MarkKol

Gaining muscle = waste of time

138 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, OBEler said:

You just choose an excuse to not go to the gym 

I went to the gym for 15 years. It did nothing to get me laid. Except for one time when a girl who worked at the gym hit on me and I went on a date with her.

1 girl in 15 years of gym. And I didn't even end up sleeping with her because I wasn't much into her.

It's not muscles that make you healthy, it's health that makes you muscles.

I did the whole gym rat fantasy. And I got nothing to show for it. Not muscles, not good health, not sex. Just a lot of bullshitting myself.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

my new workout song

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I went to the gym for 15 years. It did nothing to get me laid. Except for one time when a girl who worked at the gym hit on me and I went on a date with her.

1 girl in 15 years of gym. And I didn't even end up sleeping with her because I wasn't much into her.

I did the whole gym rat fantasy. And I got nothing to show for it.

I now understand what you mean. 

Ok first off bulking is extreme unhealthy. I did that in my 20 years training for half a year until I recognized how stupid and unhealthy it is. Yes if you mean that as a gym rat, forget it.

My claim was about going to the gym, doing some weight lifting and eat at least a bit clean gives you tons of healthy benefits. You cannot deny that.If you get girls with that is a complete other topic because if you have shitty genetics, training will not do much. I go to the g not for girls but for getting these health benefits and because I enjoy it.

Edited by OBEler

@Leo Gura In my experience, a combination of cardio and some weight lifting (not anything extreme, like 30-45m training), plus healthy eating, and as a result losing the weight and being fit improved my self-esteem and self-image and as a result that improved my social interactions, including with girls.

Do you call that a delusion or some other thing?

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, bazera said:

@Leo Gura In my experience, a combination of cardio and some weight lifting (not anything extreme, like 30-45m training), plus healthy eating, and as a result losing the weight and being fit improved my self-esteem and self-image and as a result that improved my social interactions, including with girls.

No, I don't call that delusion.

Yes, losing weight certainly improved my self-confidence because I hated myself when I was fat.

But you don't even need to exercise to lose weight. That's a myth.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura

39 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I did the whole gym rat fantasy. And I got nothing to show for it.

It's for me really hard to see people struggling at the gym just for motivation of getting girls by that. It seems you are one of them. 

Don't go to the gym because of girls. Go to the gym to get all these positive health effects we are here talking about. It's amazing helpful for your health as long as you can execute the exercises properly.

6 minutes ago, OBEler said:

It's for me really hard to see people struggling at the gym just for motivation of getting girls by that. It seems you are one of them. 

I didn't go for girls. I went for my own ego.

19 minutes ago, bazera said:

Thats called being defined by the external that's not masculine behaviour.Outside is now the thing that will determin your self image your confidence vs you defining yourself.That's where real inner self growth really starts.

Its like a woman putting on make up to.feel better about themselves its good when you are emotional.

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

No, I don't call that delusion.

Yes, losing weight certainly improved my self-confidence because I hated myself when I was fat.

But you don't even need to exercise to lose weight. That's a myth.

That's just basic thermodynamics.

Anyone that's a gym rat is keenly aware of this basic idea that you can burn more calories by controlling your diet versus exercise.

I was about to make an argument for why going to the gym is positive

But the truth is many people break down their bodies by being to harsh with them

Probably better to be the yogi that is gentle with his mind and body, as opposed to wearing down that connective tissue through ego training

Benefits from resistance training though main ones would be:

1. mind stays sharps. best way to retain cognitive function

2. and insulin sensitivity

11 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

Thats called being defined by the external that's not masculine behaviour.Outside is now the thing that will determin your self image your confidence vs you defining yourself.That's where real inner self growth really starts.

Its like a woman putting on make up to.feel better about themselves its good when you are emotional.

i mean it can be a bit of both

egoic motivation

but also being motivated by the health benefits

Edited by PenguinPablo

9 minutes ago, PenguinPablo said:

Probably better to be the yogi that is gentle

Yogis destroy their knees.

@PenguinPablo My point is pure egoic but internal ,which you control vs you giving others to say how your ego is shaped. It took me years for outside to stop influencing the internal foundation still in the process tho...

Posted (edited)

Going to the gym is like building your retirement fund, but instead of money you're building your "health fund" from which you'll be able to withdraw 

Because higher proportion of muscle mass is associated with higher quality of health in men and women past the age of 50+ 

At some point you'll start losing that muscle mass, it is pretty much inevitable, and by that time, the more you have, the longer you'll remain healthy, compared to someone who had little muscle mass to begin with and hos body is in severe catabolic state which is basically an onset of disease. It will also protect your testosterone levels from rapid drop and that'll have positive effects on your brain, heart and your 🍆 being able to work propely

There's more to it for sure like mental health, detoxification, benefit for your digestion etc

Secondly it builds up your discipline, teaches you self control, helps you appreciate slow progress and the concept of hard work to achieve a tangible result compared to wanting quick results for no work like investing into some shady scheme.

But any reason where the gym is done to impress someone or get a girl or, only to lose weight for a wedding or something like that is completely stupid

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

42 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I didn't go for girls. I went for my own ego.

Why not go for exactly that which it can give you in a very effective and efficient way: good health (physical and mental)

@Leo Gura one last question regarding the muscle topic: But doesnt it also give you a status boost, when ur more muscular? Because people respect you more and in general in our society its more valuable and more desirable than being skinny.

Also it signals evolutionary advantages. Like that he can protect you better, discipline, hard work.

14 minutes ago, Sufi25 said:

@Leo Gura one last question regarding the muscle topic: But doesnt it also give you a status boost, when ur more muscular? Because people respect you more and in general in our society its more valuable and more desirable than being skinny.

Also it signals evolutionary advantages. Like that he can protect you better, discipline, hard work.

You don't need to ask leo for that.

Absolutely yes on all points.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, OBEler said:

Why not go for exactly that which it can give you in a very effective and efficient way: good health (physical and mental)

That's what I went for but it didn't give me good health. Health is too deep of a thing to bullshit your way into. You can't just lift your way into good health unless you already have it to begin with.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Sufi25 said:

As I said, there are many factors to attractiveness. It is some factor. It's a question of significance.

Edited by Leo Gura

If you're in a situation where you have many opportunities to talk to girls, you would unquestionably rather be shredded if you wanted to get those girls, than not be.

I'm not arguing for being a 400 lbs muscle-head or taking steroids.

But the process of gaining muscle can give you a serotonin and dopamine rush as well as a confidence boost which might be what a depressed person needs.

@Leo Gura What kind of physical exercise is healthy for you? What do you do?

As a certified gym rat (previously callisthenics, currently powerlifting), I have found consistent exercise without much monitoring of my caloric intake as one of the most direct methods of increasing my wellbeing. I’m 5’10 205 lbs with about 8% body fat. I don’t do it for the girls or looks, but rather because that’s the only way to ground myself after 10-12h of math. Different body types gain different amounts of muscle, so you shouldn’t get hung up on that. From my experience being this buff does get looks, but if you can’t talk for shit with women it doesn’t really change anything.