HMD

Why are so many people against thinking?

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Don't think, quite your mind, your mind is the problem. All of this bullshit is insane. Instead of advising people on how to think better, the popular advice these days is to not think. 

Edited by HMD

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

Posted (edited)

The true meaning of the spiritual advice to silence the mind and stop thinking refers to the monkey mind.

The monkey mind is never present, grandiose, fantasizes about power, and is self-serving and corrupted. It distorts reality and truth to fit its agenda and is angry when reality does not bend to its wishes. It’s obsessive-compulsive.

Most of the time, when people think, they overthink compulsively because of the monkey mind. 

Therefore, working on silencing it to connect to our true self, to God, and to access the truth, our intuition and inner guidance makes sense if we want to start to think better, more critically, rationally, holistically, with alignment with the truth. 

The monkey mind is an obstacle for more advanced thinking, because it’s highly irrational and destructive. Taming it (by bringing awareness to it) is a crucial start for being a better thinker.

Edited by Lila9

👽

Posted (edited)

I agree, thinking is not the issue, but identification with thinking/ thought. 

When there is a certain distance and awareness between You and thought, then the thinking process can be directed consciously and in a healthy intelligent way

Edited by Javfly33

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

@HMD you're right that there seems to be a general anti-thinking trend perpetuated by the internet. The thinking mind is the problem, but it can also be the solution, just look at what Leo does. @Lila9 is exactly right, in that a lot of thinking is just neurotic monkey mind so becoming aware of it and learning to shut it off sometimes, is beneficial. Quality thinking though is hard and most people don't do it because it's a real effort or they don't know how. It's far easier to fall back to opinion, arguing and emotions (e.g.) - some are even scared of good thinking.

57% paranoid

So, it’s about bringing awareness to thought, not to stop thinking. Inherently, it seems to me, there is nothing wrong with thought; it’s just how most people think (unconsciously) which is the problem. 

Hearing so much about of the anti-thought stuff made me slightly biased against it, which made it worse. It’s as if the more you try to silence it the more fights back. But once you surrender, paradoxically, you begin to have some control. 

I mean it makes sense too, how can you control something without understanding it? And how can you understand something when you are constantly judging it? 

"The wise seek wisdom, a fool has found it."

It really does require going meta and to think about thinking itself. Most will find this nearly impossible without outside assistance. Most therapy is about correcting bad thinking patterns. There's an argument for judgment itself being a thought too, so it's hard to just drop this pattern.

57% paranoid

I don't think you really stop thinking fully, but instead thinking can subside, and you can live from a place of observing your thoughts without over identifying with them.

Posted (edited)

It's easy to misunderstand what authentic spiritual transformation of the typical variety would be like. These two give a pretty good description.

Edited by What Am I

the problem with thinking is you believe it, i am this right? i am that right? yea sounds about right to me

no wrong, thought has you in its clutches and controls your life

you are nothing to do with thought

leave it alone

see who you are

When you are a child, you realize that without others you are nothing, a larva, you would be dead in a matter of hours. You are not afraid of loneliness and rejection, you are terrified. you remember? No? Maybe you've buried that memory. Then, you realize that to stay alive you must think, thinking tells you what to do and what not to do, what limits not to cross, what your place is. The thought system does not stop developing throughout your life, perfecting itself, to make you a gear that fits perfectly into a machine, humanity, which acts as a single being of enormous power. Sometimes, or rather almost always, this system of thought, this matrix formed by several layers supported by atavistic instincts, has failures, defects, dark points, imbalances that create negative sensations, suffering. The individual does constant work to harmonize this system, but does not achieve it. and there is a piece, something, that cannot fit into any case and avoids: death. 

In some cases, the individual realizes that he is a prisoner of this matrix that works 24/7 without rest interpreting and giving meaning to everything, and sees it imperative to get out of it. This is very difficult since since childhood total dependence on this learned system has been promoted that takes on a life of its own and does not stop growing. thousands of movies, thousands of novels, thousands of conversations, thousands of reflections, hours and hours of though and interpretation of another interpretations, everything is filling and filling, to be able to filter reality through this living software.

Well, turn it off completely if possible. It is coming out of the artificial world created by society to function and open to the living reality, to the true being that flows directly from the abyss of reality now. It is being alive without grip, without knowledge, without a safety net. Unlimited.

23 hours ago, HMD said:

Why are so many people against thinking?

Because just like actual stage blue religion religion, Non-Duality can also turn into a religion when it's misconstrued.

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

@HMD Because for the untrained mind, life is full of suffering. 

Be-Do-Have

There is no failure, only feedback

Do what works

23 hours ago, HMD said:

Don't think, quite your mind, your mind is the problem. All of this bullshit is insane. Instead of advising people on how to think better, the popular advice these days is to not think. 

You cant draw a new painting without deleting the old one, no? Its about knowing how to Stop thinking. So you have that option in your arsenal. 

-1/12 is Infinity 

There we go, I saved Leo some time on having to comment on this post

+ The segment timestamped is absolutely perfect in answering the question

Iridescent       💥        Living Rent-Free in        🥳 Liminal 😁 Psychic 🥰 
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤      Synergy     Your Fractal 💗 Heart     Hyper-Space !  𓂙 𓃦 𓂀

A highly developed person sees the limitations of thought and transcends it