along the car or trekker path), pan (look around 360 degrees) or zoom (self-explanatory). I mostly play the NM-variant, where you can not move, only pan and zoom. But many people like the other variants better (moving or NMPZ (no pan, move or zoom - just a static image).
Locations are taken from maps, which range from the minimum 5 to over 1 million locations from which a seed is drawn. User's can create their own maps, which is fun too.
I don't recommend the Single Player mode on the website, at least it's not for me. 
While it costs to play on GeoGuessr's website (I pay around 3€ per month), you can play free (yay!) via the extension ChatGuessr, just find a streamer (for example on Twitch) streaming the game using the extension. Look for !cg in their stream title. I am called "Pwnytale" on there, feel free to say hi.

Edited by Bjorn K Holmstrom