Something Funny

Question about the dangers barefoot running

25 posts in this topic

I need some objective perspective from people who are not into barefoot running, but eho are also not super close minded about the topic.

How real are chances of a tick biting me, or me cutting myself and getting tetanus, etc., if run barefoot.

I asked this in the barefoot running groups and the common answer is: "yeah, and you can also get hit by a car or get struck by a meteorite".

I've done some research on my own and apperantly ticks should not be an issue because they take a while before actually biting you and it's actually easier to spot them on bare skin and remove them before that.

And for tetanus, I should probably get a shot.

Posted (edited)

Stepping on a piece of glass, rusted metal, needle or some leftover junk is the biggest concern.

Obviously you shouldn't walk outdoors barefoot especially not in overgrown places etc. Beach and your own garden would be only exceptions. Other than that the risks far outweigh any questionable benefits.

Definitely wouldn't recommend walking barefoot out in the nature, you may have good intentions but others who have walked there before you may have been smashing bottles, discarding junk like tin cans etc. over time any corrosive metal becomes a severe hazard.

We've polluted the planet too much for it to be safe anymore 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

21 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Definitely wouldn't recommend walking barefoot out in the nature, you may have good intentions but others who have walked there before you may have been smashing bottles, discarding junk like tin cans etc. over time any corrosive metal becomes a severe hazard.

All of this is true for the beach as well, but it's seen as okay because it is more socially acceptable?

22 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Stepping on a piece of glass, rusted metal, needle or some leftover junk is the biggest concern.

Realistically, what risks are there besides getting the cut itself?

If I clean and disininfect the wound afterwards, what are the chances of me running into some complications?

12 hours ago, Something Funny said:

If I clean and disininfect the wound afterwards, what are the chances of me running into some complications?

🤨

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

53 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

🤨

What? :|

Honest question. I don't care about getting cut by itself that much. 

@Something Funny I don't think i have anything else to say. Hope you know what you're doing 

Why not just buy barefoot running shoes? I've worn my brother's pair and its like wearing a rubber sock.

Even if nature wasn't polluted with glass shards, metal splints and junk, I wouldn't want to expose my soft and supple feet to small rocks, thorns, bugs, muck and other detritus. Its risky and dirty.

Why barefoot ?

The devil is in the details.

Posted (edited)

On 7/16/2024 at 5:14 PM, Basman said:

Why not just buy barefoot running shoes? I've worn my brother's pair and its like wearing a rubber sock.

Even if nature wasn't polluted with glass shards, metal splints and junk, I wouldn't want to expose my soft and supple feet to small rocks, thorns, bugs, muck and other detritus. Its risky and dirty.

I am already wearing barefoot shoes all the time. I just want to try taking it further.

Edited by Something Funny

On 7/16/2024 at 5:18 PM, Schizophonia said:

Why barefoot ?

It's fun and I like the minimalism.

33 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

It's fun and I like the minimalism.

🤔

The devil is in the details.

2 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I am already wearing barefoot shoes all the time. I just want to try taking in further.

Ah, I see.

Well, know your limits I guess.

I can give you the perspective of someone who is into barefoot walking.

I've had months of daily 6-8km walks in the forest, all barefoot. I've also walked plenty around the city, even in Warsaw.

• The biggest risks for me are protruding roots and sharp stones. You develop an instinct after some time, that allows you to move with more precision, but once every month or two you will definitely get a bruise or a small cut.
  • There are smaller things like pine needles, cones, and gravel. Not dangerous but can be painful. The longer you walk, the tougher your feet get.
  • I've never been cut with glass outdoors, despite there being a ton of broken bottles in the forest and on the sidewalks. I find that big shards rarely cut into the skin, even if you step directly onto them. Of course, you want to minimize such incidents.
  • The amount of ticks will depend mostly on the places you'll go to. Obviously, the more skin you expose, the more bugs you invite. I was mainly bitten by ants tho.
  • As for infections, I've never had a problem with that, but I also never had any major injury which would be the major factor. You wash your feet regularly and you'll be fine.

All of what I wrote assumes that you are careful, watch your step, and use your common sense.

Running is different. You need to have a good surface for that. The risk raises exponentially with your speed and the amount of irregularities on the ground.
If you choose a good path and constantly monitor the ground, you can run and even sprint.

Overall, I would say it's worth it if you like the feeling.
There is a whole health argument for it, but I am no expert. It feels healthy and my feet have a nicer shape.
For me, it's mostly fun and having additional sensations.

@Ropuch7 thanks for sharing :)

Do you feel awkward walking barefoot around people in the city?

@Something Funny

You will get some attention and looks.

Some people will make comments, mostly jokingly.

It quickly gets tiring, so I use barefoot shoes whenever I go to the city or when I'm meeting someone.

@Ropuch7 personally, walking out of my apartment complex is the most awkward part for me.

I don't worry that much about random people in a park.

@Something Funny

I get it. When I lived in an apartment, I felt the same. When I wanted to walk barefoot in the forest, I would go out in shoes, and than take them off.

But it really depends on whether you care about what your neighbors think.

This post made me buy barefoot shoes a week ago and I can say with a fair degree of confidence that I am never going back to regular shoes.

Totally barefoot seems undoable to me. I don’t want step on glass or puke or poop or needles. Big city & barefoot seems like the worst idea.

Sailing on the ceiling