Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhilGR

Career in Food , building the ultimate knowledge plan

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! Is been a long ride. Im almost done with my Bachelors and I have to say although young, through you @Leo Gura as a guiding star, through the values I cultivated from actualized.org I feel im pretty damn happy with the vision I have for my life purpose.

I’m wrapping up my Food Technology BSc at one of the top agricultural universities in the world while workin part-time since my parents are broke. 

I originally thought I’d go into R&D at a big food company, but over time, I found myself drawn to politics, philosophy, and social studies. Lab research felt soul-crushing, and I realized I prefer reading scientific literature and writing. I’m also an amateur journalist for the student newspaper. So, I decided to go for a Master’s in Food Law and Regulatory affairs ,after doing a minor on "Freedom from Hunger" , focusing on food safety, a big part of food security. I hope to learn about transforming food systems as a whole.

Besides formal education, I’m committed to self-learning through lectures and books on the food system, from farm to fork. In 10 years (I’m 22 now), I aim to be an expert in this field, driving changes in food production and consumption. This might mean working with different companies or organizations to find where I can make the biggest impact.

Life isn’t all about studies tho. I value balance in my life so social life, relationships, travel, and experiences are also included in order to have a holistic approach. My exercise routine could be better, but I’m working on it.

It’s been a while since I posted here, but I wanted to share an update. Things are going well, and this community has helped me become more aware. I’m still figuring out my vision and potential, and I’m grateful for that. Hope you all doing well during these crazy times we live in.

How exactly are you going to impact the food industry? What are the flaws you see in it and how will you change them?

@Alexop hi there! Thank you for the inquiry! 

Food industry from Farm-to-Fork is a a very complex system that involves countless of actors that hold a say, it faces and it will fave arrange of problems differently in each region of the world.

Let's say a few problems are:

-Sustainable food production: lowering emissions and nitrogen usage 

-Food safety: emerging foodborne pathogens because of climate change( that's my thesis on) 

-Food Safety governance: problems arising by universal food safety laws burdening small scale farmers that can't keep up

-Food as a human right is a section by its own

-destruction of biodiversity 

-research in safety of additives in food

-exploitation of workers especially in developing countries

-food sovereignty vs international trade (thats the mode we running now) and that's why destabilisation from war or catastrophes can impact the supply chain

That's some of the topics im interested in

Approach must be interdisciplinary so i think is a pro if a person or a team can approach them from many sides.

Actors involved

- big corporations

-big/small scale farmers

-local or federal governments, like EU for example where i live has more to say about these topics instead of a state government 

-ngo's , advocacy groups in food as a human right, agroecology etc.

-transnational orgs, WHO, FAO, WB

so in a sense I can't be THE guy that solves everything but my purpose is to add my knowledge and passion in the effort of improving food.