Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stephenkettley

Leo's Geography Challenge

5 posts in this topic

Ever since Leo announced the geography challenge to watch a documentary about every country in the world, I have been watching one to two countries each week and I must say it has been EYE OPENING AS F**K to see just how other beings experience this reality. I am busy watching El Salvador and it blows my mind to see just how bad life can be for some people. What we experience in our own countries truly is 1% of what's out there.

Anybody found particular countries eye opening?

Posted (edited)

Nice, wanna link the doc? 

I've watched quite a few on Bukele. Those who criticize him for human rights violations probably have no idea about even a single one of the many insane prison riots throughout the continent. Only just last year there was a riot in a women's prison in Honduras where 46 died.

Central America is a particularly interesting region, as those countries (along with it's Caribbean neighbours) have consistently being ranked as the world's most murderous countries for a long time now. 

There is a lot of value in seeing how gnarly life can get.

City of God and Elite Squad are good films for seeing the brutality of gang violence in Rio de Janeiro

For a comprehensive overview of crime in Latin America, I'd recommend Gangster Warlords: Drug Dollars, Killing Fields, and the New Politics of Latin America by Ioan Grillo. 

Edited by quantumspiral

26 minutes ago, quantumspiral said:

Nice, wanna link the doc? 

I've watched quite a few on Bukele.

Central America is a particularly interesting region, as those countries (along with it's Caribbean neighbours) have consistently being ranked as the world's most murderous countries for a long time now.

There is a lot of value in seeing how gnarly life can get.

City of God and Elite Squad are good films for seeing the brutality of gang violence in Rio de Janeiro

For a comprehensive overview of crime in Latin America, I'd recommend Gangster Warlords: Drug Dollars, Killing Fields, and the New Politics of Latin America by Ioan Grillo. 

City of God is one of my favorite movies. I live in Rio too so it’s very eye opening to see how the city has changed over the years 

2 hours ago, stephenkettley said:

I must say it has been EYE OPENING AS F**K to see just how other beings experience this reality.

Sweet!

Good work!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Lyubov Awesome- I've gotta visit sometime. I'm just not sure how much work I could get done living in such a chaotic place however. But I'm speaking out of my ass as I've not been.

Have you visited Fortaleza? Seems a bit more chill but still great weather.

Btw- the book I mentioned above has a great account of the origins Comando Vermelho in the prison on Ilha Grande. Great read if you're interested in that sorta thing.