Sidra

My aunt and two of my grandma's siblings have schizophrenia, should I try psilocybin?

14 posts in this topic

I've read lots of papers to see if one-time, intentional and controlled (set and setting) psilocybin trip could trigger persistent psychosis or schizophrenia in people with genetic predisposition to schizophrenia. The science is very patchy on this esp bec almost all trials screen out ppl w family history of schizophrenia.

So I feel my last resort before deciding is looking for anecdotal evidence. Anyone here with family history of schizophrenia who did psilocybin and were just fine (didn't develop schizophrenia or psychosis after)?

I hear a lot of stories of the opposite (ppl w genetic predisposition who do psychedelics and then develop schizophrenia). Should this then completely street me away from trying even once?

Also if anyone knows of papers of trials before they screened out ppl w family history of schizophrenia (probably in the 70's or 80's) when psychedelic research was less controlled please share <3

Also would it be safer to try MDMA instead? 

Plz share w me ur anecdotes (for ppl w family history of schizophrenia/psychotic disorders)   <3

They have the potential to amplify how you perceive yourself. The good, bad, and the ugly.

I can’t tell you how much of the truth you can handle. You’ll have to see for yourself.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t do any drugs at all

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Sidra Is there any way to screen for schizophrenia before one experiences symptoms?

2 minutes ago, Francis777 said:

@Sidra Is there any way to screen for schizophrenia before one experiences symptoms?

@Carl-Richard thoughts on this please

@Sidra Schizophrenia is a nightmare, not worth the risk especially if you are young.

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

Posted (edited)

On 7.7.2024 at 4:44 PM, Sidra said:

Plz share w me ur anecdotes (for ppl w family history of schizophrenia/psychotic disorders)   <3

My dad has bipolar type 1 and my uncle had schizoaffective disorder. I've done LSD a dozen times and didn't land in a psych ward (although I was probably close at one point, but it was probably more due to my general life situation and other drug use, not any single LSD trip).

On 7.7.2024 at 11:01 PM, Francis777 said:

There are some very general early signs from birth like reduced cognitive functioning, but those aren't very good predictors. You don't really get good predictors before the prodromal phase, which lasts anywhere from weeks to years before the "real" symptoms occur. Examples of prodromal symptoms can be depression, anxiety, social withdrawal, difficulties concentrating.

Clinical-and-pathophysiologic-course-of-schizophrenia-This-diagram-attempts-to-integrate.png

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

39 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

There are some very general early signs from birth like reduced cognitive functioning, but those aren't very good predictors. You don't really get good predictors before the prodromal phase, which lasts anywhere from weeks to years before the "real" symptoms occur. Examples of prodromal symptoms can be depression and anxiety, social withdrawal, difficulties concentrating.

sounds like a nightmare to diagnose

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Francis777 said:

sounds like a nightmare to diagnose

Well, not so much when you have the full-blown symptoms, but the stages before that can be difficult to pin down.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

My aunt has schizophrenia, my mother(sisters) has borderline and I probably am in a spectrum of neurodivergence.

I have experimented with all sorts of psychedelics and, sometimes, believed to have lost my mind.

This fear is an old company of mine.

But, I do believe that serious practices for controlling the mind and getting rid of its neurosis and traumas (at least, some), plus self-awareness, are a big protective against psychosis.

Those are foreign to most people who suffer from mental illness.

You have a big advantage here.

5 minutes ago, Recursoinominado said:

I have experimented with all sorts of psychedelics and, sometimes, believed to have lost my mind.

That’s quite literally the point :D

This fear is an old company of mine.

The old CEO doesn’t want to let go of power.

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

Well, not so much when you have the full-blown symptoms, but the stages before that can be difficult to pin down.

Yes, pre diagnose I meant. I wonder how beneficial an early prognosis is to managing the symptoms when they appear later in your life.

Edited by Francis777

If you are worried about your mental stability it is probably smart to seek a professional and lay of the psychedelics. Its not really for people who aren't mentally stable or have serious mental illness IMO in most cases.