oldhandle

Is there a thread about Sonya Massey? Worst thing I've seen since George Floyd

124 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Merkabah Star said:

If she threw it we would see water in the air.. no water in the air. 

Wouldn't there also be water on the camera lens. All splashed.

Know thyself....

20 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

She wasn't standing up and she didn't throw it far. So no.

1 minute ago, mrPixel said:

She wasn't standing up and she didn't throw it far. So no.

ok

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

Watch the videos in slowmo that I linked I don't know what else to tell you guys or watch this with 0.25 speed from 10:39.  You can see the opening of the pot is facing officers, you can also see how she is lifting up the pot and threw it right before she gets shot.

You can literally see that steam coming off from the top of the chair.

Again you can condemn both of these cops and acknowledge that they hugely fucked up  and the one who shot her in the head should go to jail while also acknowledging that she threw the pot.

Now regarding the details of the story: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/sonia-massey-police-shooting-mental-illness-b2585416.html

she was mentally ill (had schizophrenia), and an additional context to the saying of "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus" :

Massey asked where they’re going, to which Grayson said they are trying to get away from her “hot, steaming water.” A seemingly confused Massey then asked, “Away from the hot, steaming water? I’ll rebuke you in the name of Jesus.”

Edited by zurew

Posted (edited)

If the pot be flyin', the black lady dyin'.

That's a little somethin' they teach you in the police academy.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

“Deputy accused of killing Sonya Massey in Springfield was discharged from Army for serious misconduct”

Article here

He could have handled it differently. Also take into account the generational trauma that black people have to suffer constantly fearing for their lives around a cop, that does contribute to any of the reactions in such tragedies. How is someone supposed to act normal under deep stress and trauma?

My name is Reena Gerlach and I'm a woman of few words. 

2 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

They shot her in the head so the water went everywhere no doubt. They weren’t close enough for water to hit the lens. The guy has been charged with murder and sacked. The link by raze on page one says that, so the police don’t think she threw the water or was a threat. 

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

If you knew how much you are Loved  by God. I asked myself this question 4 days ago. It goes like this if you could be anyone on this planet whom would you choose? I chose me forever.

Edited by Jehovah increases

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Jehovah increases said:

If you knew how much you are Loved  by God. I asked myself this question 4 days ago. 

And I’m becoming the woman I always wanted to be after 4 months of hard work. 

If I tried this in some other states or countries or time, I’d surely be killed for it. 

Edited by Yimpa

2 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

If I tried this in some other countries, I’d surely be killed for it. 

No you wouldn't me to me.

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This one's bad. Worse than Floyd.

Have you seen that video recently? I definitely think this is bad but George Floyd's was just unbelievable. 

8 hours ago, Yimpa said:

If I tried this in some other states or countries or time, I’d surely be killed for it. 

You should make that your profile pic, if even for a little bit when you're done. Or send me a private dm. Would really love to see it. Of course, you don't have to; only if you choose.

Know thyself....

2 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

You should make that your profile pic, if even for a little bit when you're done. Or send me a private dm. Would really love to see it. Of course, you don't have to; only if you choose.

Thank you for your vote and your confidence in me. The next 4 years are looking bright B|

3 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Thank you for your vote and your confidence in me. The next 4 years are looking bright B|

👍

Know thyself....

I looked closely and didn't see anything that indicated she was attempting to throw boiling water at two armed cops *shrug* 

4 minutes ago, oldhandle said:

I looked closely and didn't see anything that indicated she was attempting to throw boiling water at two armed cops *shrug* 

Even if she did, it wouldn't matter, and wouldn't justify the cops actions

Yea I agree with you there, not sure why it's even being brought up. Let's say she obviously tried to do that, it wouldn't be the proper procedure to head shot her, would it? Honestly half way through typing it, it probably is in the USA the proper procedure, I don't even know, American cops and the system protecting them is fucking just insane

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, oldhandle said:

Yea I agree with you there, not sure why it's even being brought up. Let's say she obviously tried to do that, it wouldn't be the proper procedure to head shot her, would it? Honestly half way through typing it, it probably is in the USA the proper procedure, I don't even know, American cops and the system protecting them is fucking just insane

Cops almost always get off without much trouble in self defense situations if the cop can claim he feared for his life. So it has to be discussed whether she intentionally threw the water or not. Because if she did, the cop could be let off the hook. It has happened many times. Only recently are cops actually facing repercussions for their actions. Usually they just pay the victim and the cops get a slap on the wrist.

So despite it being very obviously wrong to shoot someone in the face over something like this, it has to be brought up.

I will admit that when I first watched it, not understanding the lingo, I got it completely wrong. Part of the reason I thought she was acting odd was that when she walks over to the water and takes the pot off the stove, the cop steps away naturally, and she goes "where are you going?" like.... he's obviously stepping away from the hot water. He says "Away from the hot steaming water." Then she says, "Away from the hot steaming water?" with sort of an odd tone. In my brain, I found this really odd. Like sort of an "It's okay, come closer" sort of thing. Cops are very on their guard. I'm not defending the cop, I'm putting myself in his mind. Then, not knowing what "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus" meant, I assumed (I was wrong) that it was some verbal threat, like she was about to perform some exorcism. I believe the cop thought the same thing. Look at this clip-

Despite everything being said here, she did throw the pot. You can see it clear as day on the body cam of the cop. He approaches her, not being able to see her well from behind the counter. She then springs up and throws the pot at him right before he shoots. She was clearly not in her right mind, and you could've seen that from a mile away from the start of the interaction.They shouldn't have let her walk towards the water. They could tell something was up with her, and they let her approach the boiling hot water anyway.

But the fact that she had mental health issues and wasn't in her right mind could actually be used to help get this officer out of trouble.

So I do think there is some chance this cop gets away with it, or gets a lesser sentence than he should. Her throwing the pot is not a justification of him shooting her in the face, it's just true that she did it, and its going to change how sentencing happens. I hope it doesn't, because the cop didn't even try to assess the situation and deescalate. I'm just saying they can make a case for self-defense. Cops have gotten away with this many times. And I'm not defending them getting away with it.

This is the shooting of Daniel Shaver. Watch him beg for his life, then get shot for misunderstanding directions and adjusting his shorts without thinking. This cop was looking for a reason to shoot. He got off without any real punishment. The victims family was paid, but the cop never got in any trouble. He was cleared of any wrongdoing. They were called there because one of there friends was seen with a rifle BB gun on the balcony.

The cop, Philip Brailsford, was charged with second degree murder, but was found not guilty by a jury.

The rifle he shot Daniel with had the words "You're Fucked" engraved on it.

They same police department hired him again many years later and put him back on the payroll. They actually gave him a bunch of money for "medical expenses due to post traumatic stress disorder" from the shooting/trial. Then, they gave him a pension of 2500 a month and "medically retired" him due to "accidental disability experienced during the course of work" due to claims of PTSD.

Daniel Shaver's widow sued the city and received 8 million dollars.

So you must think what cops have gotten away with prior and consider how it will all play out in court.

All that being said, this cop caused the scenario. He told her to go over to the water. He told her to pick it up. Then, as she is doing it, he pulls out his weapon and says "I'll shoot you in the fucking face" after what he misunderstands as a verbal threat. Then, he moves forward, putting himself closer to to the person holding the "weapon". Even when a crazy person is wielding a weapon in public, you do not just close distance and immediately shoot them. If they are a threat to other civilians, maybe. But this was a woman in her own home, and she didn't have a weapon, she had a pot of water.

Edited by Paradoxed