Wizardking

What should I listen to 4-6 hours a day?

40 posts in this topic

I'm currently working at a warehouse where I mostly work alone and can use earbuds while working. Sometimes I get overstimulated listening to all the personal development videos on Youtube. At some point it just goes in one ear and out the other. Nothing sticks. I end up listening to the same videos over and over again. I have probably listened to most of Leos videos at least 2-3 times. I'm already taking action and applying some of the knowledge but I can only focus on so much at a time so being given all this other knowledge doesn't really help me when I can't do anything more at this moment. But I still want to do something productive with this given opportunity. I listen to The Power of Now which is really calming and centers me in the moment but I've probably listened to it over a hundred times by now. Any recommendations? Something that helps me grow in some way. Thank you for reading 

You could put earplugs and exist with your mind for a while. That’s productive in my book. It will help you grow in some way.

Sailing on the ceiling 

You can listen brown/white noise, podcasts, audiobooks.

Posted (edited)

Sometimes I put on classical or instrumental music as it helps me focus on what I'm doing. 

Edited by UnbornTao

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Rigel said:

You could put earplugs and exist with your mind for a while. That’s productive in my book. It will help you grow in some way.

I do that a lot but don't want to do it all day. I also meditate on most of my breaks which usually adds up to a little over an hour so I think Im pretty good in that area. 

2 hours ago, CARDOZZO said:

You can listen brown/white noise, podcasts, audiobooks.

That's what I've done but I haven't found a book similar to The Power of Now. A business book might have 10 key concepts that I can extract and apply in life to get better in business but rereading it after having learned those doesn't give anything more. Reading or listening to The Power of Now is kind of a therapeutic experience. I feel like it puts me in a healing, introspective state. I always gain new insights about myself every time I read/listen to it. It has a way of reflecting myself. I don't know any other book that does that. 

2 hours ago, UnbornTao said:

Sometimes I put on classical or instrumental music as it helps me focus on what I'm doing. 

I can basically do the work on autopilot at this point. Don't need to focus all that much. I'm hungry for growth and evolution. I want to better my understanding of things.

Edited by Wizardking

My attempt at describing what I'm looking for: 

Maybe a very deep and layered book about psychology but I wouldn't know which one. I have read a lot of Carl Jungs books but they do not really have the same effect on me as The Power of Now. Not sure how to exactly describe what kind of book I experience The Power of Now to be. The best way I can put it is that it acts as a mirror in some sense. I look into it and see something new about myself. The next time I look into it I see something new again. And it is as if some discoveries allow for the coming discoveries. It really is like therapy where you find puzzle piece after puzzle piece and slowly start to get an idea of the big picture making connections all over it. It also always leaves me in a very heightened state with a clear mind. Kind of like the day after a trip.

13 minutes ago, Wizardking said:

That's what I've done but I haven't found a book similar to The Power of Now. A business book might have 10 key concepts that I can extract and apply in life to get better in business but rereading it after having learned those doesn't give anything more. Reading or listening to The Power of Now is kind of a therapeutic experience. I feel like it puts me in a healing, introspective state. I always gain new insights about myself every time I read/listen to it. It has a way of reflecting myself. I don't know any other book that does that. 

Read "The Essence of Enlightenment - James Swartz".

Posted (edited)

@Wizardking Our Inner Ape

The Psychology of Money

Laws of Human Nature by Greene (loong)

The Path of Least Resistance or Your Life As Art by Fritz. This latter one may not be available as audiobook, though.

Freedom from the Known by Krishnamurti.

Some suggestions.

Edited by UnbornTao

Anything by Alan Watts. Be Here Now Network has a ton of his talks in podcast form.

I hear Eckhart Tolle's other book A New Earth is also very good. 

3 hours ago, Nemra said:

Listen jazz.

Yes. More jazz. Always.

Sailing on the ceiling 

I would either go for

Ken Wilber's books (spirituality)

Huberman lab podcast (personal development)

Emerson nonduality (ending spiritual BS)

~ There are infinite ways to reunite that which already is one ~

Sounds like a perfect chance for reprogramming your subconscious mind. There is a course coming soon apparently 

There is definitely value in re-listening to the same stuff over and over. Hearing something one or two times is just the beginning.

Mantras and affirmations are good 

Moderate effort physical tasks like driving, cooking or cleaning are ideal for thinking and contemplating as well. You could exercise that muscle instead of relentlessly consuming content

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter                   Restful Cube        

Speaking from my own experience, and I suspect many of you feel the same, listening to self-help content often gives the illusion of growth and productivity. But, most of this information is something we already 'know,' at least on a surface level. My mind tends to overestimate the benefits gained from these things.

What has actually provided deep insights are practices like doing nothing, meditating, and limiting media and content consumption (which is hard). Also, being mindful during mundane tasks, rather than just plowing through them, has been helpful. It might seem boring at first, but it improves with time.

I still do have fallbacks sometimes though. 

Instrumental music. 

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

Posted (edited)

Looks like you are looking for distractions to get away from the present moment. 

Feel the sensations of the body or practice some noting while doing your stuff and get rid of consuming internet content addiction 

Edited by RedLine

Posted (edited)

Sielence, seriously. And that means just talking less to people, speaking shorter and listening to your own ambience. Better to implement some mindfulness technique and slow your life down to quit or improve things one at the time. You are still making progress, and for some of your problems a quite a big progress for solving these issues at all. Usually people multitasking and never really permanently solve it. You don't need more information. You need more self-inquiry and awareness, you probably already know what and how to do. From basic things to your life purpose. Life purpose is just harder to put together.

Edited by Applegarden8

Try the hardcore history podcast