Javfly33

Thinking of transitioning from software dev to project management

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I dont see anymore the point of spending hours or days learning new frameworks if there is AI. It seems finally the time to let the machines do the most technical work has come. 

Anyone that has done the same? Going From a dev/programmer background to management.

Im researching about the role of Scrum Master. Honestly It Does not seem very stressful...

(Not that management roles scare me anyways, some years ago i was in a ecommerce delivery office leadering +20 couriers. Nothing cant get more hectic and stressful than that LoL)

Edited by Javfly33

@Javfly33 Project management is pretty easy. You just have loads of meetings and delegate tasks 

15 hours ago, Chadders said:

@Javfly33 Project management is pretty easy. You just have loads of meetings and delegate tasks 

Nice! You work on PM right now?

Im getting a CS degree rn

Thinking a lot about which direction to take it

Or not and do something else entirely

I know two project managers. And it can be an incredibly stressful job depending largely on your boss and work environment, like many other professions. One of them right now is actively applying everywhere to get out of it. You will be talking to a ton of people and constantly attending meetings and juggling tons of different tasks. If you can keep up with lots of stuff at once and act as a sort of operator, then you will do well. Try to get one at a well known company instead of a start up because start ups can have some really nasty people working in them. 

@Javfly33 at the moment I’m in business development but I do have experience into project management. Normally you might be working on a project/programme and you need to properly coordinate to ensure it is a success. 

This is why it often involves a lot of meetings as you are discussing with teams eg sales, admin, marketing etc keeping it in budget and on time 

Often the best approach with these roles is not to over complicate it. It’s pretty standard stuff

On 25/7/2024 at 0:23 AM, Lyubov said:

I know two project managers. And it can be an incredibly stressful job depending largely on your boss and work environment, like many other professions. One of them right now is actively applying everywhere to get out of it. You will be talking to a ton of people and constantly attending meetings and juggling tons of different tasks. If you can keep up with lots of stuff at once and act as a sort of operator, then you will do well. Try to get one at a well known company instead of a start up because start ups can have some really nasty people working in them. 

On 25/7/2024 at 7:12 PM, Chadders said:

@Javfly33 at the moment I’m in business development but I do have experience into project management. Normally you might be working on a project/programme and you need to properly coordinate to ensure it is a success. 

This is why it often involves a lot of meetings as you are discussing with teams eg sales, admin, marketing etc keeping it in budget and on time 

Often the best approach with these roles is not to over complicate it. It’s pretty standard stuff

@Chadders @Lyubov Thanks for the tips. I think i can like the job, im bored as a dev. What do you think i can do to help the transition within my company? Since i don´t have any management experience in IT

@Javfly33 Ask to do some work experience in another dept as part of your professional development