cjoseph90

Youtube Premium

64 posts in this topic

Brave browser (at least on IOS) also now has a shorts blocker extension built in, for YouTube.

Posted (edited)

Absolutely worth it, I've had it for past 5 years and wouldn't go back. 

YouTube is essential for my work, relaxation, exercise, learning and so many things and I can't be losing brain cells to those retarded adds. 

Yeah, go for itl. YouTube music app which comes with it is pretty cool. The cost isn't extreme either 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

An add is like 5 to 20 seconds maximum, where is the problem ?

The devil is in the details.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't say I'm glad to pay for it, more like sad that I have to.

For me it's mostly just for having an ad-free experience, but if you're planning to use the other features as well, then maybe it's a fair deal.

Edited by Snader

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

An add is like 5 to 20 seconds maximum, where is the problem ?

Imagine if during your set of bench-press or squat when you are trying to be maximally focused and you need individed attention, someone comes and starts tickling you under the armpits or showing a magazine in your face saying "look, you need to read about this facecream!" And you're like "fuck off, I am in the zone" and they are like "no no, just 20 more seconds, look look!" 

And then they come back at random times again and again and each time you must exert a little bit of your mental wellbeing to say "fuck off" and each time you need to bring yourself back, your mind has to retrace the steps it has already taken, reactivate the correct pathways to get into the zone which completely destroys your deep work effort and significantly reduces your creativity and short term to long term memory conversion.

An add interruption lights all of your short term efforts on fire. 

And now imagine doing this 20-40 times a day, given that most videos have up to 10 add breaks , 7 days a week, that's tens of hours of disruption, annoyance needing to create a headspace for bullshit products that have nothing to do with your art, your life or your life purpose. And I'm not talking about double adds. 

It is also the cost of having your body flooded with adrenaline each time a bullshit advertiser disrupts you. 

And now imagine having to pay 12*15 euros a year to make it go away plus getting access to unlimited downloadables and cool interrupted music

Worth it every single time. I mean, its not right, I hate that we live in this world but that's the cost of you having an access to free content. You pay with your time and your attention and become a bitch to the advertisers. I'd rather become a bitch to Google and pay them to leave me alone. 

But it depends on the individual usage of YouTube. It can be a tool of deep learning and it can be a tool of complete horseshit of a content where an add is actually a step up rather than an interruption. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Worth it! I was fed up with poverty ads during watching videos. And it only cost less than two dollars in India.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Imagine if during your set of bench-press or squat when you are trying to be maximally focused and you need individed attention, someone comes and starts tickling you under the armpits or showing a magazine in your face saying "look, you need to read about this facecream!" And you're like "fuck off, I am in the zone" and they are like "no no, just 20 more seconds, look look!" 

And then they come back at random times again and again and each time you must exert a little bit of your mental wellbeing to say "fuck off" and each time you need to bring yourself back, your mind has to retrace the steps it has already taken, reactivate the correct pathways to get into the zone which completely destroys your deep work effort and significantly reduces your creativity and short term to long term memory conversion.

An add interruption lights all of your short term efforts on fire. 

And now imagine doing this 20-40 times a day, given that most videos have up to 10 add breaks , 7 days a week, that's tens of hours of disruption, annoyance needing to create a headspace for bullshit products that have nothing to do with your art, your life or your life purpose. And I'm not talking about double adds. 

It is also the cost of having your body flooded with adrenaline each time a bullshit advertiser disrupts you. 

And now imagine having to pay 12*15 euros a year to make it go away plus getting access to unlimited downloadables and cool interrupted music

Worth it every single time. I mean, its not right, I hate that we live in this world but that's the cost of you having an access to free content. You pay with your time and your attention and become a bitch to the advertisers. I'd rather become a bitch to Google and pay them to leave me alone. 

But it depends on the individual usage of YouTube. It can be a tool of deep learning and it can be a tool of complete horseshit of a content where an add is actually a step up rather than an interruption. 

Why are you writing all this just to say that the ads distract you. How a seconds-long shower gel ad can “destroy your deep work.” Nothing dismissive here.

Unless you spend all your time on YouTube scrutinizing short formats

@Schizophonia yes adds distract you but the issue is much deeper than that.

