LifeandDeath

Infographic Model for Introspection. Thoughts?

8 posts in this topic

Tried to integrate a number of teachings into one diagram in a simplistic way, drawing on all core themes. It’s a model to map an array of introspective, existentialist-type, non-dualist teachings. Not sure if it’s clear for someone reading, if it makes sense or just my own journalling that is more like my own individual study notes. Keen to put it out to this community to get some feedback.

e9054dd1-8f21-4f12-a7df-95ffb1c9d00d.jpeg

Where did you found it? Authors? Books?

@CARDOZZO

it’s meant to be an inter-disciplinary approach so it’s a broad read across multiple disciplines, methods and subjects 

It’s aimed to map introspection and takes into consideration some of the main areas of introspection 

It was mostly inspired by Peter Ralston, after I’ve done the Experiencing the Nature of Being and reading some of his books

Ralston had the model as condition - condition (unknown) —> experience —> perception --> interpretation —> cognition —> effect. Ralston emphasises individuals having a direct experience of the work rather than a model. He also overlays non-duality and existentialism philosophy (like Sartre) as the core themes.

It’s also influenced by Buddhism. 

Some subjective psychology and cognitive psychologists such as Donald Hoffman. 

I introduced “meta-“ as the first stage where the mind is able to meta-analyse and understand constructs which is also inclusive of non-duality. 

“content” to talk to the duality experienced by the mind.

perception where we start to create distinctions we make within context. 

interpretation is self evident

effect is the emotional charge, value, purpose that we overlay on our impressions.

I added in Consequential to look at our reactions and actions we take as a lot of the prior stages are more internal and mental, and I think an action taken has a very big impact on the next moment. 

then I listed all the various terms out there across various literature and tried to categorise the best fit stage that I thought it fit into. Naturally not all words are a perfect fit and some words fit across most stages in the model, but thought I would try as I was aiming for steps and stages as best as I could as a guide to self enquiry. Simplifying various literature and aiming for a model that is comprehensive, inclusive, accurate to self-inquiry, and clear every day language. 

What are your thoughts? 

8 hours ago, LifeandDeath said:

@CARDOZZO

it’s meant to be an inter-disciplinary approach so it’s a broad read across multiple disciplines, methods and subjects 

It’s aimed to map introspection and takes into consideration some of the main areas of introspection 

It was mostly inspired by Peter Ralston, after I’ve done the Experiencing the Nature of Being and reading some of his books

Ralston had the model as condition - condition (unknown) —> experience —> perception --> interpretation —> cognition —> effect. Ralston emphasises individuals having a direct experience of the work rather than a model. He also overlays non-duality and existentialism philosophy (like Sartre) as the core themes.

It’s also influenced by Buddhism. 

Some subjective psychology and cognitive psychologists such as Donald Hoffman. 

I introduced “meta-“ as the first stage where the mind is able to meta-analyse and understand constructs which is also inclusive of non-duality. 

“content” to talk to the duality experienced by the mind.

perception where we start to create distinctions we make within context. 

interpretation is self evident

effect is the emotional charge, value, purpose that we overlay on our impressions.

I added in Consequential to look at our reactions and actions we take as a lot of the prior stages are more internal and mental, and I think an action taken has a very big impact on the next moment. 

then I listed all the various terms out there across various literature and tried to categorise the best fit stage that I thought it fit into. Naturally not all words are a perfect fit and some words fit across most stages in the model, but thought I would try as I was aiming for steps and stages as best as I could as a guide to self enquiry. Simplifying various literature and aiming for a model that is comprehensive, inclusive, accurate to self-inquiry, and clear every day language. 

What are your thoughts? 

Actually, pretty good model.

You should talk more about it, write a book, teach people.

I'll test. 

What about the workshop w/ Ralston? Hardcore? :D 

@CARDOZZO

thanks, for the encouragement.

I was considering putting up a free website to go deeper into the relational topics in each stage, more as a personal hobby but also to stimulate discussions. Might still do that, still deciding if it’s a worthwhile exercise to do. 

