Ross Labby

Moving to Toronto - Advice Please

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi, I am going to be moving to my friend’s place in Toronto this September as I currently live in a smaller city here in Canada. It’s going to be for four months (so far).

So there are a few reasons why I’m moving there. One, I like the big city life. Two, I want to work on my dating life since I have little experience. And three, I want to start performing live music there as I am working on finding my life purpose by doing a 1 year small bets for music and then film for the following year. And I’ve had experience with these two domains before, so these small bets feel like the final test.

Now I’m aware that I’m not going to get amazing success in four months, it’s just that I want to get a taste for them. Like I’m 24 and I want to start LIVING. It’s also only for four months since it’s expensive and currently unaffordable for me if I were to live there for a long time.

So I just have a couple questions regarding this move. One, does anyone know if pickup/cold approach is common in Toronto or is it more of a social circle kind of city? Because I was looking up bars/clubs there and saw that the biggest one holds up to 4,000 people. And I’m pretty sure Leo has mentioned these types of clubs to be ideal for a cold approach style due to their great volume of people. Two, if I’m working on my music (mostly just performing live music gigs), going out to socialize/do pickup, and work my part time job, do you think this is too much on my plate for four months? Because roughly I’d imagine working some hours during the week with the rest of my time dedicated to music, and then going out friday and saturday nights to socialize/do pickup. Would just like a reality check in case it seems like too much. Because even though I’m excited, I am also super nervous and don’t want to be too overwhelmed with too many things.

Would like to hear what y’all think and any advice. Thank you.

Edited by Ross Labby
Edited

Cold approach in any city in the GTA is viable, there's tons of people and many are outgoing. You'd have to travel far (2 hour+) to find a small enough town where that'd get weird fast. Most people are in groups but sometimes that can work out to an advantage as people might actually be more willing to engage with strangers while grouped up. 

Since you're only there for 4 months, you can really get a chance to appreciate the city and a new environment without the drawback of being forced to make it work. You're not forced to move there forever or are planning to, so don't fret.

Do you have a job lined up, are your finances prepared? That's the biggest factor that will ensure your security. 

What's your style of musicianship?

In general live music is hotly contested and secured by regular performers even over a year in advance. You'd need a very special portfolio and skillset to shoehorn your way into a bar or club <4 months. That being said, you could immerse yourself in rehearsal spaces/jam zones, meetups, open mics, busking, and freebie gigs. You could try to attend as many music related events as possible to work on networking + pickup (keep it separate from the band though). 

You may wish to take the time to do a music style retreat, where you regiment your practice and plan it out in advance, so you're always making progress regardless of social hits. 

Posted (edited)

Beware of Jordan Peterson. I hear he lurks around there. You wouldn't want him to creep up behind you in a dark alley.

:D

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

Don't become an OVhoe.

Edited by Paradoxed

58 minutes ago, Quader said:

Cold approach in any city in the GTA is viable, there's tons of people and many are outgoing.

Sweet!

58 minutes ago, Quader said:

Do you have a job lined up, are your finances prepared? That's the biggest factor that will ensure your security. 

Yes, so I'm getting a transfer for my part time retail job. Also, for my financial situation, I will be losing some money during the four months since my income will be unable to fully support my rent and expenses as I am relying mostly on my savings. However, to me this is not a big deal as it will be worth the experience of trying these things and it also won't make too much of a dent to my savings considering it's only four months. Plus, I have devised an estimated budget and expense sheet so I feel prepared.

1 hour ago, Quader said:

What's your style of musicianship?

Well, I'd like to perform live and I compose. I sing, I play piano, guitar and use a loop station. I have basic skills in these.

23 hours ago, Quader said:

That being said, you could immerse yourself in rehearsal spaces/jam zones, meetups, open mics, busking, and freebie gigs. You could try to attend as many music related events as possible to work on networking + pickup (keep it separate from the band though). 

These are what I plan on immersing myself in and yes I'll be attending networking events too.

23 hours ago, Quader said:

You may wish to take the time to do a music style retreat, where you regiment your practice and plan it out in advance, so you're always making progress regardless of social hits. 

Oh that sounds neat.

On 7/22/2024 at 11:38 PM, Leo Gura said:

Beware of Jordan Peterson. I hear he lurks around there. You wouldn't want him to creep up behind you in a dark alley.

:D

xD

22 hours ago, Paradoxed said:

Don't become an OVhoe.

Never lol

Posted (edited)

Dm me if you want, I have a pretty big social circle in Toronto.

Here is the birthplace of pickup, it’s where Mystery and Owen Cook are from. Pretty ruthless dating scene but it’ll teach you a lot. Great but hard place to cold approach. 

Great place to socialize and network though and you’ll be able to meet whatever kind of people you’re looking for to accomplish your goals. 

Edited by LordFall

<3