Rafael Thundercat

The Gringo Go Home Movement

44 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Oh yeah, just a side effect.  The settlers may just be using a bucket in their heads like your profile picture. For the ones having their lifes affected negatively by gentrification and all is not  "just a problem" is personal and no good at all. 

Don't bring that ugly tone. It is unnecessary.

Of course, as policy there are clear winners and losers in this situation. But you are not seeing it from any other perspective than the one you are biased for. An economy of serving wealthy Americans is much easier than trying to slowly build up capital, which is quiet hard if you lack access to natural resources.

I suspect this issue has a lot to with culture.

5 minutes ago, Basman said:

An economy of serving wealthy Americans is much easier than trying to slowly build up capital, which is quiet hard if you lack access to natural resources.

It seems you have a bias too. And yes, is Cultural a bit. Rigth Now while I write this lines I can listen not far from here a Pub where Live music is being played, a Pub In Portugal. So if you travel here you would love to listen a bit of the Music from the locals dont you? When we go to Peru, Hawai etc.. we would love to connect with the local culture. but do you know what music is coming from the Pub? Yes, you can imagine: Sweet Caroline Oh oH oh.. Good times never seems so good!!

What I am talking about is the topic of total discaracterization of a place, the culture and the spirit of the place.

The ones who dont care about it are usually the ones who are in the Winning side of the Situation. So of course is a Bias thing. 

This is not to say that people should not be free to travel where they want or buy a Home in a Ocean Coast, but is to see actually the ways Selfishness work. Is all about only to see one saide of the coin and fuck all the rest. 

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The GrinGo Home Movement

Huge missed branding move there.

Leo's got bars lol

11 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

It seems you have a bias too. And yes, is Cultural a bit. Rigth Now while I write this lines I can listen not far from here a Pub where Live music is being played, a Pub In Portugal. So if you travel here you would love to listen a bit of the Music from the locals dont you? When we go to Peru, Hawai etc.. we would love to connect with the local culture. but do you know what music is coming from the Pub? Yes, you can imagine: Sweet Caroline Oh oH oh.. Good times never seems so good!!

What I am talking about is the topic of total discaracterization of a place, the culture and the spirit of the place.

The ones who dont care about it are usually the ones who are in the Winning side of the Situation. So of course is a Bias thing. 

This is not to say that people should not be free to travel where they want or buy a Home in a Ocean Coast, but is to see actually the ways Selfishness work. Is all about only to see one saide of the coin and fuck all the rest. 

I've lived in areas where the local culture has been completely thinned out due to mass tourism. I'm familiar with the phenomena. Realistically you are not going to get rid of tourism or gentrification if there's money to be made.

You can regulate and contain it within certain areas. That's how a lot of southern countries with tourist based economies operate.

@Basman

56 minutes ago, Basman said:

I've lived in areas where the local culture has been completely thinned out due to mass tourism. I'm familiar with the phenomena. Realistically you are not going to get rid of tourism or gentrification if there's money to be made.

You can regulate and contain it within certain areas. That's how a lot of southern countries with tourist based economies operate.

Exactly how tourism works in the Civilization series games, especially in Civ 5. If you want to spread culture faster and gain more culture, tourism is important in that, similar to spreading religion.

18 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Basman

Exactly how tourism works in the Civilization series games, especially in Civ 5. If you want to spread culture faster and gain more culture, tourism is important in that, similar to spreading religion.

This is a intuition I had once. What if tourism is a new way of colonization. Not by attack with Armor or any violent mean, bit by slowly moving to the place and buying Real State, Erasing any trace of the Old Local Culture etc.. till after some 10, 20, 30 years the place had shifted to a new language, population and culture. Truly, if is to say about the Culture pf South Portugal I would say that today is almost Death. Apart of some Associations of Traditional Dance, Art and Music ,in the Mainstream Public Spaces, some cities became just Amusement Parks to Tourists, after the Season the places are Ghost Zones like an Amusement Park Abandoned. All was built to the Amusement of some people who dont live there. 