Anyways, let's just drop it, you're right this doesn't need to be a discussion 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

@Schizophonia yes adds distract you but the issue is much deeper than that.

Anyways, let's just drop it, you're right this doesn't need to be a discussion 

Since I watch spiritual stuff, now I get ads for “gaia” lol :ph34r:

And even more intimate things, which shows that big data has access to my WhatsApp.

Edited by Schizophonia

@Sincerity sounds to me like the marketing is sinking in 😁

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

@Michael569 thanks for your input, i get what you mean about paying a small price to not being disrupted by your flow/ work and the impact an ad  and ´´hours of disruption´´

Usually before it did not bother me so much, but when i do like guided/ meditations sounds, the annoyance of an ad popping up in between! ive recently started listening to motivational speeches someimes before going to bed, and sometimes fall asleep to them, so you can only imagiane what those garbage, meaningless ads are doing to my subconscious mind. 

I think ill bite the bullet..

On 7/6/2024 at 3:39 PM, Thought Art said:

Try not to promote stealing on here

Refusing to get 10 ads in a row showed down your throat = stealing?

On 7/7/2024 at 3:32 PM, Thought Art said:

@Exystem is it stealing?

It's is a free and open source community project. But sure, lets protect youtube's CEOs bonus checks instead.

On 7/7/2024 at 9:06 PM, Yimpa said:

Nice ad… I’ll skip.

Lol, the irony.

Posted (edited)

On 7/7/2024 at 0:54 PM, Sincerity said:

I spoke with my sister last week and she told me that a man having a non-apple phone turns her off.

And I view people who use Apple products as children.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, cjoseph90 said:

so you can only imagiane what those garbage, meaningless ads are doing to my subconscious mind.

this is EXACTLY what I mean when I said, it isn't a 20-second issue. Its the damage that this is doing to the part of your brain that you are trying to train to pay effortless attention, to be comfortable with silence and stillness. In a world dominated by noise and giant mountain of horse shit created by content "creators" , being able to pay sustained attention, say for 3 hours at one time is almost a superpower and it will make all the difference when you are trying to self actualise, fulfil your life purpose or do any meaningful work. 

No, honestly if you can burn that extra money, give it a 3-month trial and then reflect on whether it helped or not. or get a family membership if you live with more people that way everybody has to chip in a few bucks. 

Edited by Michael569

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I post this video every time I see an apple vs pc debate in this forum.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

On 7/7/2024 at 9:54 PM, Sincerity said:

It’s a matter of preference then. To me the 3 vertical cameras look ugly and weird. Literally alien phone. But I’m biased of course. :D

I spoke with my sister last week and she told me that a man having a non-apple phone turns her off. She said it gives her an „unclean vibe”. I laughed and told her this is shallow but then I thought there’s actually something to it.

I notice that young people (up to 30) with non-apple phones are quite often somehow weird. Like not properly socially calibrated. I dunno. Just my observation.

You are from the US, aren't you?

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

That’s biased. I’m sure you can see the appeal of an iphone. Not everyone needs high customizability and the like.

Many linux users would probably say they view Windows users as children. 

18 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I post this video every time I see an apple vs pc debate in this forum.

Never owned a mac and I don’t think I will. Many other great & slick laptops to choose from. 9_9

4 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

You are from the US, aren't you?

No, Poland. AND I’m in IT. So as a (current) iphone user I’m the anomaly. ;)
I very much respect the movement of right to repair, high internet security and privacy, open source software, high customizability etc.. I think it’s great but I won’t obsess about it.

Edited by Sincerity

2 minutes ago, Sincerity said:

Wow, okay. Then your sister's comment doesn't make sense to me at all.

1 hour ago, Sincerity said:

That’s biased. I’m sure you can see the appeal of an iphone. Not everyone needs high customizability and the like.

Many linux users would probably say they view Windows users as children. 

Never owned a mac and I don’t think I will. Many other great & slick laptops to choose from. 9_9

I very much respect the movement of right to repair, high internet security and privacy, open source software, high customizability etc.. I think it’s great but I won’t obsess about it.

Poland here as well ;) Google Pixel 6 Pro user.