blankisomeone

How to get over the fear of public speaking?

8 posts in this topic

- Raise your self-esteem

- Stop/Don't give a fu*k

........done. Simple.

Unless you want to indulge in hours upon hours of "material" to "help you conquer this fear" lol?....

..But I am being very serious: Say what you have to say, then thats that. Now becoming a better speaker is a different notion entirely

By public speaking. 

You can also join toast masters. 

Practice.

The devil is in the details.

Posted (edited)

If it's a speech or presentation, practice like you have never practiced before; get it down to every word, every move, like you're an actor in a movie.

That is what I did for my first presentation in many years back when I used to really fear presentations, and because I had practiced it so much, it went so much better than I had expected that it radically changed how I view presentations. I was actually excited to do more presentations after that.

How is that possible? One explanation is that dopamine largely works like a prediction error (actual reward minus expected reward). For example, if you expect something to go really bad but it actually goes really well, you'll get a massive spike of dopamine. In other words, if the expected reward is much smaller or generally worse than the actual reward, you'll get a big dopamine release.

So I expected my presentation to go really bad, but it actually went really good, so I got a massive dopamine spike, and dopamine reinforces behavior, which explains why I was suddenly excited to do more presentations.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 18/07/2024 at 6:08 AM, Carl-Richard said:

So I expected my presentation to go really bad, but it actually went really good

Nice tip 😂 I can see how it could work

On 15. 7. 2024 at 5:47 PM, Butters said:

You can also join toast masters. 

This