46 minutes ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

This is a intuition I had once. What if tourism is a new way of colonization. Not by attack with Armor or any violent mean, bit by slowly moving to the place and buying Real State, Erasing any trace of the Old Local Culture etc.. till after some 10, 20, 30 years the place had shifted to a new language, population and culture. Truly, if is to say about the Culture pf South Portugal I would say that today is almost Death. Apart of some Associations of Traditional Dance, Art and Music ,in the Mainstream Public Spaces, some cities became just Amusement Parks to Tourists, after the Season the places are Ghost Zones like an Amusement Park Abandoned. All was built to the Amusement of some people who dont live there. 

That is called globalization. It happens because it good for business.

I hate how the word "colonization" is being appropriated to paint a picture of victim hood when it doesn't technically apply and is mainly being used just because it is a charged word. its so dishonest. You are not being colonized. If you where, you'd wouldn't have a say in the matter.

58 minutes ago, Basman said:

That is called globalization. It happens because it good for business.

I hate how the word "colonization" is being appropriated to paint a picture of victim hood when it doesn't technically apply and is mainly being used just because it is a charged word. its so dishonest. You are not being colonized. If you where, you'd wouldn't have a say in the matter.

Do Palestinians Have a Say in the Matter?? Let call things by their names. Globalization is an eufemism. Eufemism is being deloued a lot by many to justify the injustifiable. 

5 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Do Palestinians Have a Say in the Matter?? Let call things by their names. Globalization is an eufemism. Eufemism is being deloued a lot by many to justify the injustifiable. 

The fact that you compare mass tourism and foreigner influx to being at war and getting bombed makes you look like a complete moron. You don't have an argument.

1 hour ago, Basman said:

The fact that you compare mass tourism and foreigner influx to being at war and getting bombed makes you look like a complete moron. You don't have an argument.

Well, when you see the Turistic Place Gaze will become after being reconstructed by Israel you come back here to call me Moron Again. There is different ways to colonise a place, one can be by violently casting the population away and getting their land or can be by visiting an area, buying the cheap land, and slowly replacing the local economy by your own. Of course, I am not saying for example that expats who buy Real State in Lisbon are similar to an Invasion, they are buying all legaly and many contribute to the development of the country, I am friend of some even. 

War can be physical, cultural and also financial. 

But yes  I need to be aware to not conflate things that may not be totally related and mix contexts. 

2 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Well, when you see the Turistic Place Gaze will become after being reconstructed by Israel you come back here to call me Moron Again. There is different ways to colonise a place, one can be by violently casting the population away and getting their land or can be by visiting an area, buying the cheap land, and slowly replacing the local economy by your own. Of course, I am not saying for example that expats who buy Real State in Lisbon are similar to an Invasion, they are buying all legaly and many contribute to the development of the country, I am friend of some even. 

War can be physical, cultural and also financial. 

But yes  I need to be aware to not conflate things that may not be totally related and mix contexts. 

Misuse of charged terminology makes it harder to have a discussion as you are not honest about the facts. You are not being colonized and you are not at war. Claiming such is an extreme exaggeration and untrue.

@Rafael Thundercat

13 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

It's semantics and words that have similar meanings. What you call colonization, and what you  described above, contrasting the 2 there, on that later half I refer to and others as a 'soft invasion'. By soft invasion, the other culture assimilates another culture, but through a decades long transformation, slowly changing the original culture in decades and in generations even, in the schooling system, to spreading of religion, to winning small favors here and there, maybe playing the victim to earn sympathy, changing the language, just slow changes over time...until the native majority becomes the minority in several decades. Same tactics were done in Russia and even in China. Of course I am not describing replacement theory, or how the the whites will go extinct as some global elite plans and blah blah. IMO ridiculous theory, it's actually Neoliberals destabilizing the foreign countries which makes immigration much more so, among other factors.

