Lifelover88

When Did Getting What You Wanted Not Make You Happy?

16 posts in this topic

Sometimes getting what you want doesn't make you happy. Can you share an example of when you realized this in your own life? 

I find this most true with acquiring material luxury items, like a fancy watch or expensive TV. It never makes you happy like you hoped.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Drugs can't make you happy.

Partying can't.

Sex can't.

Only awareness.

Happiness comes in many flavors, And has an expiration date. Suffering and emptyness seems to be more of a constant.

Some people get happy by accumulating stuff. For short period of course.

But once you become aware of some stuff or some deep awakenings occur you get less attached with short term gratifications. Enjoy when they come but dont take as so fantastical as before. Yesteday I saw a man watching the Football on Tv and he was very anxious about it, almost like it was his own life on stake. When I see this now is like watching a child afraid of the boggey man under the bed. 

9 hours ago, Lifelover88 said:

Sometimes getting what you want doesn't make you happy. Can you share an example of when you realized this in your own life? 

Girlfriend 🥲

It's Love.

Material items are 100x more enjoyable when you see them for what they are meant to be in your life, peripherals, extensions. No matter how lavish they are.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I find this most true with acquiring material luxury items, like a fancy watch or expensive TV. It never makes you happy like you hoped.

I've noticed this. Maybe it's repressed emotions (hey sadness, hold on wait til I buy my lambo then we'll be happy!) 

For me it was money. I sold my house and while it was great to not be worried about money I got super demotivated and depressed.

Edited by Dabidoe

Getting what you want on the mind and spiritual level is so much more satisfying than getting any material thing long term.

Happiness for me is development of my mind and when i get it its more satisfaction than happiness.

I knew it wont make me happy early in my teens.

Edited by NoSelfSelf

There is nothing safe with playing it safe.

@Lifelover88 Achievements also do not make one happy. We chase progress so much, but in the end, the happiness fades and you jump onto something else. Its very fleeting.

Once I really wanted to adopt a big rabbit and I really really wanted it, and I thought it was the perfect idea. But then I got one. But she ended up chewing on my cables and generally not having a good time living in an apartment. Both me and the rabbit was very sad. Had to arrange for her to go live at the countryside instead. Since then I've enjoyed the thought of big rabbits existing but at the same time being very happy about not living with one. 

Understanding the hedonic treadmill.

Sometimes the process and anticipation of getting what you want is more enjoyable than the final product.

Sometimes giving is more enjoyable, especially when you see how the other person needs and appreciates it and how it affects their life.

A good friend of mine was accepted into the program of her dreams, really difficult to get into. She was happy, but felt waves of sadness because she only realized then how much she'd lose by moving away to this program. The downside suddenly seemed so salient that she couldn't see the upside. It's good to remember that with mindfulness and other exercises we can work on the downside and the upside to make what needs to be more relevant, relevant. I like John Vervaeke's work on that matter.