Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Richard Purdy

Why does 2 years ago feel like 10 years ago?

10 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone else has this, but the older I get the more it feels like events happened lifetimes ago. Even 6 months ago felt like 2 years. Anyone else have this? What's the explanation for this

I reckon you were here when the forum was spinning out of control a few months ago? 

Posted (edited)

I have the opposite, things that happened 30 years ago feel like they are fresh in my mind. When I look back at my life it feels like it happened in a flash 

Edited by Hojo

Posted (edited)

the experience of time is subjective. We only assume it's a shared experience. The more novelty you experience the slower time goes by. also tough emotional times stretch time out.

if your life is the same every day time will fly by

Edited by mmKay

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter .                    Restful Cube 

My whole life feels like last night's dream.

10 hours ago, Yimpa said:

I reckon you were here when the forum was spinning out of control a few months ago? 

I was in and out. What happened?

9 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

@Richard Purdy I have this too..very strange phenomenon.

I feel you. Things feel like forever ago. Personally do you feel it more and more as you get older?

4 hours ago, mmKay said:

the experience of time is subjective. We only assume it's a shared experience. The more novelty you experience the slower time goes by. also tough emotional times stretch time out.

if your life is the same every day time will fly by

Explains a lot. I went though a lot the past two years.

If you lead a poverty stricken life, every day will be very long because you will be miserable looking for food or shelter.

But the year will past by very fast because you probably didn't do anything special for the whole year. 

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Richard Purdy said:

I don't know if anyone else has this, but the older I get the more it feels like events happened lifetimes ago. Even 6 months ago felt like 2 years. Anyone else have this? What's the explanation for this

Yes, I also have this feeling.

More me, the key to this perception is  the diversity in experience and my personal development (mindset, values, taste, level of awareness,..). The more changed, the more 1 week feels like 1 month,  1 month feels like a year, 1 year like 10 years etc.

Edited by theleelajoker