In a different context, if you look at 2 crime events, one involves intimidation/threats and even some roughing up, but the 2nd crime is more softer, coercion and blackmail, just soft underhanded methods instead of the violent ones. This is the different between Andrew Tate and some actual serial killer and mass murderer, one's very extreme and the violence is obvious, whilst Andrew's is mostly subtle in how he pimps the girls, how he evades taxes. One's a clear psycho killer, the other a con artist grifter.

I think as long as visitors respect the people and the land, it’s beautiful to travel and live in these countries. I say this as a gringo who lives in Mexico and Brazil and consider it more of a home than the US. I can see the other side too, and most of the Gringo traveling can be entitled dicks 

Lions Heart is my YouTube Channel- Syncing Masculinity and Consciousness

Lions Heart YouTube

7 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Rafael Thundercat

It's semantics and words that have similar meanings. What you call colonization, and what you  described above, contrasting the 2 there, on that later half I refer to and others as a 'soft invasion'. By soft invasion, the other culture assimilates another culture, but through a decades long transformation, slowly changing the original culture in decades and in generations even, in the schooling system, to spreading of religion, to winning small favors here and there, maybe playing the victim to earn sympathy, changing the language, just slow changes over time...until the native majority becomes the minority in several decades. Same tactics were done in Russia and even in China. Of course I am not describing replacement theory, or how the the whites will go extinct as some global elite plans and blah blah. IMO ridiculous theory, it's actually Neoliberals destabilizing the foreign countries which makes immigration much more so, among other factors.

In a different context, if you look at 2 crime events, one involves intimidation/threats and even some roughing up, but the 2nd crime is more softer, coercion and blackmail, just soft underhanded methods instead of the violent ones. This is the different between Andrew Tate and some actual serial killer and mass murderer, one's very extreme and the violence is obvious, whilst Andrew's is mostly subtle in how he pimps the girls, how he evades taxes. One's a clear psycho killer, the other a con artist grifter.

Yes, this is the point I was trying to make. 

3 hours ago, BlessedLion said:

most of the Gringo traveling can be entitled dicks 

Is this type of Gringo that locals normaly want to go away. In my city recently a group of 8 britons took of their clothes and danced naked one behind the other over the table of a pub. During the day!! and in a place where people are passing , teens, kids, families. 

https://www.portugalresident.com/eight-brits-identified-by-police-for-public-nudity-in-albufeira/

Eight British tourists were identified by GNR police in Albufeira last weekend after they were filmed naked in broad daylight at a local bar.

Videos of the raunchy behaviour have been shared on social media, showing several naked men in line, crawling on their knees, on top of a bar counter.

4 minutes ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Is this type of Gringo that locals normaly want to go away. In my city recently a group of 8 britons took of their clothes and danced naked one behind the other over the table of a pub. During the day!! and in a place where people are passing , teens, kids, families. 

https://www.portugalresident.com/eight-brits-identified-by-police-for-public-nudity-in-albufeira/

Eight British tourists were identified by GNR police in Albufeira last weekend after they were filmed naked in broad daylight at a local bar.

Videos of the raunchy behaviour have been shared on social media, showing several naked men in line, crawling on their knees, on top of a bar counter.

British tourists are unironically the worst tourists on earth. I don't know what it is with the UK that inspires people to be such twats when abroad.

13 hours ago, Basman said:

I don't know what it is with the UK that inspires people to be such twats when abroad.

A scientific research on it would be valuable 

19 hours ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

Yes, The British in generally are quite disgusting and obnoxious people. I have seen them disrespect and act horribly in many countries where the locals are beautiful and nice people. Brits ruining it for everyone. 

I’ve seen them acting like drunk animals in Bali , Brazil, Thailand, and Mexico, completely disrespecting and insulting the locals and their culture. Fuck Brits. 

Lions Heart is my YouTube Channel- Syncing Masculinity and Consciousness

Lions Heart YouTube