MarkKol

Gaining muscle = waste of time

138 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The amount of time people take out of their day to work out, cook and eat in a caloric surplus is insane, I personally couldn't handle it, I felt like I was missing out on so much stuff in the real world, so let's be honest, nobody does it for longevity or health, they all do it because they have body dysmorphia.

Joe Fazer is 6'4 (193 inches) and skinny, a full-time YouTuber with over 1,5m subs, probably the perfect body type for most women, and even though he improved his looks substantially by working out, eating better, and taking Accutane he's still insecure, he's still taking steroids at his age, he's still getting DHA spray painted to look more tan. What a joke! 99% of men look worse than this dude, including myself.

I couldn't count how many times I said to myself "I don't look good enough for her", it happened today as well.

Edited by MarkKol

Posted (edited)

Gym rats gonna gym rat.

Going to the gym to get girls is stupid.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Guys relax going to the gym is fun, building muscle and getting stronger is fun, doing athletic sports and challenging yourself is fun.

if you’re doing it because you’re insecure and you’re desperate for a specific ego image of how you look like Then you missed appoint. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

25 minutes ago, integral said:

Guys relax going to the gym is fun, building muscle and getting stronger is fun, doing athletic sports and challenging yourself is fun.

if you’re doing it because you’re insecure and you’re desperate for a specific ego image of how you look like Then you missed appoint. 

99% of people do it for aesthetic reasons, and they lie to themselves. The same shit goes for people who want weed to be legal, a pothead will talk about the benefits of weed for hours but in reality, he just wants to get high.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Gym rats gonna gym rat.

Going to the gym to get girls is stupid.

It just so obviously makes you more attractive that I'm not sure how it can not be smart to do that. If a girl loses weight and becomes more attractive to a guy, is that stupid?

You're really projecting here my man... and generalizing like crazy. I think it's you that has some insecurities.

Going down the bodybuilder route is not good for aesthetics, health and fights (as Muhammed Ali explains the third one). This doesn't simply apply to getting muscle in general.

41 minutes ago, numbersinarow said:

If a girl loses weight and becomes more attractive to a guy, is that stupid?

It's different for women, it's probably worth it for her.

42 minutes ago, Luminescence said:

You're really projecting here my man... and generalizing like crazy. I think it's you that has some insecurities.

I do, and I'm generalizing cuz It's true. Do you actually think that these immature teenagers with perfect health will go out of their own way just to be even more healthier? they don't, they're doing it because they have body dysmorphia, most of them. 

I'll give it to you for the old people in the gym, they probably started going because they noticed their health declining.

As someone who has fell into this trap, I can confirm that it was certainly true for me.

It initially gave me a boost in confidence but quickly became a trap in that my confidence was tied directly to how my body looked.

3 hours ago, numbersinarow said:

It just so obviously makes you more attractive that I'm not sure how it can not be smart to do that. If a girl loses weight and becomes more attractive to a guy, is that stupid?

If you're 60lbs overweight of course it's good to lose that. But you don't even need to go to gym for that.

Gym rats are doing something else.

I am a hardcore gym rat. Ama

@Leo Gura i mean don't girls like men who are fit and have a good physique ? 

i get it, most of the results in socializing and being good with women, come from massive social experience with women face to face. but still it's a nice bonus to be fit and have some muscles. 

also maybe within pick up it doesn't matter as much, but within other things like dating apps, it would be much more of an advantage. 

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, Majed said:

i mean don't girls like men who are fit and have a good physique ? 

Not really.

It's a question of opportunity cost. You'd get more sex if you spent the time you spend at the gym talking to girls instead.

Going to the gym for the sake of girls is quite delusional. If you wanna go to the gym to please yourself, fine. Just be honest about that. Don't do things to please some imaginary girl.

Edited by Leo Gura

It seems to me that you are judging it because of a bad personal experience. 
I love going to the gym and I know that a lack of muscle mass in your body can cause many health issues.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura yeah i see what you mean, but isn't the ideal to do both? go to the gym and talk to girls ?

Edited by Majed

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Heaven said:

a lack of muscle mass in your body can cause many health issues.

There is no such thing as lack of muscle mass. Your body has exactly as much much muscle as it needs to do its tasks.

You don't tell cats and dogs to lift weights to be healthy. They got exactly the muscle they need to do their thing. The reason you care about muscle mass at all is for egoic reasons. A dog doesn't care about his muscle mass.

Edited by Leo Gura

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

There is no such thing as lack of muscle mass. Your body has exactly as much much muscle as it needs to do its tasks.

You don't tell cats and dogs to lift weights to be healthy. They got exactly the muscle they need to do their thing. The reason you care about muscle mass at all is for egoic reasons. A dog doesn't care about his muscle mass.

That's true in a narrow perspective.

However gaining a lot of muscles helps you with staying healthy.  Your bodyweight, blood circulation, immune system etc. For me that's not egoic. Staying basic fit should be everyones concern.

Posted (edited)

Staying healthy is important but has nothing to do with muscle mass. Gaining muscles mass is often done by comsuming unhealthy things.

Gym rats are not doing it for the health.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura again, gaining a lot of muscles help you exactly with that .

You can gain a lot of muscles in a healthy way. 

I think most people are not knowing and thinking every muscular guy in the gym is eating like a bodybuilder on steroids. No, just some balanced food with a bit extra protein and lower carbs is enough.

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's a bit misleading.

You absolutely can suffer from muscle atrophy, especially after an injury or a period of bed rest. Inadequate protein / caloric intake can also be a contributing factor, along with metabolic issues. Many people are suffering from being "skinny-fat" right now, where they have low muscle mass and high fat, which can contribute to conditions such as diabetes and cardiovascular issues. Body composition matters.

We can also mention all the various genetic muscular dystrophy conditions, such as FSHD. 

Then there's age-related sarcopenia, which is one of the top conditions we are concerned about for people getting older. With loss of muscle comes a downward spiral of decrease in bone-density, creating a perfect storm for seniors to take a fall.

Losing muscle is very possible and not optimal. And you can use resistance training to improve this. It's well-proven.

50 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Gym rats are not doing it for the health.

That I agree with.

There certainly is a lot of ego, vanity and general immaturity that goes on in gym culture. 

Edited by aurum