Bogdan

Is there any way to do psychedelic retreats consciously and with integrity?

10 posts in this topic

I have recently interacted with this organization called Inner Mastery, because it was the only way of me to get ahold of Ayahuasca, 5-meo, San Pedro etc.

While I identified problems with how some facilitators do their thing, I was wondering if there are any ways of hosting these types of retreats in a healthy way.

I am questioning wether or not providing people with psychedelics is a good thing. Many of these people said that they are grateful for the opportunity of taking these psychedelics, and the human connection, but then again that comes from selfishness, does it not?

Let's say it's done in countries where it's legal. How can it be done consciously, if at all?

(P.s. i have already watched Adeptus' videos. I've talked to people from inside the organization and those interviews do not paint the full picture. I'm interested in a broader perspective moreso than analyzing this particular organization)

That's so cool dude. I really want to go to one.

Stop pretending you are not selfish. You are trying to better yourself with these experiences and come to deeper understandings of life. Sure it's selfish, but you are always selfish- why would you act against your own best interest?

A conscious facilitator would be careful with dose adjusting based on the individual. They need to have held a space for others many times before. It's probably best if they are large enough of a human to control you, so you don't stand up and fall and hurt yourself, or they need to have backup staff who know what they are doing ready to help. They should know CPR and have medical professionals on-site. The ceremony would be done in a way that doesn't induce panic, like very small groups. Maybe you can get an idea for the ceremony doing research online, because each facilitator has their own approach. There is no rules or oversight in this domain really, and you need to ensure they are going to keep you safe. I would make sure you have a facilitator with not too much style. Think the complete opposite of the Octavio Rettig guy. If you can get a sense of their practice/ceremony beforehand that's what I'd suggest.

You have to trust them enough to be able to give into the experience and let go.

After the experience, they should be able to help you contextualize things if you need it, but also know when to not contextualize anything, and shouldn't impose ideas on you. They would be careful about coloring the experience for you.

Providing people with psychedelics is not a good or bad thing. it could be good or bad. Your history with substances and your mental health are a factor. These experiences are not guaranteed to give you human connection or loving experience. Could leave you feeling scared and alone.

Where are you located? You can source synthetic mescaline online, the active ingredient in San pedro. It's legal in most states and is called methallylescaline. You can also make pharmahuasca with regular DMT + MAO inhibitor. Its not exactly the same experience as ayahuasca though.

24 minutes ago, Paradoxed said:

Stop pretending you are not selfish.

Stop pretending you are not Consciousness.

;)

31 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Stop pretending you are not Consciousness.

;)

Is that what I'm doing?

19 minutes ago, Paradoxed said:

Is that what I'm doing?

I was making a general statement.

34 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I was making a general statement.

I will admit to forgetting who and what I am quite often.

Posted (edited)

The first time I took Aya was with Inner Mastery. I agree they have some flaws with how they facilitate. Especially when it comes to offering too many substances in a short period of time. To me, that is totally unnecessary and adding unnecessary risks. Luckily I had done an extensive research before attending and I only used Ayahuasca. During the retreat it's easy for one to feel pressured and give in to using other stuff.

For instance, taking either Bufo or synthetic 5-MeO the day after an Aya ceremony is quite risky due to the MAOIs.

I think a more conscious facilitation would involve a more rigorous pre-screening, followed by substatial free resources preparing the person to the experience. Hard to say how this should be done. Perhaps, with the new wave of psychedelic research, science will come up with some more rigorous guidelines. If you are interested in this topic you can check research papers and attend conferences, there are many happening throughout Europe.

During the experience itself facilitators would ideally have the necessariy medical equipment to use should anything go wrong. They should also not be afraid of calling an ambulance should that be required. Which is often not the case when they're doing it in places where it's illegal.

Psychedelics are tricky in their nature, using them is putting oneself on the line. This has to be clear to the people taking it -- it's not always the case.

Edited by PsychedelicEagle

7 minutes ago, PsychedelicEagle said:

For instance, taking either Bufo or synthetic 5-MeO the day after an Aya ceremony is quite risky due to the MAOIs.

I don't understand why you'd want to do Ayahuasca, 5meo, and San Pedro back to back like that in the first place. Even if it was safe, it feels like too much, trying to jam pack 3 massive experiences in one weekend.

And this is the number one way people die from 5meo.

1 hour ago, Paradoxed said:

I don't understand why you'd want to do Ayahuasca, 5meo, and San Pedro back to back like that in the first place. Even if it was safe, it feels like too much, trying to jam pack 3 massive experiences in one weekend.

And this is the number one way people die from 5meo.

To generalize, people think more is better, want to get their money's worth, and have a tendency to say yes when something is offered from someone they've consciously or unconsciously given authority to.