cjoseph90

Decaf coffee

16 posts in this topic

Ive been addicted to coffee my whole life, like 1 cup every morning, i want to get rid of my dependency. Ive been doing matcha and tea, but now recently switched to decaf coffee.  Anyone else do decaff? Benefits?

Decaf all the way.

I worked out a long time ago that I'm intolerant to caffeine, or at least my body doesn't break it down very quickly. I get sweatiness, lightheadedness and problems sleeping. The genetics of it is interesting with potentially two mutant genes involved. I very much avoid Coke and Red Bull type drinks, and dark chocolate later in the day, green tea too. If I fancy a buzz, then I'll take a non-decaf strong coffee very first thing, but I always regret it and it's not a great drug for me. Although, I can build up a certain amount of tolerance, but still not great.

The only concerns I have with decaf are the method of decaffeination: Swiss Water Process or chemical solvents. The Swiss one is probably safer for the body, but you'll never know which process has been used especially in coffee shops. The other is flavour, it's just not as strong tasting as conventional coffee, and even if it's a darker roast it still missing that "coffee" flavour. You get used to it though.

The main benefit for me is being able to sleep properly. Despite my intolerance I never feel agitated or anxious on caffeine or that it does anything for my concentration.

57% paranoid

@cjoseph90 Have you been experiencing any long-term side effects? I am asking, because I was really big into tea, but when I started doing a lot of cognitive work for uni, the caffeine was just not enough. I started drinking like 3-4 cups a day for the last year or two and haven't had any problems with sleep or heart rate. I am physically active, so that might be helping, but I wonder if I should dial it back. 

hi, no long-term side effects as i can tell or that are noticable. I never consume caffinated coffee after 11am, i like the taste of coffee and just got dependant on it for to wake up like many others

Next @cjoseph90 topic :

Which unblocks-toilets liquid chose ? 🤔 🚽

The devil is in the details.

Posted (edited)

Funny because I'm addicted to water to wake up. Can't have anything before my morning cup of water. I love the smell and taste of strong black coffee, though, but I'm not addicted, nor do I have to have it; but I do have it on occasion, especially if I go out for breakfast but only after I've had my water. I notice it does make me a tiny bit jittery like my leg starts to shake a bit but not as much as when people drink a lot of soda. That's worse because the caffeine and sugar mixed is like a double whammy with soda. 

Decaf coffee does have a small amount of caffeine, so beware of that but not enough to really make a difference.

Boiling fresh cloves, can be a coffee replacement and i did post a special tea I made that tastes similar to coffee using cloves in the health food mega thread. Roasted Dandelion root can also be a healthy replacement. Just YT recipes or Google. Another one is mushroom coffee.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

10 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

Funny because I'm addicted to water to wake up.

That's such a funny thing to say. I drink like half a liter the moment I wake up. Never thought I was addicted hah

10 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I love the smell and taste of strong black coffee

Black coffee smells and tastes so good. 

I don’t drink it often. Caffeine agrees with my genetics a lot & I like it but I’ve had very tasty decaf. It’s definitely possible to make it right. It’s just a bit harder to source the top tier stuff. I love natural coffees and I haven’t come across a decaf version of that yet with my local roasters.

Sailing on the ceiling 

7 hours ago, Ero said:

That's such a funny thing to say. I drink like half a liter the moment I wake up. Never thought I was addicted

I just said addicted because she said she was addicted to coffee and was dependent on it to wake up. I depend on my water to wake up. Funny, you're right. I never heard anyone said they were addicted to water. Not a bad thing to be addicted to; only side effect is you might drown. Hehe

Know thyself....

7 hours ago, Ero said:

Black coffee smells and tastes so good. 

That's how I drink it. Straight up black; no cream, no sugar.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

That's how I drink it. Straight up black; no cream, no sugar.

Cream and sugar actually would prevent the adrenaline's come up. 

Edited by Schizophonia

4 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Cream and sugar actually would prevent the adrenaline's come up. 

Whipped cream w/ a cherry on 🔝 

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

Whipped cream w/ a cherry on 🔝 

👍

I wouldn't do that, but I would add lots of sugar and a little rum lol. 

3 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

👍

I wouldn't do that, but I would add lots of sugar and a little rum lol. 

Sounds like Bailey's Irish Cream. 

Know thyself....

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

Sounds like Bailey's Irish Cream. 

More or less, indeed 👌

@cjoseph90I drink quite a bit of coffee. Go for straight black now. Coffee does have a good amount of antioxidants and is good for the gut biome so I see no problem with it as long as you moderate and don’t drink it too late

Don’t think there are any inherent benefits of decaffeinated over regular. It’s just coffee with less caffeine innit