I was kind of gauging what the response would be to see if there was enough interest, or if it was impressionable enough.

Also, other similar models have been done combining Western & Eastern, so not sure if it’s repeating the same info just in a different way. Check out Integral theory as developed by Ken Wilber which is a synthetic metatheory aiming to unify a broad spectrum of Western theories and models and Eastern meditative traditions within a singular conceptual framework. 

I’ve done Peter Ralston’s program Experiencing The Nature of Being program several times, and one of live workshops, read a number of his books, and thinking of doing it again, so I can’t recommend it enough. A lot of these things are deeply personal though, so the model and practices work for you, but definitely I recommend, as it’s unique approach, with some unique techniques taught. Still practicing. It’s not been the only influence as I mentioned but probably a model used the most over the years, hence I’ve tried to include as many models I know of out there as simply as I could without too much over simplification. Although any model is going to over simplify. 

I stumbled across Peter Ralston through Leo’s videos. Then dived deep into it over the past several years, and in the past year or two I’ve gone a lot broader into other work on consciousness studies, theories, philosophies, and scientific attempts to progress our understanding, trying to include religious teachings but I always get stumped with religion as I find the domain of religion is so dogmatic and strict on its scriptures. But nevertheless, I try, in my own way. 

Have you come across any content that you see as similar to this Infograph or do you see this as unique to what you’ve come across before? What’s been your strongest influence to your personal journey? 

17 hours ago, LifeandDeath said:

@CARDOZZO

thanks, for the encouragement.

I was considering putting up a free website to go deeper into the relational topics in each stage, more as a personal hobby but also to stimulate discussions. Might still do that, still deciding if it’s a worthwhile exercise to do. 

I was kind of gauging what the response would be to see if there was enough interest, or if it was impressionable enough.

Also, other similar models have been done combining Western & Eastern, so not sure if it’s repeating the same info just in a different way. Check out Integral theory as developed by Ken Wilber which is a synthetic metatheory aiming to unify a broad spectrum of Western theories and models and Eastern meditative traditions within a singular conceptual framework. 

I’ve done Peter Ralston’s program Experiencing The Nature of Being program several times, and one of live workshops, read a number of his books, and thinking of doing it again, so I can’t recommend it enough. A lot of these things are deeply personal though, so the model and practices work for you, but definitely I recommend, as it’s unique approach, with some unique techniques taught. Still practicing. It’s not been the only influence as I mentioned but probably a model used the most over the years, hence I’ve tried to include as many models I know of out there as simply as I could without too much over simplification. Although any model is going to over simplify. 

I stumbled across Peter Ralston through Leo’s videos. Then dived deep into it over the past several years, and in the past year or two I’ve gone a lot broader into other work on consciousness studies, theories, philosophies, and scientific attempts to progress our understanding, trying to include religious teachings but I always get stumped with religion as I find the domain of religion is so dogmatic and strict on its scriptures. But nevertheless, I try, in my own way. 

Have you come across any content that you see as similar to this Infograph or do you see this as unique to what you’ve come across before? What’s been your strongest influence to your personal journey? 

The infograph seems a tool similar to Spiral Dynamics/Integral Theory but specifically applied to introspection.

You should test/refine that model.

On my personal journey, teachings of Leo Gura, Ralston, Jed McKenna, Ken Wilber, SantataGamana. 

Embodiment/Deep Transformation is #1 goal after learning a lot.

@CARDOZZO

ah, I can now see why you can relate to the model as we seem to have been following and studying the same people and models 

how are you going on your embodiment / deep transformational journey so far? 

I’ve been able to get some good growth in terms of certain habits, not all, but working in it, which I’m chuffed about, and now looking at integrating some of the internal conflicts I seem to have been living with for some time, where my ego sees them as competing but I can see how they could be more coherent with a mindset shift. 

thanks for the chat, and if I decide to invest more time in adding refining and the model then I will come back to the thread and let you know, but keen to just not repeat what’s already out there, and at the moment it’s more of an artistic expression of the literature and teachings I’ve been exposed to. 

hope you gain something from it too 

good luck with your journey 🙏